Shirt off his back

Scooterboy - well done. You rode your luck and it came off

Have to say though if it had been one individual who then went on to profit I would have felt a bit different

I am though interested in your approach. I have always understood that with random raffle draws it is better to spread your numbers rather than purchase in a block. Was your aproach a rationale, statistically based, decision or gut feel?
thought the chances of getting one from a consecutive run of 200 was best

Finny

Perhaps it's me, but I'm far more disgusted at some of the comments on here than I am at the way the draw was done.

It's pretty obvious that someone (apparently Bordy) was asked to pick the winning tickets out. He can't have been in the best of moods having been dropped and I doubt he had the patience to pick out 23 number individually. He's put his hand in a couple of times, grabbed a handful of tickets each time and handed them over.

Once they are drawn, that is it. It doesn't matter if they are consecutive or not, the draw has been made. You can't then put tickets back in because they are consecutive. THAT would be fixing the draw. And even then you can't be 100% certain that consecutive numbers are all the same people. As they are sold in groups of three the odds of all three being one person are actually around 50%. So which ones do you put back in? Do you risk another fan losing out on their winning ticket because they happened to buy the next one?

Regardless of all that, for people to then attack the winner(s) is disgusting. Some of the comments on here personally attacking another fan are arguably the worst I've ever seen on this forum. We must have some very noble people on here who would win multiple shirts and then give them back. Really?
We've had people before win SOHB several times a season. Should they have handed their jerseys back? Are we going to stop people bidding on more than one shirt at the auctions in future?

And I'm really not sure what people expect Todd/the club to do as an apology. Give everyone a free shirt?
All they can do is say that they will be changing the way the draw is made in future. I've seen it suggested that the players each pull out their own number after the game. Which is a good idea but not if we have lost and the players are on the ice for ages after a defeat. And even if we've won I'm sure some people would complain about how long it took.
"Why didn't we get one person to draw it during the third period?"

Perhaps it's me, but I'm far more disgusted at some of the comments on here than I am at the way the draw was done.

It's pretty obvious that someone (apparently Bordy) was asked to pick the winning tickets out. He can't have been in the best of moods having been dropped and I doubt he had the patience to pick out 23 number individually. He's put his hand in a couple of times, grabbed a handful of tickets each time and handed them over.

Once they are drawn, that is it. It doesn't matter if they are consecutive or not, the draw has been made. You can't then put tickets back in because they are consecutive. THAT would be fixing the draw. And even then you can't be 100% certain that consecutive numbers are all the same people. As they are sold in groups of three the odds of all three being one person are actually around 50%. So which ones do you put back in? Do you risk another fan losing out on their winning ticket because they happened to buy the next one?

Regardless of all that, for people to then attack the winner(s) is disgusting. Some of the comments on here personally attacking another fan are arguably the worst I've ever seen on this forum. We must have some very noble people on here who would win multiple shirts and then give them back. Really?
We've had people before win SOHB several times a season. Should they have handed their jerseys back? Are we going to stop people bidding on more than one shirt at the auctions in future?

And I'm really not sure what people expect Todd/the club to do as an apology. Give everyone a free shirt?
All they can do is say that they will be changing the way the draw is made in future. I've seen it suggested that the players each pull out their own number after the game. Which is a good idea but not if we have lost and the players are on the ice for ages after a defeat. And even if we've won I'm sure some people would complain about how long it took.
Am thinking more , the staff were given little if any time to split the ticket stubs individually so just threw the stubs in blocks of 5-6 but common sense would say if picked out a stub with a few numbers on just take one out and go again

Finny

Splitting the tickets is usually unimportant, as there is usually only prize. So it doesn't matter if you pull out a bunch of tickets stuck together - only one is going to count.
The problem arises when there are multiple prizes being drawn and the person drawing them doesn't realise the tickets haven't been mixed up easily. And as pointed out above, it would take hours to split them and mix them up properly.

If this is ever done again you can sure that the club will be making sure each ticket is pulled out one by one and by a different person each time.

Splitting the tickets is usually unimportant, as there is usually only prize. So it doesn't matter if you pull out a bunch of tickets stuck together - only one is going to count.
The problem arises when there are multiple prizes being drawn and the person drawing them doesn't realise the tickets haven't been mixed up easily. And as pointed out above, it would take hours to split them and mix them up properly.

If this is ever done again you can sure that the club will be making sure each ticket is pulled out one by one and by a different person each time.
im sure this is what happened and the club will ensure it does not happen again

Chris

Administrator
I've deleted some of the comments made by posters earlier in the thread.

I'm working nights this weekend so if there any more on this thread I'd appreciate if people could use the report feature to bring them to my attention so I can have a look at about 8pm tonight.

One thing i did see on the facebook banter page, was the group who got the 4 tickets in a row, gave one of them away to a child who sits near them. Which i thought was pretty awesome
Amazing, I would hope most would do the same. Says a lot about the guy who won 5 and started selling them as soon as got home

Devil_Abroad

Why would I give money directly to the Devils. I like the idea of monetary reward for my contribution towards these initiatives. Hence why you probably did it yourself.

The way I see it is if you bet money at the start of the season for a club to win the league you're not going to complain at the end of the season if that team doesn't win. It's like complaining at the bookies. People need to get over this and move on like you suggested.

I hope the guy selling them makes some decent profit, after all gambling isn't a fair game
I think our outlook on things differ, vastly.

I didn't buy any SOHB tickets as if I want a shirt I'll buy one; if I want to view it as a great way to support the club and future talent then I'll give; if I want to gamble which I don; then I will go and lose my money to professional organisations - as the saying goes for a very good 'gambling's a mug's game' (who sets the odds?.....)

My friend who has little money wanted a chance to get a player's shirt and saw this as a great opportunity - 1 on 23 chance. So she wouldn't normally do it as there's little chance. She thought 1 in 23 was worth a go. It wasn't. It wasn't her fault. She now feels cheated.

But then our outlook on life is different so I won't presume you'll understand.

Hopefully Todd will see the difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have Hope#35

One thing i did see on the facebook banter page, was the group who got the 4 tickets in a row, gave one of them away to a child who sits near them. Which i thought was pretty awesome
My Son was the lucky child - The person in question who won 4 actually had the two ticket run at the end, the girl he was with had two tickets in one of the runs of four I believe so he didn't win on a complete run. The girl gave one to the boys mate and the boy handed one to my 3yr old as he walked by us!
To say I was gobsmacked is an understatement, you may think he knows us well and was just being a mate but he's not (yet)... he and his friends sit a couple of rows in front of us, it's their first season and we've been on a couple of red army trips together where we know each other enough to say hi! Just found out they're hoping to buy a Season Ticket in our row next season which means I'll have the honour of getting to know them more next season.
He should be so proud of himself, he could've just sold it for a few quid. His Mum was there and when she saw that he'd given it to my little boy her smile was beaming... her pride shone through! We randomly drew a Jersey in the Bar but I gladly swapped as it was one which he preferred to the one he had, I was just glad to receive the jersey!
I will be eternally grateful of his gesture and hope to repay him one day in some way, in his words after my message of thanks: "It's not a problem that's what hockey is all about!"
A fantastic win, unfortunately overshadowed!

Last edited:

davew

The one thing that has to happen now is that we need to invest in ( or ask someone to make) a large tombola drum. The rotating motion will mix up the tickets far more effectively and should separate (as long as not stapled etc) groups of tickets.

The green jerseys now need to become our home jersey for next season.

edited for spelling

E.D.S.

It's a sad day. I actually whole heartedly agree with Finny. Please don't let it happen again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk