Sawyer leaves Devils???

Gaz G said:
Just had a look around and found Phil Oreskovic as a free agent. From what i've read I think he'd be a good replacement.

Pretty hard and has some solid reviews as a stay at home d man who clears the net.
I am pretty sure in the back of my mind he is somehow related to Mike Ware

Gaz G

strange thing to have in the back of your mind but if correct would be an awesome signing. played in the show recently and would be outstanding at our standard. Time for Paul Ragan to put his hand in his pocket???

DevilDom

I really hope its not a case of finances being the reason for Justin going, but I guess rumours are bound to arise. I just hope the management can dispell these quickly by bringing in a good quality replacement quickly. Come on G - prove all us doubters wrong! :twisted:

rocketbob

DevilDom said:
I really hope its not a case of finances being the reason for Justin going, but I guess rumours are bound to arise. I just hope the management can dispell these quickly by bringing in a good quality replacement quickly. Come on G - prove all us doubters wrong! :twisted:
I have re-read Shannon Hope's quote "We are sorry to lose Justin – a great guy who was really personable and was doing a job for us. This is no reflection on his on-ice performance." lots of times and have yet to figure out a way that this doesn't mean that Justin was let go for one reason or another.

rocketbob said:
DevilDom said:
I have re-read Shannon Hope's quote "We are sorry to lose Justin – a great guy who was really personable and was doing a job for us. This is no reflection on his on-ice performance." lots of times and have yet to figure out a way that this doesn't mean that Justin was let go for one reason or another.

I agree, to me this reads that he was gassed due to either being bad in the dressing room, costly on the pay role or having off ice issues (Normally over partying/drinking/womanising, you know, the usual hockey player traits)

Praised Sawyer in previous weeks as the best Dman this year. We could be in for a tough time in the next fortnight. The schedule is ridiculous. Playing Wednesday night in Cardiff, travelling to Dundee on a coach overnight and then playing on Thursday night before returning Friday to play on Saturday and then travelling all day again to play Hull on Sunday. That should not be allowed. It’s a totally ridiculous expectation for professional hockey players to be able to maintain performance at that rate.
Will be interested to eventually know the real “personal” reasons for Sawyers departure. I wish him all the best.

wildthing74

I did a bit of digging around from people who would probably know the reasons.I would never put anybody in the awkward position to directly ask why but I do get the impression his departure is permenant and not a short term issue back home.
I was hoping that it would just be a temporary issue and he would maybe be back at some point but I dont think we'll see him in a Devils shirt again.
I'm not one for gossip and have no interest speculating the reason but really gutted his stay was so short.

A

Anonymous

So it seems sawyer has upset the team or devils organisation in some kind of way?
Wildthing how can you be sure sawyer wont be back?
I spoke to a player last week and he said the squad and camaraderie was one of the best hes been in!

wildthing74

Brian Ball said:
So it seems sawyer has upset the team or devils organisation in some kind of way?
Wildthing how can you be sure sawyer wont be back?
I spoke to a player last week and he said the squad and camaraderie was one of the best hes been in!
As I said I did not go looking to find out why he has left as thats between any of the parties involved and if the club/player want it known then it would come out through the correct means.
From what I have been told off more than 1 person,he has gone permenant.As he was my daughter's favourite player I was just looking to see if there was a chance that he may be back but that does not seem to be likely.

D21 said:
I agree, to me this reads that he was gassed due to either being bad in the dressing room, costly on the pay role or having off ice issues (Normally over partying/drinking/womanising, you know, the usual hockey player traits)
Have to say that I would be very surprised if he had been gassed. The club would have to give him 2 weeks notice so in my eyes there is no great rush to leave Cardiff (he flew out Wednesday)
Also they would be responsible for payment of his flight home, which reportedly he paid for himself?
I agree the statement by Shannon does create more questions than answers but in fairness that could be just badly worded.

ASHIPP

rocketbob said:
Not neccessarily. If Justin paid for his own fair back to Canada, it suggests to me that he went of his own accord. If he had been 'released', the club would not be saying how sorry they were to lose him. :( Whatever his 'personal reasons' were, let's hope things work out for Justin.......and that that affirmative action is taken as quickly as possible on the replacement(s?). :x

osh

ASHIPP said:
rocketbob said:
Not neccessarily. If Justin paid for his own fair back to Canada, it suggests to me that he went of his own accord. If he had been 'released', the club would not be saying how sorry they were to lose him. :( Whatever his 'personal reasons' were, let's hope things work out for Justin.......and that that affirmative action is taken as quickly as possible on the replacement(s?). :x
Can't quite agree with you on this one ASHIPP. There have been many players released in the past and the usual comment is ' we are sorry to lose him, things didn't quite work out' etc. In time we will learn of the reasons he has left, it can't be a money matter I wouldn't have thought, he would have known what his contract stated prior to coming here, unless of course he felt that with no extra D coming in, he asked for more money as he was having to do more than is normally expected of a D, or he simply had a better offer/or didn't like the place or set up. Who knows, we may even learn a la Romfo style should he decide to come on the forum and post his reasons! For whatever reason, it has left us in a real hole and I have no doubt that the club are working hard to bring in someone soon, lets hope there is a EU qualified player out there who may fit the bill. Lets see if we can act as quick as other clubs have done and bring someone in. I wonder will G give Symonds more than 2 or 3 shifts in upcominmg games, that situation is almost farcical.

ASHIPP

osh said:
ASHIPP said:
Can't quite agree with you on this one ASHIPP. There have been many players released in the past and the usual comment is ' we are sorry to lose him, things didn't quite work out' etc. In time we will learn of the reasons he has left, it can't be a money matter I wouldn't have thought, he would have known what his contract stated prior to coming here, unless of course he felt that with no extra D coming in, he asked for more money as he was having to do more than is normally expected of a D, or he simply had a better offer/or didn't like the place or set up. Who knows, we may even learn a la Romfo style should he decide to come on the forum and post his reasons! For whatever reason, it has left us in a real hole and I have no doubt that the club are working hard to bring in someone soon, lets hope there is a EU qualified player out there who may fit the bill. Lets see if we can act as quick as other clubs have done and bring someone in. I wonder will G give Symonds more than 2 or 3 shifts in upcominmg games, that situation is almost farcical.
It's the bit about paying his own fair that seems to suggest he made the decision himself rather than the Club - as you say, Osh, whether it comes out 'in the wash' we will have to wait and see. :?
As for Symonds, now is a good time for him to show what he is made of - running with only the remaining 4 dmen is a 'banana skin' situation in 6 games/9 days. :eek:
Wonder if any of the forwards will temporarily play a more defensive role? Aren't Tylor and Stuart 2 way forwards? :?

osh

Fair comment ASHIPP, lots of possible reasons I'm sure. He may very well have paid for his own fare due to the fact that he wanted away immediately and his contract dictated he would have to wait 2 weeks ( notice period) plus play about 7 or 8 games during that time. If he has had a better offer from across the pond, his new team will not want him to play 7 or 8 games before joining them ( chance of injury etc) and if it is because he has a new team, they will probably have covered the expense of him paying his own fare. No doubt we will hear the exact reason soon one way or another. One thing that worries me, this is huge news that badly affects the club, yet the silence is deafening regarding him leaving don't you think?

"One thing that worries me, this is huge news that badly affects the club, yet the silence is deafening regarding him leaving don't you think?"

http://cardiffdevils.com/Newsheadline.aspx?cpid=920
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sports/ice ... -27514954/

It's hardly been silence over it :?:

A player has decided, for whatever personal reason, to leave the club & fly home.
The club issued a PR about it, and are now looking for a replacement.

Of course there'll be wild rumour & speculation on forums, and at the rink on Sunday but do you expect the club to get involved in that?
I'd rather they keep looking for a physical D that can play and provide some intimidation in our barn.

If it's personal for Sawyer, then I guess he may not want it splashed everywhere for people to pick over.

Now bring on the Steelers :twisted:

DevilDom

osh said:
Fair comment ASHIPP, lots of possible reasons I'm sure. He may very well have paid for his own fare due to the fact that he wanted away immediately and his contract dictated he would have to wait 2 weeks ( notice period) plus play about 7 or 8 games during that time. If he has had a better offer from across the pond, his new team will not want him to play 7 or 8 games before joining them ( chance of injury etc) and if it is because he has a new team, they will probably have covered the expense of him paying his own fare. No doubt we will hear the exact reason soon one way or another. One thing that worries me, this is huge news that badly affects the club, yet the silence is deafening regarding him leaving don't you think?
Who are we to expect to be told what is going on with players and the club. After all we're just the fans that pay the wages! :lol:

rocketbob

BrokenAngel said:
I've got my flameproof knickers on, but this is a genuine question:

What is it that you want to know about Sawyer leaving?
I guess the only thing I want to be sure of is whether he jumped or if he was pushed. Beyond that it is between Justin and the club.

DevilDom

BrokenAngel said:
I've got my flameproof knickers on, but this is a genuine question:

What is it that you want to know about Sawyer leaving?
What colour are they?

Anyway....... I'd like to know what has caused this to happen so suddenly, leaving the team up the creek without a paddle and potentially irrecoverably damaging the season for us.

"Personal Reasons" can mean almost anything and is open to interpretation. Many people have already come to their own conclusions but it would be nice to know the truth or as near as damm it.

They're blue :D

OK I understand why people might want to know what's happened. That's what sells the tabloids & celeb mags!

My point is that what are the club supposed to say about it?

If someone in my office suddenly left for personal reasons, leaving a hole for everyone else to sort out, I wouldn't expect the company to announce the reasons for them going.