Sawyer leaves Devils???

Rempel16

Thread starter #1
According to DWD on the Giants forum, Sawyer has left for reasons to be announced in today's press. Not pretty apparently.

Anyone heard anything about this?

James

Administrator
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sports/ice ... -27514954/
CARDIFF Devils have launched a worldwide search for a new tough ice hockey defenceman after Justin Sawyer returned home to North America.

The loss of 6ft 5ins Sawyer is a major blow for Elite League Devils and player-coach Gerad Adams said: “Justin was a good fit for our team and it is a blow to lose a player of that calibre.

“But he has returned to North America for personal reasons and we have to accept that.

Thats mental, after watching him on the weekend!!

Wonder what thats all about, when you think wil be the fastest we can get a replacement?

Gaz G

This is not good news at all. Not only have we lost a tough guy but arguably our best dman. Lets just pray that for once we can get a good replacement quickly and not in a months time when we've blown our chances in all competitions!!! As for Mciver. Please god.....no

wildthing74

Gutted.I sponsored his shirt for my little girl and they ended up giving that as shirt off his back Sunday even though announced it would be Max's.
As they ended up having to swap from the black ones this would not have been a shirt made up just for the one game for SOHB so I hope the club don't try and fob me off with a replica.

DevilDom

This is really bad news and couldn't have come at a worse time for the team.

Sawyer has without doubt been our best D man and was also prepared to stand up to anyone for the team. I know its an outside hope but I wonder if there is any chance of him coming back? I guess it depends on the real reasons for him going.

Given our record on recruiting replacements we'll be lucky to have someone else in by Christmas! :evil:

i don't think they gave your jersey away, as a gameworn nerd i notice many things.. Ask floridadevil, sawyers regular jersey is absent a dcf patch, on saturday it had a patch on it. Devils order the sohb jerseys along with the set 1s due to them being made in pakistan so need them asap
wildthing74 said:
Gutted.I sponsored his shirt for my little girl and they ended up giving that as shirt off his back Sunday even though announced it would be Max's.
As they ended up having to swap from the black ones this would not have been a shirt made up just for the one game for SOHB so I hope the club don't try and fob me off with a replica.

seems a bit weird that we just get into the heart of the season and then he decides to leave for personal reasons. I am sure he has good reason to leave just hope it doesnt damage the Cardiff Devils name in any of it.

Koop11

This is a massive blow for the team. Arguable one of our better defensemen is gone in what has proved so far to be a pretty poor defensive unit. Also, with Voth injured, we lack that toughness that can see us bully teams a little when we need to. Even if Voth comes back, we cannot expect him to scrap for a good couple of weeks.

No time is a good time for this to happen but we’re about to play 6 games in 9 days. It takes over a month to get paper work sorted for an import player to get over here.

Fans have suggested we need another defenseman to strengthen our squad but clearly the finances have not been in place to do so. We now arguably need two defensemen. I’d suggest the club need to bite the bullet and invest now otherwise we could fall out of all competitions (apart from playoffs) in no time at all.

As a side note, I’m not sure why McIver is seen in such low regard. Not the greatest defenseman but certainly not the worst we’ve had and let’s face it, we’re hardly blessed with a superb defensive unit this season. If he wasn’t injured, I’d certainly consider him at least in the short term to fill a big hole.

Sad news indeed, he was a key player for the Devil's defence. No idea what has happened, but I hope everything is all right for him in North America. Wonder who Adams can get now though :( it's going to be tough..