steelers Vs Devils - CC 1/4F - 7th Dec 22 - 19:30 FO

Rempel16

Who would you replace them with?

It's easy to say that we want to bring in better players, and I too want to see at least one addition.

But where are these players?
I forget which article it was, but I think it was either Sheffield/Belfast that said that the free agent market is really poor this year compared to normal. It's not like teams are signing players mid-season that I wish we had signed.

Guildford signed a forward last week that if we signed people would be rubbishing his stats.
Belfast have signed an ex-players of theirs who won't be in for a couple of weeks and has been playing rec hockey for the past 18 months.

For whatever reason there doesn't seem to be the available pool of players to sign additions/replacements from that we usually have,
You wouldn’t want to have signed Danny Kristo?

Samael

Hmm, lots of assumptions we are running with a reduced budget but no actual proof or confirmation from the club on that front.

I doubt we are - otherwise a number of players would have not resigned for this season and we’ve now got 4 two-way players also on the books plus a full time assistant coach! It would not have been cheap either to bring back Jardine and Martin (from higher paying leagues).

The rink is almost full each game, the sponsors are all still there, the merch has been selling well for a number of seasons.
I agree with this, there is no evidence the club is running on a low budget this year compared to the usual suspects who have more spending power. Gate receipts are good (for now) and it's not like there has been a mass exodus of sponsors. I do think there is merit in the belief the owners are being careful too though. I think if someone becomes available who will improve the team they will be signed but I don't see them rushing out and signing any old crap just to keep some panicking entitled fans happy. Todd and the Calgary 4 know what they are doing, if this year doesn't yield lots of success domestically I trust they will take the necessary steps in the off season to change that as they are passionate fans like us at the end of the day.

august04 2.0

Who would you replace them with?

It's easy to say that we want to bring in better players, and I too want to see at least one addition.

But where are these players?
I forget which article it was, but I think it was either Sheffield/Belfast that said that the free agent market is really poor this year compared to normal. It's not like teams are signing players mid-season that I wish we had signed.

Guildford signed a forward last week that if we signed people would be rubbishing his stats.
Belfast have signed an ex-players of theirs who won't be in for a couple of weeks and has been playing rec hockey for the past 18 months.

For whatever reason there doesn't seem to be the available pool of players to sign additions/replacements from that we usually have,
They’re out there, if you can attract them to come here and afford to pay them. Thankfully it’s not my job to find them! But Ben Blood just re-signed for the Pelicans and several Finns have come back to their domestic league from the KHL, so that will have caused a trickle down effect. I often wonder if we are too focussed on North America and not looking so much at Scandinavia and Eastern Europe?

Finny

You wouldn’t want to have signed Danny Kristo?
He was signed back at the start of October. I was talking about more in the last month or so.

Plus, his points scoring so far doesn't seem to be what Sheffield fans were expecting? Our only import forward to score less goals than him is Brandt and he only has a couple of assists more than Penny and Britain.

Personally, I think we need a defensive defenceman. 2022's version of Tyson Strachan.

moggy#9

He was signed back at the start of October. I was talking about more in the last month or so.

Plus, his points scoring so far doesn't seem to be what Sheffield fans were expecting? Our only import forward to score less goals than him is Brandt and he only has a couple of assists more than Penny and Britain.

Personally, I think we need a defensive defenceman. 2022's version of Tyson Strachan.
Yeah, our defence needs sorting. Not only a shut down d man, but rethinking the pairings.

lloyd_jeff

It might simply be a case of Dupont is here for the next few yrs at least to learn and get a grip on being a coach and build into a very good coach for the future. The last thing the club will do is announce they expect dire results at the beginning with improvements over months into future seasons, so suck it up. The reality might be fans either accept this reality or come back when we’ve grown into a competitive team.
Or there is a real possibility the clubs future is in doubt and they’d prefer to bank the money than wasting it on the last yr or two.

Rempel16

Cheers for the reply.

Kristo doesn't necessarily need to be scoring, his impact has been to influence games and bring scoring out of others. Players are available, it's just about putting up the money.

Agreed about the defensive defenceman. We also need an offensive defenceman and a Kristo.

lloyd_jeff

I can only think of the FA cup in football…the rest home team keep gate receipts?
Almost all American major leagues engage in gate revenue sharing. The National Football League (NFL), Major League Baseball (MLB), and Major League Soccer (MLS) share revenues through a central pool. Each club contributes a fixed percentage of its gate revenues to this pool, which is distributed equally among all clubs. The National Hockey League (NHL) has a more complicated arrangement, where only teams that have revenues below the median and small media markets are eligible to receive support from revenue sharing. Introducing local revenue sharing was also reported to be one of the issues on the table during the recent lockout in the National Basketball Association (NBA). To the best of my knowledge, however, the details of the new NBA revenue sharing rule have not been made public yet. In contrast, European soccer clubs, along with the Australian Football League (AFL), share (almost) no gate revenues. Both the Bundesliga and the English Premier League (EPL) have arrangements to share revenues from cup games, yet these constitute a minor portion of the teams' schedules. Interestingly, both the EPL and the AFL had sizeable sharing arrangements in the past but, contrary to the U.S. leagues, chose to abolish these.