Steelers v Devils - Sun 6:00pm - Chat/Updates

Koop11

Finally made it into work having had a late night coming home from Sheffield. I’m shattered but boy was it worth it. We never looked like we were at risk of losing this game. It was controlled from the first puck dropped. We were by far the better team over the two legs and completely deserve to be in the finals.

For me the most encouraging thing over the series was the general discipline we showed. We were in Sheffield’s faces but did not react and this really got under their skin. Last night we let them take all the penalties, bar a couple of ones we took in the 2nd and it paid off. Not so much because our PP is awesome (we all know it isn’t) but with Sheffield having to chase the game they were struggling with every minute that went past SH. Towards the end Sheffield had nothing to lose and through everything forward. We hit them on the break and sealed a convincing quarter finals win.

Smithy and Lyle for me were the best players out there last night. Lyle all series has been more than solid and is as good as any gaolie I’ve seen in this league of late. Since having a slow start to the season, Mark Smith is back at his very best. This guy is a working machine. If he ever gets turned over he’s skating back and winning the puck. He vision and speed is class and the one area where he has tended to struggle is his finishing has been very strong in recent weeks. Another two goals last night to add to his playoff tally. Great player and one I would love to see return.

The players’ reaction when we won was pleasing to see. As the guys walked back to the dressing room you could see how pumped they were that they’d qualified. I’m very pleased for Gerad and the lads.

Stepping back for a moment, Sheffield are a struggling organisation. Considering this was a playoff game and their last game of the season the crowd was tiny. There was no atmosphere at all apart from us Devils fans. A good chunk of the crowd were kids which makes you wonder what the profit margin would have been last night for a team paying very high rental costs. I’m not sure the Steelers will be able to sustain a competitive team playing out of the Sheffield Arena. I think the sooner the proposed YES project is up or a move to Ice Sheffield the better because despite disliking much of their organisation, I would not want to see a successful team like Sheffield fall under.

Back to us and 7 seasons of Elite League Ice Hockey with 7 seasons qualifying for the Playoffs Finals weekend. Buzzing! However, the horrible stat in the previous 6 six seasons is that we’ve never won it, despite coming agonisingly close. Maybe this year? Good luck lads!

I made a snap decision to go to sheffield after the game on saturday night. got home started looking for a lift and a ticket (thanks again rhi for the driving) the ticket was slightly more difficult to obtain. i waited for ages in the morning on the phone an was told we could pick them up. As with lots of other devils and steelers fans we got stuck on the M1 and trust me there were a fair few of us. We called the arena etc and were trying to keep up to date with MNL to see if faceoff would be delayed, no such luck. The box office also told us that they were staying open until 6.30 only and if we werent there by then and hadnt bought tickets we should call and do so because we wouldnt be able to get any otherwise :| .

As for the game...well it didnt matter all the drama of getting there with the traffic and the stupid woman in the silver car who let the entire motorway in in front of her because the boys were fab!! :D

Apart from taking a few silly penalties in the 2nd our discipline was as good as ive seen it all year. In my heart i wanted voth to cream sgroi but the redder and redder sgroi's face got when he was trash talking voth and brad was just laughin back made it so funny it was better than him making his face pulp.
If anyone was there can you please tell me how sgroi didnt get 10min miscounduct penalty when he royally threw his toys out of the pen and was going mental right in carsons face?? especially when he had done it the night before as well?
tylor was gritty as anything yesterday as he always is, romfo impressed me and jarvo and hill were playing out of thier skins as was stevie but all the boys played well and just controlled the game from the off to close the steelers out of it by the end of the 2nd i think. all the atmosphere came from the devils fans, i could barely hear anything from thier side. Although i think the 'finnerty's a devil' chant got under their skin majorly esp when he got man of the match oh yeh and i do think he scored that first goal didnt he :lol:

Well played boys, on both legs and not weve squished the sqeelers lets have a great playoff weekend and win it!! I think we can win it as i agree with someone's earlier comment that no one has been outstanding this year. We know we can play on big ice and we know we can win big games so lets do it (it would be amazing esp if its some players last season with us 'cough cough' to send them off with a playoff trophy)!!

Bring on the Playoffs!!!!

Glad I made the trip up :D first time i've ever seen the Devils win away from home ;)

Steelers started where they finished yesterday... bad disipline, we converted the first PP and game over!

Second period Steelers started pushing forward more, and left us loads of openings to attack. Lots of Steelers fans will probably complain about the amount of odd-man rushes etc we got, but they're usual dump-and-chase rubbish was never going to win them this game now, and we converted our chances well.

Third period - game not in doubt, probably could of piled more misery on the Steelers if we were a bit more clinical on the break, but hey, I won't complain. We even managed to cheers the Steelers last goal!

Kinda feel bad for the Steelers fans (one was actually in tears! whilst her bf screamed anti-welsh abuse at us). They really should ditch their blind faith in Matsos, he makes a boring team even when winning. To be fair though, one Steelers fan sorted us out with free tix last game - they're not all bad :cool:

Also, Smithy appears to be well over his injury! Fantastic game (and the past few too), just what we expect!

RED ARMY!

Scott said:
Glad I made the trip up :D first time i've ever seen the Devils win away from home ;)

Kinda feel bad for the Steelers fans (one was actually in tears! whilst her bf screamed anti-welsh abuse at us). They really should ditch their blind faith in Matsos, he makes a boring team even when winning. To be fair though, one Steelers fan sorted us out with free tix last game - they're not all bad :cool:

Also, Smithy appears to be well over his injury! Fantastic game (and the past few too), just what we expect!

Scott, i have to ask, why the hell did you go if you'd never seen the Devils win away, and knowing what an important game this was to our season, you should have stayed at home lol:

Fair do's to the vast majority of Sheffield fans and even the Arena announcer, the fans were gracious in defeat, wishing us Good Luck for next weekend, and even the announcer praised the noise levels from the visiting fans, who didnt stop supporting the boys for the entire game.

Highlight for me, seeing Simmsy walking around the arena pouting, at one point he even barged his way through a Devils supporter he was that angry, all in all very amusing.

I have to agree, Smith has been awesome over the last couple of weeks, but this weekend i dont think you can single any player out, i thought they all did a brilliant job.

A big well done to the 150 plus fans who made there way up and cheered, sang and supported the boys into the Play off Finals, bring on Nottingham.

SPEEDACE said:
Scott, i have to ask, why the hell did you go if you'd never seen the Devils win away, and knowing what an important game this was to our season, you should have stayed at home lol:

Haha...

My curse had to end at sometime, and since we were 2 goals up - I took the chance, and it paid off. :mrgreen:

to be honest as great as they have been over the last couple of games that doesn't warrant a return for next season, we've needed them to be on form throughout the season and that just hasn't happened for some reason or another. I would like our first line to be slightly higher in points production, max birbraer is 22nd in points and mark smith is 24th, not really a first line player position.

Rempel16

nmase20 said:
to be honest as great as they have been over the last couple of games that doesn't warrant a return for next season, we've needed them to be on form throughout the season and that just hasn't happened for some reason or another. I would like our first line to be slightly higher in points production, max birbraer is 22nd in points and mark smith is 24th, not really a first line player position.
Birbraer on his day yes.

Smith I would undoubtedly take back next season. The guy has been visibly playing throughout most of this year with an injury, and still has played well.

However, the last month, he has been back to his blistering best and one can only assume that he is now 100% fit and raring to go. If he can have an off-season where he is able to put in some on-ice training, and ready to pick up where he left off in August then we will most likely see the league MVP again.

Rempel16 said:
nmase20 said:
Birbraer on his day yes.

Smith I would undoubtedly take back next season. The guy has been visibly playing throughout most of this year with an injury, and still has played well.

However, the last month, he has been back to his blistering best and one can only assume that he is now 100% fit and raring to go. If he can have an off-season where he is able to put in some on-ice training, and ready to pick up where he left off in August then we will most likely see the league MVP again.
Totally agree !