steelers Vs Devils - CC 1/4F - 7th Dec 22 - 19:30 FO

Slartibartfast

We have been here before. Approaching Christmas and very inconsistent. Often we get it sorted by Christmas and have a decent run at the title. So I understand why some have hope. Other teams also struggle at this time of year. But there is something different with this team. Problems that have been there for months don't look like being resolved despite lots of line juggling. We still have a second line that looks like a third or fourth. We still have leaky D that make bad decisions and keep passing to our forwards skates instead of their sticks which kills the breakout.
The shame is we have a good first line with Sanford on fire and we have Brits like Waller, Duggan and Ben Davies doing a great job. But between those is a huge gap filled with very mediocre imports and behind it all is the weakest D we have had in years.
It is fixable but it needs a change which is why I keep saying 1 forward and 1 D could turn it all around.
Im not a huge fan of Crawford but he is racking up the points. I would swap Thompson for a large dependable defensive D man like McNulty. He wasn't flash but he did his job.
Up front I think Crandall, Reid, Brittain and Penny are all replaceable. Maybe swapping just one of them will give us the chemistry they have never been able to achieve together.
Last year Coughler replacing Dupont sorted out the forward lines and adding McNulty settled the D. Lets hope we can do something like that again.
If we stick with this team as is its going to be a long and painful season.

Hedd Wyn John

We have been here before. Approaching Christmas and very inconsistent. Often we get it sorted by Christmas and have a decent run at the title. So I understand why some have hope. Other teams also struggle at this time of year. But there is something different with this team. Problems that have been there for months don't look like being resolved despite lots of line juggling. We still have a second line that looks like a third or fourth. We still have leaky D that make bad decisions and keep passing to our forwards skates instead of their sticks which kills the breakout.
The shame is we have a good first line with Sanford on fire and we have Brits like Waller, Duggan and Ben Davies doing a great job. But between those is a huge gap filled with very mediocre imports and behind it all is the weakest D we have had in years.
It is fixable but it needs a change which is why I keep saying 1 forward and 1 D could turn it all around.
Im not a huge fan of Crawford but he is racking up the points. I would swap Thompson for a large dependable defensive D man like McNulty. He wasn't flash but he did his job.
Up front I think Crandall, Reid, Brittain and Penny are all replaceable. Maybe swapping just one of them will give us the chemistry they have never been able to achieve together.
Last year Coughler replacing Dupont sorted out the forward lines and adding McNulty settled the D. Lets hope we can do something like that again.
Reid & Penny seem to be hitting a run of good form at the moment. I don't think Brittain is fully fit & Crandall is pretty solid in my view.

change the whole team is that what you are saying ?

its getting depressing seeing giants,steelers and most teams making changes and the devils doing nothing to try and change a team that's clearly struggling.in years gone by we would have seen changes by now.we have'nt even got injury cover for coughler whos been out for weeks.its clear to see that this team is not capable of competing with the big arena teams and won't compete for silverware and finish 5th at best.i wonder why we are not acting and trying to improve the team.

Open question.
Which players on this current team if any, would you take in place of what players on the 2019/20 team that didn’t finish that season?
No need for explanations just who on this roster you feel is better!
Brit for Brit and import for import and like for like position!

I’d take Coughler over Pope and Sanford over Bentivoglio and Waller for Rutkis!
So for me only 3 of the current team would get anywhere near that team!

Kevlar68

Open question.
Which players on this current team if any, would you take in place of what players on the 2019/20 team that didn’t finish that season?

Can I just ask, why that team specifically?

RedDevil17

Open question.

Agree with that. Crawford gets in that team over Reddick though for me.

Afternoon All

Come one, come all - we cordially invite you to the Q&A pregame in the main bar with Todd at 5:45pm tomorrow.

Rather than speculate online, this is your opportunity to ask all of the questions in person, that have been raised on this thread and forum in general, regarding our 2022-23 team, performance and organisation.

Here is a link to the Q&A story online - https://www.cardiffdevils.com/news/weekend-preview-devils-v-giants-2/ for those of you who may have missed it.

See you tomorrow!
Katrina

On behalf of Todd Kelman (because he doesn't have an Inferno account!!)

moggy#9

Yeah I can see why you’d say Crawford but for me I think Reddick exemplified team spirit!
He’d go through a brick wall for the badge on the front of the jersey and there aren’t many on this roster you could say that about!
Yeah, but reddick was too small and regularly got outmuscled. He scored she nice goals, but defensively I thought he was a liability.

kingmo19.1

Afternoon All

Come one, come all - we cordially invite you to the Q&A pregame in the main bar with Todd at 5:45pm tomorrow.

Rather than speculate online, this is your opportunity to ask all of the questions in person, that have been raised on this thread and forum in general, regarding our 2022-23 team, performance and organisation.

Here is a link to the Q&A story online - https://www.cardiffdevils.com/news/weekend-preview-devils-v-giants-2/ for those of you who may have missed it.

See you tomorrow!
Katrina

On behalf of Todd Kelman (because he doesn't have an Inferno account!!)
I bet £10,000 that not one Forum Keyboard Detracting Warrior will have the balls!!

E.D.S.

Todd doesn’t have an account, yet knows enough to call out criticism here in a Q&A. Hello Todd ;)
Whether he knows or not got to respect the guy for wanting to front it and have a good dialogue with the fans. Ask him anything… what’s the worst that can happen?! Wish I could make it.

Diablo3

Todd doesn’t have an account, yet knows enough to call out criticism here in a Q&A. Hello Todd ;)
Do you really think Todd doesn't know what gets debated on here? He has mentioned several times before he sometimes uses KW's account if he want's to add any comments. It's not a secret.

Also, this is the first place twitter users go after a loss so they can quote an inferno meltdown even though they are having one themselves.

Not hard for Todd to gauge the mood.

Whether he knows or not got to respect the guy for wanting to front it and have a good dialogue with the fans. Ask him anything… what’s the worst that can happen?! Wish I could make it.
Not sure he actually wants to hold a Q&A fielding questions about the inconsistent performances of the team etc.
More likely an exercise in damage limitation after fan criticism of the poor performances etc.
The very fact we’re even having a Q&A regarding team performances speaks volumes!