Steelers vs Devils Saturday 18th 7pm. Chat/Updates

In terms of a coaching change - I really want to give Adams the benefit of the doubt. Until the start of this season, I think that his coaching record stands up - he took over a tough (politically charged) situation in 06-07 and got us to the play off final. Last year he took us top of the league until injuries kicked in.

I just have a gut feeling that Adams would be a big loss to the club - especially in terms of his blunt 'will to win' attitude.

Also, not many people have come up with a feasible replacement for Adams. Seeing Lawless return would certainly have a fantastic feel good factor but, let's face it, he's been away from the British game for too long and is settled back in Canada. Steve Moria is another player that I loved, but he didn't exactly cover himself in glory at Basingstoke - and his Slough team is a little inconsistent at EPL level. In my opinion, Dave Whistle put together the most entertaining Devils team in recent times (04-05) but his lack of loyalty would leave a big question mark in my eyes. I'm not sure what the Ed Patterson situation is, but I believe that someone mentioned that he is successfully settled back in Canda.

However, (whilst accepting that there are probably 100 reasons that make it a 'non starter'!!) I would suggest that the perfect Devils 'dream team' would see Mike Blaidell tempted back to this country as head coach - with Adams as his assistant. An NHL forward and a gritty defenseman - both with 'win at any cost' attitudes. Ok, Blaisdell's last season at Nottingham wasn't fantastic - but that can be quickly passed over when looking at his previous coaching record. Would Adams be prepared to accept a demotion? Probably not in most cases, but him and Blaisdell are very close friends and maybe it might just be a prospect that excites him.

In terms of the playing front, I would offer the constuctive point that Hinks is probably the best passer on the team. Unfortunately, he goes hiding and loses so many puck battles that he very rarely has the puck on his stick to make a pass. For this reason alone he is the forward that needs to be cut in order that we can bring in a goalscorer.

Also, with the current roster it is pointless playing Silverthorn and Voth on the same line. They need to be split up in order to spread our scoring threat (what there is of it!!) over two lines. Prpich had a great start to the season (and is a good player) but he is a grinder and an aggitator first and foremost (as is Campbell).

Just a few thoughts.

John

JPM42 said:
Thanks. Got to admit I feel for Matt and Fleur for all they've put and are putting into the club and hope that the boys start to play real hockey soon........
Yeah. Can't help but feel they are being sold short atm by the some of the rubbish we are seeing on the ice. They deserve better.

Finny

Payette is a donkey said:
I think bringing back whis would be a great move
Oh yes please.

Dave "I'm only in it for the money" Whistle would definately be the answer to our problems.

How many trophies did we win under Whistles big bucks team?
Why did he leave us?

Finny

fordy66 said:
bring back Ed Patterson.....he has the contacts out there. he found us mark smith, max, and tyson......

Good contacts. If not great contacts.
Unfortunately no agent will go near him anymore. But if you ignore that and the fact hardly any of 'his' team wanted to return the next season......and we haven't even got to the financial mismanagement yet........

Finny said:
Payette is a donkey said:
I think bringing back whis would be a great move
Oh yes please.

Dave "I'm only in it for the money" Whistle would definately be the answer to our problems.

How many trophies did we win under Whistles big bucks team?

Why did he leave us?
Not sure why, but his wife was cut from the Devil's organisation to make way for a certain #88 and it did not sit well.

Finny

trevthedev said:
so what does Finny suggest is the answer to the problems we are currently facing?
Patience whilst we bring in new players and injured players to get fit.

Did anyone really think we were going to beat the Steelers who were full strength? What with us being 2(?) imports down and having spent £1000+ less than them?

If you did then you're even more faithful than me (Bless you) and rather stupid (God bless you)

It's simple, we suck and are now confirmed as a bottom-of-the-table team.

Our defence is generally ok, our offence however is not and we need to bring at least 2 players who can score well.

A

Anonymous

trevthedev said:
so what does Finny suggest is the answer to the problems we are currently facing?
Bury his head in the sand and pretend all is hunky dory!! He'll probably roll out the usual crap excuses that we're all sick to death of.

Finny

august04 said:
trevthedev said:
Bury his head in the sand and pretend all is hunky dory!! He'll probably roll out the usual crap excuses that we're all sick to death of.
And you post even more negative crap than Bob.
I don't even know why you call yourself a Devils fan.
--------------

No!

Finny said:
Stop posting sense John. This thread is for knee-jerk reaction idiotic ill-informed morons.
These people aren't morons, they're loyal Devils fans who are fed-up watching/following a crap team who are doing the Devils name a great deal of shame. It's time to realise how crap this team is and do something about it.

Finny

El Supremo said:
These people aren't morons, they're loyal Devils fans who are fed-up watching/following a crap team who are doing the Devils name a great deal of shame. It's time to realise how crap this team is and do something about it.
The fact that you disagree with me proves to everyone I'm right.
Finny wins.

A

Anonymous

Finny said:
august04 said:
trevthedev said:
And you post even more negative crap than Bob.
I don't even know why you call yourself a Devils fan.
Dumbass.
Yeah I do call myself a Devils fan actually and been a season ticket holder for the majority of the Devils existence. I expect better than we're getting at the moment and have a right to express that opinion. If you don't like it, don't read it. What an intelligent put-down, you're even more stupid than I thought.

As Finny says, and there is a reason Ed was "released" or "walked"....

Think tactics need to be changed TBH, this defensive hockey doesn't work for us and didn't work for Hull last year.

IMO sack Hinks, bring in Aldridge (assistant coach maybe?) for 2nd line and bring in another import (cheapish- maybe someone who hasn't got a team for some reason). Then we will have 3 decent lines.

Roll on tomorrow i guess

Sammi

I'm now really glad that I didn't buy a season ticket. After tomorrow night's game I think I might give a few matches a miss until the team start playing good/entertaining hockey.

Finny

And why do you expect a better than we are at the moment?

Are we the most succesful team in recent years?
No. Yet people are suggesting we bring back those coaches.

Are we getting the biggest crowds in the league?
No. Not even close.

Do we have the best rink for the players to play and train in?
Are you serious?

So I ask you again - why are you expecting better than we are doing? We are paying players £1000+ less than the big 4. We are missing 2 of our top players. And you think we should be beating one of the top teams away when they are full strength?

And I'm supposed to be the unintelligent one???????