2014/2015 Player movement rumours

James

Administrator
Re: 2014/2015 Rumour Thread of doom!

Martynwo said:
Regarding fixtures...he may want Saturdays, not me...even more reason not to buy a ST now
Not sure if Finny can corroborate it but hasn't the attendance been a lot better on a Saturday?

Chris

Administrator
Thread starter #105

Home games on a Saturday seems like a good idea from the travelling point of view, whilst we probably couldn't guarantee all of them it's got to be better than having to travel to any of the Scottish games, play Saturday night and then travel back for a home game on Sunday.

If it meant our home form was better than our away form, that might go some way to improving things. I know I mentioned it, and i'm sure it was by a few others but I can't remember who now, but if our home and away form had been reversed this past season, perhaps things wouldn't have seemed quite so disastrous.

I have always preferred home games being Saturdays meaning you have that nice feeling of still having Sunday off work

Make sense having the games on a Saturday. It also means I don't have to go to work on a Monday with a hangover. It's far easier for travel on a Saturday plus my partners kids love hockey and can only really do Saturday games as they will have school on the Monday. I think from a family pov Saturdays are a great idea

davew

Sunday is hockey night.

Remember one of the forums at the coal exchange....

Brent "what night do you want home games played (or words to the same effect)?"

The Floor responnded with all hands voting for Sunday

Brent " You (the floor) would say that wouldn't you as you are ST holders"

Saturday may be better for the likes of Belfast (flight issues) but we should start saying to them we play you at the O on a Friday, not a Saturday.

IF we are going to change the home nights then arrange it before ST renewals are due not after...

I feel a lot of refund requests will be made if the majority of games fall on a sat. night.

I hate Saturday games at the moment as there are way too many drunken idiots walking to the bar etc in the middle of play and frankly If they want to drink - stay in the bar and let us watch the flipping game!

ASHIPP

Whilst Saturday games stink for a lot of people with work commitments (me included) if it is good for the majority and helps the team in terms away performance v home performance then there is an arguement for Saturday games.

Hopefully next seasons team will be fresh and competitive both home and away....feel the top 4 will have a massive influence again in the fixtures meeting.

Ocko

Sunday night may have been traditionally 'hockey night' and it might be better for some, but is it better for revenue?

Also, the forum at the coal exchange, whilst having committed fans in attendance, did not and never would provide a genuine cross section of the complete paying audience. I'm trying not to offend anyone here but the majority in attendance at these things are 40+ years old. Most younger fans can't be bothered with fan forums etc and prefer the whole Saturday night out thing than a Sunday match.

But fan preference shouldn't make a single bit of difference, what is best to get results out of the team should be. If Whis feels we would be stronger by having Saturday games at home, them I'm happy to go with that. You might lose a few fans who prefer Sundays or cannot attend but having more home wins and better performances would bring in more supporters than lost, compared to Sundays with less wins and worse performances after a night of travelling.

Ocko

And afterall this is a professional sports club, you would never see Liverpool or Man Utd arguing over a particular day or fixtures because of fan preference. Fixtures are decided based on what is best for the team and business.

davew

If we have no choice but to change, It is very, very important that we stick to one face off time, and avoid all the problems of making it awkward for those of us that rely on public transport to get home.

Football and rugby fans will either have to miss a game or turn up late. We also need to educate our fanbase to arrive earlier than 2 mins before the game starts to avoid chaos both with parking and finding their seats.

As far as alcohol is concerned I would love it if we adopted the scottish approach to no alcohol at your seat. In the new arena it would be great if the north american approach could be followed, only having certain blocks where alcohol can be drunk at your seat.

As far as team travel is concerned, it never caused many issues in clubs early years where frankly we had some insane coach trips.

Ocko

The only time you would ever miss a game due to football would be a 1730 Saturday kick off or the more common 1600 Sunday kick off.

With Cardiff City almost certainly getting relegated the 1730 Saturday kick offs will be all the more unlikely as that is mostly for Sky which they will be on an awful lot less in the Championship. Most games will be Saturday at 1500, so we shouldn't have many clashes.

DevilDom

Just to bugger up the discussion a bit - I like a mix of Saturdays and Sundays and can see the benefit in both! :lol:

Saturdays allow me to have a couple of beers as I don't like drinking on a school night and its also better for my son with not having school the next day. However Saturdays do often clash with other things.

Sundays have always been Hockey night to me and its great to have something to look forward to at the end of the weekend (well maybe not this past season!). There is also the benefit of there being not much else to do on a dark, cold, winter Sunday night so less competing interests. Maybe an earlier face off time on a Sunday would be good? Say 5pm?

ASHIPP

5pm face off on Sunday? What about fans who work in Sundays? Any earlier than that and some of us will miss most of the game. It's ok for those who have every weekend off but we are paying customers who love hockey too.

Keep the face off times exactly as they are. At the mo at least most of us get to see some of it rather than only 1 period.

I would like more Saturday games at home, due to Sunday work commitment, but it not for us to force the hand

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

ASHIPP

In the big scheme of things what is good for the teams/s will drive decisions. Fans have naff all influence.

jodysstillagirlsname said:
In the big scheme of things I feel it will go with the biggest attendances as its all about the money not what is advantageous to the team
Or what's left over from the arena teams

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

DevilDom

ASHIPP said:
5pm face off on Sunday? What about fans who work in Sundays? Any earlier than that and some of us will miss most of the game. It's ok for those who have every weekend off but we are paying customers who love hockey too.

Keep the face off times exactly as they are. At the mo at least most of us get to see some of it rather than only 1 period.
Keep your hair on, it was just a suggestion! Maybe a poll would be a good indicator of what fans would prefer?