Steelers v Devils - 04/09 - League - 7:00pm

I know this is brought up all the time, but seriously - can't we have more pre-season friendlies so the players have time to get used to playing together. Just looked at the Devils stats on this site, and for the past 3 seasons we've lost 2 out of our first 3 games and wouldn't bet against that again this year. And what about a pre-season friendly against someone other than Coventry - like a foreign team... or even if we played an ENL team for some shooting practice.

Hopefully it was just first game nerves and we'll be vastly improved tomorrow. As most people are saying on here, we've got a roster of players who are capable of beating anyone this season and we should be up there, so lets hope they prove that tomorrow and in the coming weeks. It's a long season, but we can't afford to fall too far behind if we are to be realistic title contenders this season.

Despite tonights result, can't wait for tomorrows game. Lets go Devils!

Because a pre-season helped Sheffield to score five goals....oh wait they didn't have one, and were missing two imports and had a layer thrown out.

The excuse about not gelling can't be used tonight, Steelers have hardly met each other. If we want to win the league a slow start isn't good enough.

We either need a new coach or a few new players if things don't improve quickly

A

Anonymous

I'm as mad as you are dude, but thats just nonsense talk, no offence mate but we need to keep it real here.

Finny

TheStub said:
Remember, the Steelers have a lot to prove in this opener. A lot more than us - a unit that is still gelling. A poor off season, major changes - they need to show that they are a strong team.
For the past week or so I was confident that our better preperations would mean we would win in Sheffield. However, after reading, listening and watching a couple of interviews with the new Steelers coach I had a really bad feeling about tonight. After all that had gone on they had to give everything tonight - and it sounds like they did. I wouldn't be surprised if it catches up on them tomorrow and they lose in Dundee.

Disappointing result, and I think the change in fixtures is going to be bad for us after all.

Nottingham deserved the win the Giants came out strong but faded, We look solid at the back ( a sh goal and a pp goal conceeded) A point at the NIC aint too shabby, if our forwards can click happy days.

Dont be too worried its your first real game of the season and Shuff had a point to prove.
(Willl be at yours tommorow :cool: )

TheStub

ledgend777 said:
I know this is brought up all the time, but seriously - can't we have more pre-season friendlies so the players have time to get used to playing together. Just looked at the Devils stats on this site, and for the past 3 seasons we've lost 2 out of our first 3 games and wouldn't bet against that again this year. And what about a pre-season friendly against someone other than Coventry - like a foreign team... or even if we played an ENL team for some shooting practice.
I quite agree. We need to sort getting as much experience as we can pre-season. Now matter what, it can't hurt.

I mean, I'm sure there are EPL sides out there who wouldn't mind testing their mettle against an Elite :)lol:) side.
bluedevil said:
This may be a new record for the "sack the coach" post. I'm with Finny here - I wonder how much the Steelers put on the line for this, and I am more interested in seeing with my own eyes how we fair on home ice tomorrow.

In terms of changing players - personally I would rather stability season to season rather than trying to throw new players into the mix. Teams win matches, and teams need to gel.

bluedevil said:
Because a pre-season helped Sheffield to score five goals....oh wait they didn't have one, and were missing two imports and had a layer thrown out.

The excuse about not gelling can't be used tonight, Steelers have hardly met each other. If we want to win the league a slow start isn't good enough.

opps - i did mean to mention in my previous post that sheffield have had even worse pre-season with regards to games and gelling, which really only adds to my point that we need more games if we can't beat a team who were missing players and had hardly any games / time together at all.

As for the new coach, new players comment - I actually agree if you mean that say after a couple of months players are not playing to their potential. Obviously need to give them a chance a few games / weeks first though.

kettdevil1

Two hours driving back down the M1 hasn't dulled my frustration at tonights game. Individual errors by Symonds, McRae and (horribly) Lyle meant that we were always up against it and against a defensive and good looking Sheffield team there was no way back.

The first period started with a bang with the Devils putting in hit after hit. Sadly the Sheffield nettie was in top form and we began to lose heart especially as we gave up a goal from a Symonds error.

The second period was not good and we began to drift towards last years away performances... more errors allows Sheffield to go 3-0 up (why do Talbot and Legue always score against us??) and Hewitt's horrible slash was correctly punished (although not before Sheffield thought they had scored again..... Ref Carson must have missed the penalty but thankfully one of the linos alerted him after Legue had put the puck in the net.

We were chasing the game throughout the third period and Matzka's nicely taken goal was reasonable reward, however, our game was summed up by Lyle presenting the fifth goal on a plate to Sheffield.

Apart from that the main entertainment was Mr Voth. Clark took exception to a check, offered out Brad and then refused to remove his helmet. so Brad removed it for him with one punch. Exit Clark to have his stitches, exit Brad patting his head which was either a reminder of the need to remove helmets or his version of the Ayotollah. Bizarrely Carson called it as 2 minutes each...

Positives? Sawyer once more showed that he can play hockey. Tyler never gave up and the away support was excellent. Ben Davies also looked good and really should have scored. Pelle was MOM although I am not convinced.

No need to panic at the moment but we must cut out individual errors if we are to get anything out of the season.

bluedevil said:

OH HERE WE GO ALREADY!!! I HONESTLY CANT BELEIVE PEOPLE ON HERE !!!! 1 ROAD GAME SACK THE COACH, 1ST GAME OF THE SEASON ,NEW PLAYERS PLEASE,

<edited for swearing>

I don't know bluedevil or anything but to be fair, everyone does seem to be ignoring the end of the sentence if things don't improve quickily

he's not saying sack everyone now, and as I said in a previouos post, if in a couple of months players are not performing to their potential then I agree we should make changes. It is early to make any comment regarding changes, but no ones actually said do it now after one league game.

anyway - onwards and upwards... well... we're officially bottom so we can't go downwards :? - that's a joke by the way. can't wait for tomorrow and lets hope it'll be positivity all round on here tomorrow :D

kettdevil1

Finny said:
Any news on whether Tylor went off injured or not?
He returned for one more shift but didn't ice after that one shift. To be honest the match was lost by then so I suspect it was precautionary.

If we have the same results/performances for a couple of months before making changes we might as well not bother.

We were told this was a team capable of winning the league, I'm not calling for changes now, but alot quicker than a few months if things don't improve.

And as for being what FloridaDevil said (not wanting a ban!), I couldn't care what you think. G has won nothing as a coach with teams he's signed himself. We looked worse tonight than we did against the Blaze at home

A

Anonymous

bluedevil said:
If we have the same results/performances for a couple of months before making changes we might as well not bother.

We were told this was a team capable of winning the league, I'm not calling for changes now, but alot quicker than a few months if things don't improve.

And as for being what FloridaDevil said (not wanting a ban!), I couldn't care what you think. G has won nothing as a coach with teams he's signed himself. We looked worse tonight than we did against the Blaze at home
In fairness, imo anyway, on Wednesday we looked like a team that could win the league, as posters who were at the game have said, individual errors cost us. How can you blame G for individual mistakes. We are all gutted at the result, lets all stay positive and see what tomorrow brings. We are only 2 points off the top :!:

if G won us the playoffs last season and the challenge cup would bluedevil be saying the same thing now? its 1 game into the season for gods sake lets give the guys and systems thats new to the majority of the players time work.belfast (league favs) also lost tonight are there fans calling for action already or soon i think not.one seriously ****** off DEVILS FAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bet your not ****** off (whatever that means) as the fans who spent all of their Saturday and alot of money to watch a group of players who looked like they'd never met each other.

How many games do you think we should lose before we make changes?