2014/2015 Player movement rumours

Ocko

Re: 2014/2015 Rumour Thread of doom!

Sheincar said:
wildthing74 said:
He's an incredible player but wasted on the 3rd line.Stick him with imports and he will average over a point a game as he has done for many years.
But didn't he get moved down to the 3rd line because he wasn't cutting it on the top 2 lines?
I wouldn't say so. He only went to the 3rd line when we had to accommodate Rama who just couldn't cut it at this level, so was babysat by Mac and Lord. And Ben was injured. Then the only player who could play centre was Kurka and Myers (Ben was injured) so Kurka went as centre on the second and Myers as centre on the third.

He was up and down the lines, IMO he was never dropped as such more we had to juggle the lines. He still finished well ahead on points than Mo and Ben and wasn't too far off Maxi so he couldn't have been that bad considering the rest of the team.

ASHIPP

Panthers' fans have been talking since before Xmss about how unhapppy Matthew has been (alledgedly cooments from his father in a conversation at the NIC. Certaily that would be borne out by his body language at times...and possibly even in his performancr.

Good player as he is, he has not delivered last season with all the fanfare and expectation such an experienced British player. Hopefully if he is around next season he will demonstrate the skills and experience that can help this team strive for success. The Devils may need that help more than the Panthers.

wildthing74

I stand by it and as Ocko said I think him being centre was why he got bounced around and balance lines.His points were still decent playing on all 3 lines over the season and was used massively on PK and his face off win % I would guess were among the high end in comparison to other centres.

I agree he at times looked pretty pissed off but then again when your brother gets gassed for seemingly non hockey reasons I guess you could understand that.

My gut instinct is even with a 2 yr deal I don't see him being here next season but I think if Whis is given the right budget and is able to recruit the right type of players to compliment Myers & Kurka we could still see him shine in a Devils shirt.He was far and away one of the best players most times we faced his Panthers teams so clearly they were able to get the best out of him.

voth26

Ocko said:
Voth26, I think we all expected more of everyone within the organisation this year not just Myers. Did anyone come out of this season with any glory other than Tyson Marsh and Mac Faulkner?

Panthers would bite your arm off to get Myers back, which speaks a lot of me.

There is also the point that on balance of the lines and import numbers would mean we need a 2 British players capable of playing on either the second line or the main role on the third. If Ben comes back he takes one of those, who takes the other if Myers doesn't return? Pigsy and CJ are great energy players and perfect 3rd lines wings but don't have the points production or experience to centre the third or play on the second. There wasn't room on the roster for Hill and Myers at the beginning of the season, and rightly or wrongly Hill went and won't be coming back. There just isn't the calibre of British players around we can play on a top line without paying a premium that we dont have.

I want Myers to come back and would be amazed if he didn't.
There are also people on the cage who dont want myers back as well!! but just to clarify im not againt myers coming back but that im not bothered either way, if he came back and played like we know he can im all for it but if he performs like he did most of last year then no. we automatically slate imports if they dont play well cause there is a massive pool of them but we tend to accept crap performances from brits because as you rightly say there isnt a large pool of good calibre brit players.

ASHIPP

Incidentally for the stats freaks:

Rama 18 games for Devils .5ppg

Kurka 40 games for Devils 1.2ppg

Myers 60 games for Devils .7ppg

wildthing74

ASHIPP said:

All well and good but stats depend on your fellow line mates too.

Ocko

wildthing74 said:
ASHIPP said:

All well and good but stats depend on your fellow line mates too.
Wildthing74 has it spot on.

Seeing as Myers has been touted as a third liner on here that isn't a bad production considering his linemates aren't prolific scorers. Rama's is terrible when you consider he was on a line with Mac and Lord.

ASHIPP

Agree with that but I would add that Matthew played on the second and top lines . He was heralded as an impact player.

Ben came back from injury and scored 4 goals in his first 2 games back.

Finny

I thought Myers struggled at first, possibly with so much expectation on his shoulder.
After a month or two though he seemed to be back to his old self and was really impressive. I'd be gutted if we lost him - same goes for Richardson, Ben and Batch.

DevilDom

Finny said:
I thought Myers struggled at first, possibly with so much expectation on his shoulder.
After a month or two though he seemed to be back to his old self and was really impressive. I'd be gutted if we lost him - same goes for Richardson, Ben and Batch.
I think we will lose at least 2 possibly more of those 4. After the season we have had and what I can only imagine will be a reduced budget for next season the areana team vultures will be circling the Devils looking to pick off our best Brits.

Wannabe2

DevilDom said:
Finny said:
I think we will lose at least 2 possibly more of those 4. After the season we have had and what I can only imagine will be a reduced budget for next season the areana team vultures will be circling the Devils looking to pick off our best Brits.
Unfortunately i think you are spot on.

Skippy

But those teams already have Brits ?

I know that wont fit the doom and gloom agenda but why would the arena teams finishing in first, second and wherever the Panthers ended up bother poaching from second last ?

A clear out might not be the end of the world anyway after last season's brilliant results.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Ocko

A clear out of Brits isn't needed because who will replace them?

The same goes for the arena teams, if they sign any of ours then that will force out one of their other existing british players. This isn't like football when you can just fill your squad. Players want to play every game and don't want to be on a 4th line. I don't think we'll see much movement with our Brits at all.

DevilDom

skippy said:
But those teams already have Brits ?

I know that wont fit the doom and gloom agenda but why would the arena teams finishing in first, second and wherever the Panthers ended up bother poaching from second last ?

A clear out might not be the end of the world anyway after last season's brilliant results.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
No trying to be doom and gloom - just realistic.

Richardson is the best British D man in the league IMO. Davies is the most exciting young British forward in the league and scored 38 points in 56 games.
Batch is a rare breed of very good young British D men in the league. Myers was a treple trophy winning player the season before and is highly regarded in nearly every other rink the league.

I would imagine all will have very good offers from other teams and if they leave who will we replace them with? More young guys?

Whilst I agree a clearout of some players is inevitable and not wanting to drag the thread down into another discussion about off ice issues these players did not become bad players in 1 season. They should be the core around which next seasons roster is built.

ASHIPP

Fully anticipate the departure of some of our British players sadly. Without debating whether any of them would want to stay at Cardiff, the fact is that good British players are at a premium. The arena clubs have the finances to maintain several of them on their roster together.

Devils simply can't afford the wage demands of that many good British players....AND bring in some decent imports.

wildthing74

I agree with Dom. I know budget dictates any player movement but I would rather us tie these 4 down before any imports as you simply just can't go and replace them.
Imports are 10 a penny and as much as we all have our favorites they are all replaceable but top Brits who are prepared to play out of a tent in a city that geographically is not in the best location for travelling are not.
I'm all for a fresh team but I would rather changes be limited.This was a good team in terms of imports and Brits. We just need good direction,some luck with injuries especially in net and no outside interference.

Rumour doing the rounds that Mac Faulkner is off to Belfast ...if that turns out to be true, I wouldn't be surprised to see Blight end up there (Or stay in Sheffield)

Hope it's not true, as Mac is captain for a reason!

ASHIPP

scottydoesntknow said:
Rumour doing the rounds that Mac Faulkner is off to Belfast ...if that turns out to be true, I wouldn't be surprised to see Blight end up there (Or stay in Sheffield)

Hope it's not true, as Mac is captain for a reason!
With the announcement of 5 core players returning to Belfast, Adey is already rebuilding.
Giants have the resources to pick the best. They are a very attractive prospect in many different ways.

Don't be suprised that one or two other Devils' players might get offers from there or end up there.

There may just come a time when our Club won't lose some of it's best players to other British clubs.

Finny

ASHIPP said:
There may just come a time when our Club won't lose some of it's best players to other British clubs.
We can but hope.
Oh for the days when at the end of the season we would think about the top players from other teams and wonder which we would be bringing to Cardiff.