steelers Vs Devils - CC 1/4F - 7th Dec 22 - 19:30 FO

Hedd Wyn John

You are right it isn't his job to sell tickets in Sheffield but statements like this are designed to create hype, it is pantomime season after all, which is exactly what this is. If we lose he will look foolish, he is well aware of this. I'm more worried about the result of the actual game than what the coach is saying to the media pre game.
I get that, I just think it helps fire up the opposition which makes it more likely that we lose.

Paul Sullivan was doing Wally's podcast the other night and talked about the Devils world record win streak back in the day. & he said whenever they saw something negative about the Devils in the press that was then printed off and put on the dressing room door to motivate the team. So I only see downsides from Duponts comments.

hip check

As long as we're up for it as much as they are I don't see any reason we can't get a reasonable result up there, going into a match worried about what they're gonna throw at us because of a comment from our coach is straight away showing lack of confidence in our own ability to take the game to them.
Saying that I think we will be a couple of goals shy come the end of the game but not because of what Dupont said purely on the balance of probability.

jenks33

Strange one. DuPont’s comments just seem so unnecessary. Fingers crossed they galvanize our boys but you’d have to think it’s more likely to motivate Sheffield. For a coach that usually answers questions with a straight bat/doesn’t criticize the opposition I suspect Todd may have asked him to try and spice up these two games.

Paul Sullivan

Context and headline writing are a bitch though eh? The full quote:

"Anyone who gets in our way of a trophy we want to bulldoze, it is not easy to do that so we will need to come with our 'A game' and go from there."

I like that that is the attitude in the room regarding trophies. We have never shied away from saying we want to win trophies in the new era, and I don't have a problem with honest buildup. I doubt this headline will decide the result, any more than Bownsy not playing there seems to be under their skin will.

That's the BBC journo doing their job more than it is Dupes not doing his, imo.

moggy#9

I thought that the devils were the better team for much of that period. The Steelers goal even seemed against the run of play. Then for the last 5 minutes there seemed to be one mistake after another. This team desperately needs a big shutdown defenceman to calm things down.