Steelers v Devils - 04/09 - League - 7:00pm

Sliput

I admit i was really disappointed with the result last night,not so much that we lost but by the margin we lost. I also find it a bit ironic that the player a few people were a bit dubious about signing (myself included) turns out,so far to be doing really well, Justin. I dont think we need to start panicing yet but i agree with others that any decisions need to be made sooner rather than later. I wont panic if we lose tonight either because i think Belfast will be ''the'' team to beat this season and are not expecting us to win.

A

Anonymous

It may sound odd but tonight is probably more about the performance than the result. Although I'd rather us play naff and win, but there's not much chance of that happening against the Giants.

A good, solid team effort is needed, anything else is a bonus.

The match report is up already on the D's site. Good work!!

ASHIPP

Firstly well done to the Steelers for such a convincing win. After everything that has gone on up there this Summer,the team and fans deserve something to smile about. Outstanding netminder. No pre-season matches, some players only arrived this week, short-benched - very impressive display under those conditions. Cardiff and Coventry, take note! :twisted:
As for the Devils, oh dear. :oops: It's been too long beyond memory to think back to the last time the Devils started their season by hitting the ground running (Finny - can you tell us when the Devils last had a v really strong start to their season?). Seems the pre-season sessions haven't paid off as they had hoped. Not having watched the match it's impossible to comment specifically - but perhaps some posters have a point here that G would be in a much better position to make decisions and judge the game if he was coaching from the bench?
Of course, this is very early days yet. BUT, as G and everyone else knows, away defeats put even more pressure on the team to win at home. Without a good home win record, no team can expect to be in the top few positions in the League. Over the last couple of seasons, Devils' home record has been one of the best in the league. Infact, had their away performances been as good, the Devils would definitely had broken into the top 3 places last season.
Let's see what happens tonight.

I said that Stevie's new pads were a bad omen! Bring back the lucky ones from last year.

DevilDom

Rempel16 said:
I have to disagree that the pp was bad. I thought it looked allright, we are definitely skilled enough to actually set up and create chances.
Sorry, I couldn't disagree more with you on this. We had a lot of PP and failed to score any including twice having 5 on 3 for over a minute. In fact Steelers looked more likely to score on the breakaway then we did! From what I remember we seemed to play around with it too much before shooting and when we did shoot we miss-hit a lot of shots. Mcrae In particularly looked out of place on the PP and afraid to shoot from point.

Fair enough, they played rubbishly last night. Yes we should have got off to a better start there's no denying that, but let's get some things in perspective. Yes the Steelers have a rookie coach, but he is an ex-nhl player, i.e. one of the best players in the world. Even if he hasn't coached before, do you not think he would have spent some time with the best coaches in the world. The team that the Steelers have is one built full of leaders, they are supposed to excel when the chips are down. Their first home game after the off season they've had, you always knew they were going to put up one hell of a fight. After our great game against Coventry, maybe we went in to this with an attitude that was too relaxed. Can you honestly see G putting up with that? tonight will be different. Give them a few games together and then lets pass comment.

Talk of sacking the coach or the players already? After one game? Honestly? Would things like this happen up in the NHL? One game into the season? Some things do make me ashamed to be welsh, somethings make me ashamed to be British, but oh god, somethings make me ashamed to be an inhabitant of this planet (The others include our obsession with celebrities, wanting to avoid a parking ticket for parking on a pavement, reality tv shows, and big brother but that's another topic all there).

ASHIPP

Block 2 Noise Boys said:
According to Dave Simms while commentating on the sky game, he mentioned our score against steelers and said the Cardiff devils have got no chance of winning the league this season

DS is obviously the font of all knowledge - wonder if he can give us an insight to next week's lottery numbers, so I can buy the all-seeing twit a one way ticket to Antartica - where he can bore the penguins to death :lol: :lol:
It's not so much the knowledge (or lack of, maybe) but lack of class. :oops: He's gloating his team won, and rightly so, but let's get it into context, it's WEEK 1 of the season! What a difference in commentary on Sky4 last night. It was actually a pleasure listening to Paul Thompson's views instead of DS's drivel. :roll:

Rempel16

DevilDom said:
Rempel16 said:
I have to disagree that the pp was bad. I thought it looked allright, we are definitely skilled enough to actually set up and create chances.
Sorry, I couldn't disagree more with you on this. We had a lot of PP and failed to score any including twice having 5 on 3 for over a minute. In fact Steelers looked more likely to score on the breakaway then we did! From what I remember we seemed to play around with it too much before shooting and when we did shoot we miss-hit a lot of shots. Mcrae In particularly looked out of place on the PP and afraid to shoot from point.
Nothing wrong with that Dom, we all see the game differently and I respect your opinion.

I just felt that we were able to setup and move the puck about with relative ease, something I haven't seen from a devils team in the elite league era.

We lost possession a few times as the steelers played an aggressive pk and pinched from our point men to break. Like I said my concern was we were playing wrist shots from the point rather than slap shots. I genuinely believe our pp, whilst not scoring yesterday, is still going to be a big threat this year and I think once they get the one they will score a bunch.

Sliput said:
I admit i was really disappointed with the result last night,not so much that we lost but by the margin we lost. I also find it a bit ironic that the player a few people were a bit dubious about signing (myself included) turns out,so far to be doing really well, Justin. I dont think we need to start panicing yet but i agree with others that any decisions need to be made sooner rather than later. I wont panic if we lose tonight either because i think Belfast will be ''the'' team to beat this season and are not expecting us to win.
I think the margin reflects the way we played and that we deserved no more. A lesser margin would have looked to fans at home that there were some positives from last nights game. Fact is there was none and if anyone who watched the game thinks there is then please tell me as I must have missed them

Sliput

jodysstillagirlsname said:
Sliput said:
I think the margin reflects the way we played and that we deserved no more. A lesser margin would have looked to fans at home that there were some positives from last nights game. Fact is there was none and if anyone who watched the game thinks there is then please tell me as I must have missed them
Thats what i meant !! I was disappointed that we lost by ''That much'' because it meant we miust have played rubbish. I was at the game on Wednesday and thought we looked like a team that could...i repeat could become a very promising one. Thats why i dont understand why we were pants last night.

wildthing74

We had way more of the play Finny but we weren't driving the net to pick up the numerous rebounds that came our way.
Sheffield just wanted it more than we did,simple as that and were prepared to break at speed even SH.We could not cope with that but when I think back and having calmed down I can't believe we got held to 1 goal.

Finny said:
Highlights now online:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbUd4jqotqs

We actually seemed to have a lot of chances but our shooting was awful.
Really enjoyed those highlights.

Steelers one timers found the back of the net (x3 - if i remember correctly but 1 disallowed). Devils one timers from the slot found Mr Mustokovs glove/body. Happy days. I thought he did well considering...

I thought the Steelers forwards looked very sharp and very quick.

Whoever had the puck on the 3 on 1 for you and shot wants shooting himself...and the static looking defence reminds me a bit of Sheffield's last year! :shock: