Shirt off his back

There won't be a refund and there shouldn't be, I understand why people have taken issue with the run of numbers that were pulled out but no one has been cheated! Those were the first 23 numbers that were pulled out, maybe the technique was wrong or the fact that the draw wasn't done in plain sight to prove that they were but even with the run of four there were two completely different winners of two jerseys. Wouldn't it have been more dishonest to chuck some back in because the numbers were too close together?
To get that run of numbers the stubs must of still been glued together, one hell of a task for the guys to separate them all individually. Common sense should of comin to it

Devil_Abroad

I notice you've also put that your friend left the game with a really bad taste in the mouth. When you put she thought it was a 1 in 23 chance - you know that's wrong don't you? It was a 23 in thousands chance. You can't even say you're 23 times more likely to win than normal because some people would have bought more tickets. Or more people bought tickets.
If it's normal to have 2,000 tickets sold for 1 shirt but last night 8,000 tickets sold for 23 shirts then you would hope there's a better chance of winning one? (Hypothetical numbers assuming 4 times the number of tickets bought last night as some were buying books of them) If you want to go into the statistics of winning then it is diminished when the first winning ticket is 5 of them because now there's only 18 shirts left for the next ticket picked. There's probably a mathematician on this forum that can explain the probability issue with the draw that took place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Devil_Abroad

There won't be a refund and there shouldn't be, I understand why people have taken issue with the run of numbers that were pulled out but no one has been cheated! Those were the first 23 numbers that were pulled out, maybe the technique was wrong or the fact that the draw wasn't done in plain sight to prove that they were but even with the run of four there were two completely different winners of two jerseys. Wouldn't it have been more dishonest to chuck some back in because the numbers were too close together?
So you don't believe there's something wrong with pulling out 5 tickets in one go that belongs to the same purchaser? Might be interesting to understand the law around lotteries? 'The tickets are randomly drawn' - now were they on this occasion? That would be an interesting discussion would it not?

After all I believe the organisation has to be licensed and adhere to the Gambling Act 2005?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Finny

I think this has been discussed before but the SOHB doesn't count as a lottery as there is no cash prize. That's why you can buy in bulk for less but for 50/50 it's the same price per ticket regardless of how many you buy.

From a mathematical viewpoint the odds of you winning are not affected by how the tickets are drawn. Your probability of winning is simply 'Number of tickets you bought' / 'total tickets sold'.

If five tickets are pulled out at the same time, you still statistically have the same odds as winning as you would if they were pulled out one by one.

MESSAGE FROM DEVILS ORG (Todd Kelman)

Just thought I would explain what happened with the SOHB raffle. I usually always draw the winning 50/50 and SOHB tickets so if anyone ever questions it, I know it was me. Because we sold so many tickets and we were pressed for time, I asked one of the production team to get Patrick Bordeleau to pull the tickets, which Bordy did. I am not blaming a player that probably was more interested in the game than looking at the numbers, but I am explaining the process. So Bordy drew the tickets, handed them to our production team, who then created the graphics for the screen. I didn't look at the list until it was up on screen, but I should have , and I should have then flagged up the sequential winning numbers. For someone (me) who is a control freak, I should have caught this, but I didn't.

So this was not a fix. A fix would be calling out winning numbers of people I wanted to win the jerseys for whatever reason. A fix is calculated, this was just a screw up on my part. I never looked them over until I was reading them off the big screen. If I had, I would have flagged it up. I don't blame anyone (Bordy, production team) in the process, I blame myself for not double checking before they went on screen. So I put my hands up and take 100% of the blame because ultimately, it is my responsibility for overseeing game night and we always try to ensure a fair draw, but I screwed up this time. Not one of the sellers had anything to do with this or any of the office staff, so don't blame them. I will take the heat for this, and I can assure you that next time, we will draw them out in public view and will ensure this error never ever happens again. We don't want fans to be soured on buying tickets for our draws or boycott the raffles that bring in valuable money for the club. Chalk this up to human error, not calculated, not pre-planned, literally I just screwed up and I can only apologise for the screw up. I am genuinely sorry, and even more sorry it took away from the atmosphere and the emotion of a great home win.

Todd Kelman
Ex-SOHB Raffle Executive

terry hunt

Just thought I would explain what happened with the SOHB raffle. I usually always draw the winning 50/50 and SOHB tickets so if anyone ever questions it, I know it was me. Because we sold so many tickets and we were pressed for time, I asked one of the production team to get Patrick Bordeleau to pull the tickets, which Bordy did. I am not blaming a player that probably was more interested in the game than looking at the numbers, but I am explaining the process. So Bordy drew the tickets, handed them to our production team, who then created the graphics for the screen. I didn't look at the list until it was up on screen, but I should have , and I should have then flagged up the sequential winning numbers. For someone (me) who is a control freak, I should have caught this, but I didn't.

So this was not a fix. A fix would be calling out winning numbers of people I wanted to win the jerseys for whatever reason. A fix is calculated, this was just a screw up on my part. I never looked them over until I was reading them off the big screen. If I had, I would have flagged it up. I don't blame anyone (Bordy, production team) in the process, I blame myself for not double checking before they went on screen. So I put my hands up and take 100% of the blame because ultimately, it is my responsibility for overseeing game night and we always try to ensure a fair draw, but I screwed up this time. Not one of the sellers had anything to do with this or any of the office staff, so don't blame them. I will take the heat for this, and I can assure you that next time, we will draw them out in public view and will ensure this error never ever happens again. We don't want fans to be soured on buying tickets for our draws or boycott the raffles that bring in valuable money for the club. Chalk this up to human error, not calculated, not pre-planned, literally I just screwed up and I can only apologise for the screw up. I am genuinely sorry, and even more sorry it took away from the atmosphere and the emotion of a great home win.

Todd Kelman
Ex-SOHB Raffle Executive
Perhaps you should use the services of one of our sponsors Specsavers

Leighton

takes a big man to say he's sorry and admit a mistake....

I'm well and truly over my tantrum and will I be buying SOHBs in future? of course I will... i genuinely wish the winners all the best with their jerseys whatever they may choose to do with them.

Experience is a great teacher, but the lessons are sometimes expensive...

The one thing about this club and its management is that it is always up front, honest and tries to treat people with the respect they deserve.

Thanks for letting everyone know, Todd. People know that mistakes are made and it takes a lot to stand up and take the blame.

Now, lets put this behind us and get behind the boys ahead of a big weekend of hockey!

Foxy

Thread starter #135
Apology accepted we all screw up at times.. We'll put you on probation to see whether you can become SOHB Raffle Executive again :D

E.D.S.

Todd Kelman
Ex-SOHB Raffle Executive
He's annoyingly good isn't he. Professional, responsible and trying to do (and delivering) great things for this organisation. He said he screwed up. He's showing great leadership and really setting the tone for how the Devils should be run. Top man.

Mooney#16

Maybe some sort of public punishment would go along way to bringing back faith.

The good old taking one for the team springs to mind. The Zorb football players all get a shot at his back side should do it.

BostonBart22

Todd Kelman
Ex-SOHB Raffle Executive
Give todd an OSCAR !!!!