Rumours Thread

Wasn't sure where to put this but on facebook giants have updates saying our latest signing someone new to the league....will be announced next week!! Possibly Awada retired? Gone to another club or possibly someone has backed out as they haven't said it's our last signing and awada still to be announced!

ASHIPP

cookie_girl said:
Wasn't sure where to put this but on facebook giants have updates saying our latest signing someone new to the league....will be announced next week!! Possibly Awada retired? Gone to another club or possibly someone has backed out as they haven't said it's our last signing and awada still to be announced!
What's the latest rumour on McMorrow? Could this a replacement for him, do you think? :? Thought is was almost taken as given that Awada will be back as Giants' Captain..... :cool:

Haven't heard anything more about that rumour! Think most people are wanting that to be true! I don't know haven't even given the guy a chance and already he's wanted rid of! Apparantly Thorton thinks this new player is going to be one of the best players in the league this season so will be interesting to see who it is!! There's been rumours for ages Awada was signed ages ago but was being kept quiet to be announced as last signing! Shall see if it's true or not! I hope it is I want Awada back for us!

ASHIPP

cookie_girl said:
Haven't heard anything more about that rumour! Think most people are wanting that to be true! I don't know haven't even given the guy a chance and already he's wanted rid of! Apparantly Thorton thinks this new player is going to be one of the best players in the league this season so will be interesting to see who it is!! There's been rumours for ages Awada was signed ages ago but was being kept quiet to be announced as last signing! Shall see if it's true or not! I hope it is I want Awada back for us!
George Awada is a solid reliable forward and a great captain - part of the furniture at the Giants! As for McMorrow, think a lot of folk are a bit confused by this signing as his stats don't indicate he could rack up the points for the Giants. Undoubtedly a tough guy and will put bums on seats at the Odyssey because he'll be a character, but with the changes in the style of play throughout the teams this year, there's a big question over whether the out-and-out enforcer role is needed. If he's being paid a lot to come to the UK, Thornton must think it's justified.

If there's an additional player joining Belfast, that will be very interesting, especially if new!

That's what we need an enforcer! I suppose since Paxton left no one has filled his shoes really......suppose that's hard to do though! He was one of a kind! I can see people's reasons but if he does stay can give him a chance and see what he's like!

ASHIPP

cookie_girl said:
That's what we need an enforcer! I suppose since Paxton left no one has filled his shoes really......suppose that's hard to do though! He was one of a kind! I can see people's reasons but if he does stay can give him a chance and see what he's like!
But will anybody really want to fight? It's generally thought that teams want to be much more competitive this year and the rosters would suggest 'team toughness'. Teams will be concentrating on getting points and trying to minimse time spent in the box, which, of course, can lose matches. This is why McMorrow seems such a weird signing - it's a style out of character for the Giants of recent seasons. :? OK - there is sticking up for your team mates if something kicks off on ice but some of last year's tussles were staged (e.g. fisties at face-off). Anyway, the 'Andrew Sharp method' (i.e. employ someone purely to fight) wasn't exactly an overwhelming success for the Steelers last year - Sheffield already had team toughness in players like Munn and Cruickshank..... Sharp was eventually banned anyway!

With players only having to give 2 weeks notice it could be any of our import signings, got a better offer, a job outside of hockey i guess we will just have to wait and see.

See what you mean it is a weird signing! Maybe it is because of the league being so close! I haven't seen many giants games in the past few years being away from home for uni but when i have gone i've always thought we've been missing someone to sort of stand up, most times if someone checks one of our guys badly no one really does anything.... I mean seeing Mo and players like him having to stand up to people when we have players who really are supposed to do that ( like devils have with Voth) is a bit strange to me....of course they can't be on the ice all the time i suppose! I don't think after Sharp any team would want a player like that! What a waste of space!! I guess we shall see what happens!! Maybe it'll all make sense :lol:

Chris said:
On a different note, heave heard from several people now that Vipers have already decided to drop to ENL next season...

Chris.
Vipers have been playing at the ENL level for a good few seasons already?

There are the EIHL Vipers and the ENL Vipers

Chris said:
And the Isle of Wight already had 1 ENL team, didn't stop the Raiders dropping to the ENL and the rink then supporting 2 ENL teams...

Chris.
Er yeah, but Vectis and IOW Raiders are two seperate organisations playing out of one rink.

What you're suggesting is that the EIHL team are going to drop and have 2 ENL teams?

In fact have 3 out of one rink, 2 from the same organisation.

The Vipers can do away with their EIHL team (which is not on the cards at all), they can't "drop down" to something thats already there?