Rumours Thread

Sorry if this is veering off topic a bit, but, while I am not sure what I think of the return of Lyle rumour, I would agree with Dwoods remark "Give me a top line Brit forward any day". However, a combination of facts and rumours would suggest we are not going to get Phillips, Tait, Matt Myers etc this year, so options would seem to be limited and Stevie and an extra import forward could be the option we take.

Ocko

Dwoods said:
Rempel16 said:
The Lyle rumour seems to be gathering momentum, it is now on the Panthers Cage.
I sincerely hope not - as already been posted, you will never win a championship with Lyle in net, he is what I consider to be the complete opposite of Aubry...Aubry was a class guy on and off the ice, and consistency is a great part of his game - I cannot put any of those attributes to Stevie unfortunately...give me a top point scoring brit over a brit netminder any day.
This is in no way saying I prefer Lyle to Aubry or any keeper but the past 3 championships we won (2 leagues and play off title) were with Lyle in net and apart from the final season of the BHL the other two were of a considerabley higher standard than what the EIHL is now. Not to mention the league title he won in the season he had with French side Morzine-Avoriaz.

Whether he is the right fit for this team I dont know, never met the guy, but he is definitely a keeper that can win you a Championship.

Ocko said:
This is in no way saying I prefer Lyle to Aubry or any keeper but the past 3 championships we won (2 leagues and play off title) were with Lyle in net
The last time we won the play-offs Derek Herlofsky was in net, Stevie Lyle was our back up. Herlofsky was a class apart from Lyle.

Herlofsky was in nets for the final yes, but look at the stats for the Lyle/Herlofsky years and they are pretty comparable in games played and stats I suspect. That said, its a while ago and our Defence was useful.

Think I am looking forward to a confirmed signing or 2 now, so we can change the subject.

To me a top quality import netminder is the way forward and should be a priority when selecting a team for next season, just my opinion though. Look how many times last season Aubs saved our bacon, need i say more?

James

Administrator
Dunno if anyone else was at the hockey 101 evening. G was saying how he didn't rate Lyle at all as a goalie. Ok so that was a year or so ago and opinions change but it didn't strike me that he'd be on the top of the signing list then.

Ocko

Merthyr Devil said:
Ocko said:
This is in no way saying I prefer Lyle to Aubry or any keeper but the past 3 championships we won (2 leagues and play off title) were with Lyle in net
The last time we won the play-offs Derek Herlofsky was in net, Stevie Lyle was our back up. Herlofsky was a class apart from Lyle.
He might have played in the final but that season they played virtually the same amount of games. Herlofsky was no way a class apart, if he was wouldnt he have played a clear amount of games more? While they were both here it was split 50/50. To get us into the final the year we won the play offs Lyle was in nets against Storm for the semi where he played out of his skin.

Gazza272

Ocko said:
Merthyr Devil said:
Ocko said:
He might have played in the final but that season they played virtually the same amount of games. Herlofsky was no way a class apart, if he was wouldnt he have played a clear amount of games more? While they were both here it was split 50/50. To get us into the final the year we won the play offs Lyle was in nets against Storm for the semi where he played out of his skin.

Herlofsky was in net the entire weekend in 99 he was 12 seconds away from a weekend long shut out

Gazza272 said:
Ocko said:

Herlofsky was in net the entire weekend in 99 he was 12 seconds away from a weekend long shut out
Yep, I still can't forgive Mark Kolesar for breaking his weekend shut out :D . Herlofsky was named player of the weekend too. In fact that year I would have had him over Frank "we put 5 past" Pieterangelo. Yeh their stats may be even for that year but even Andrew Sharp has a goal, so maybe stats do lie :lol:

Maybe the reason they played a similar number of games is because you can't expect to have 2 good goalies and 1 warming the bench, they would have wanted equal ice time, however there was no doubt who played in the more important games that year!

Didn't Lyle get voted best netminder in the league that year by the other teams coaches? I'm sure I got the annual ice hockey annual here somewhere.

matt1986 said:
Didn't Lyle get voted best netminder in the league that year by the other teams coaches? I'm sure I got the annual ice hockey annual here somewhere.
Don't think so as Frank Pietrangelo was the player of the year that year, so I assume the coaches would have had him down as the best. He's was one of the reasons why Manchester Storm won the league. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Player_of_the_Year_Trophy_(IHJUK)

Although Lyle was voted British netminder of the year that year by Ice Hockey journalists UK. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Netminder_of_the_Year

Its a bit off topic but it is about the Lyle rumour. Top netminders win you the league! Rob Dopson was awesome the year Ayr won the grand slam, unfortunately Jody Lehman was one of the reasons why Sheffield won this year, same for Frank Pietrangelo at the Storm. I think we can do better than Lyle, that said if he did come back, and we got in a top class scorer instead then I could live with it. But there's no guarantee we'll score every night, especially if the other netminder is playing awesome. You need a good defense to win titles, as Sheffield this year have shown.

ASHIPP

Merthyr Devil said:
matt1986 said:
Don't think so as Frank Pietrangelo was the player of the year that year, so I assume the coaches would have had him down as the best. He's was one of the reasons why Manchester Storm won the league. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Player_of_the_Year_Trophy_(IHJUK)

Although Lyle was voted British netminder of the year that year by Ice Hockey journalists UK. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Netminder_of_the_Year

Its a bit off topic but it is about the Lyle rumour. Top netminders win you the league! Rob Dopson was awesome the year Ayr won the grand slam, unfortunately Jody Lehman was one of the reasons why Sheffield won this year, same for Frank Pietrangelo at the Storm. I think we can do better than Lyle, that said if he did come back, and we got in a top class scorer instead then I could live with it. But there's no guarantee we'll score every night, especially if the other netminder is playing awesome. You need a good defense to win titles, as Sheffield this year have shown.
It could be argued both ways - you need a good defence AND a good offence to win anything really. Luckily for the Steelers, they had both. :mrgreen: The Giants were a high scoring team last season because all their lines had quality forwards. BUT their defence at times conceded almost as many goals as those scored. With the Devils it was the reverse. More often than not, we played matches with low scoring results, and conceded very few goals. I would rather the re-assurance of a rock solid defence but that alone does not make for exciting ice hockey unfortunately.

ASHIPP said:
It could be argued both ways - you need a good defence AND a good offence to win anything really. Luckily for the Steelers, they had both. :mrgreen: The Giants were a high scoring team last season because all their lines had quality forwards. BUT their defence at times conceded almost as many goals as those scored. With the Devils it was the reverse. More often than not, we played matches with low scoring results, and conceded very few goals. I would rather the re-assurance of a rock solid defence but that alone does not make for exciting ice hockey unfortunately.
Yeh, don't get me wrong I'd much rather see an offensive team than a defensive one. When I play sport my philosophy is that as long as we score more than the opposition we'll be fine, however it doesn't always go to plan :lol:

I could settle for a season of boring hockey though if we were to win the league and play-offs :twisted:

Blaze are meant to have signed Peter Hirsch

Translation from THF for this site http://www.sporten.dk/ishockey/arets-sp ... l-tyskland

'Apart from Mads Christensen and Patrick Galbraith is also the former national team keeper Peter Hirsch abroad.

The next season he played for Coventry in the British league, and thus paved the way for a national comeback for Peter Hirsch after a tumultuous season in which he was the wreck of AaB and later rented out to Timrå and Oskarshamn'

Hes the one they were after mid way through last season but the club wouldn't release him.

Gazza272

a Doug Sheppard to Cardiff Rumour has been brought up on THF no idea how much substance there is to it. But i would be a very very happy Devils fan if that one turned out to be true :D

Rempel16

Yep, Doug Sheppard is a very good player, if not the most exciting to watch. I do like his 'small man syndrome' though, where he plays like a 6'5 power forward when he's forechecking.

So is there any substance to the M.Richardson rumour?