Rumours & Offseason Nonsense 2023/24

So what do people think, Crawford, Mosey, Crandall & Pietroniro to complete the roster.

It's been quiet around Crawford, do you think he will be returning or maybe a surprise D as the final announcement

I'm not sure why we all seem to be convinced Crandall is back. Nothing posted on the usually reliable twitter account and if I'm honest nothing in his play last year to justify a new contract. Would be very disappointed if he's back as I thought his attitude and body language last year was defeatist and I can't imagine would be inline with Russell's ethos.

Finny

I still find it odd that our last couple of announcements could well be Pietroniro and Crandall, even though they probably re-signed ages ago. The last few announcements should be players like Ully, Donaghey. Signings that will get fans excited.
My guess is that:
-all the other signings have been strongly rumoured and taken as signed. So you might as well announce them anyway.
-the owners would have wanted to announce the bigger name signings.

moggy#9

My guess is that:
-all the other signings have been strongly rumoured and taken as signed. So you might as well announce them anyway.
Yeah, but that's certainly been the case with mosey - everyone has been pretty certain he's back for ages.

To be honest it'd be pretty depressing if the last signing was Crandall.

jenks33

My guess is that:
I think you’re probably right. I would always finish with a couple of “we mean business” signings though, even if they’ve been rumoured for months. Looks like Belfast have finished with Quinn Preston and clearly Sheffield have kept a few big names back. Still got my fingers crossed that we might have one more surprise signing.

moggy#9

I think you’re probably right. I would always finish with a couple of “we mean business” signings though, even if they’ve been rumoured for months. Looks like Belfast have finished with Quinn Preston and clearly Sheffield have kept a few big names back. Still got my fingers crossed that we might have one more surprise signing.
I agree. My general feeling at the moment is that we'll be better than last year (though it's not exactly a high bar), and we'll be better organised (thanks to having a coach who has a clue). I'm not convinced that we have team that puts us head and shoulders above the pack chasing Belfast though. A couple of big signings would get everyone buzzing, but that doesn't look like what we'll get.

The big difference between us and Belfast though is that we know they'll keep signing players until they find ones who work for them. What we have come the end of August is likely to be what we have come April - no matter what.

ASHIPP

With the exception of the Cox/Martin/Sanford line, we had no other strong game changing players who could convert opportunities in tight games last year.
Hope we have a few more of those this time.. look back at how many games the Devils lost last season by just one goal.:mad:

jenks33

To be honest i think we've got recruitment pretty much spot on so far. I think we've got rid of the right players and i like the look of all the players we've brought in. Ideally i want Barrow on the third line but i still like the look of Barrow as a new signing. Looking at the potential remaining signings i don't even have a problem with Mosey, Crawford and Pietroniro, i get the thinking behind those three signings. I hate to sound like a broken record but Crandall is the one that concerns me (if he has signed). I just don't get the thinking behind that signing if has indeed re-signed.

Last edited:

lloyd_jeff

I agree. My general feeling at the moment is that we'll be better than last year (though it's not exactly a high bar), and we'll be better organised (thanks to having a coach who has a clue). I'm not convinced that we have team that puts us head and shoulders above the pack chasing Belfast though. A couple of big signings would get everyone buzzing, but that doesn't look like what we'll get.

The big difference between us and Belfast though is that we know they'll keep signing players until they find ones who work for them. What we have come the end of August is likely to be what we have come April - no matter what.
That’s a depressing thought, one im sure won’t happen, just from a business point of view it’s pushing your clients loyalty to a limit. Nobody wants a 3rd season that fans predict the dire result before a puck is dropped.

what i find strange is on the cup that kelly hughes was holding on the summit video was a.ladd.now im not saying we're signing him but it could be andrew ladd.his nhl days seem over but at only 37 he'd still be incredible in this league.

Have Hope#35

what i find strange is on the cup that kelly hughes was holding on the summit video was a.ladd.now im not saying we're signing him but it could be andrew ladd.his nhl days seem over but at only 37 he'd still be incredible in this league.
Do you mean the cup of sand with ALADDIN on it that Shostak is drinking out of? In reference to the Aladdin Cup we Won... I like where your taking it though.

think the next d man we sign will be mosey and finish the d with crawford.pietroniro will be spare d and forward and hopefully a big signing winger for the ully,arneil line will be last.

To be honest i think we've got recruitment pretty much spot on so far. I think we've got rid of the right players and i like the look of all the players we've brought in. Ideally i want Barrow on the third line but i still like the look of Barrow as a new signing. Looking at the potential remaining signings i don't even have a problem with Mosey, Crawford and Pietroniro, i get the thinking behind those three signings. I hate to sound like a broken record but Crandall is the one that concerns me (if he has signed). I just don't get the thinking behind that signing if has indeed re-signed.
My only concern apart from Crandells return the lack of team toughness. Also the fact Ully was injured all last season is a worry, got the impression from his interview that he is underestimating the quality of the league

jenks33

My only concern apart from Crandells return the lack of team toughness. Also the fact Ully was injured all last season is a worry, got the impression from his interview that he is underestimating the quality of the league
I don’t remember thinking that from his interview but maybe I missed something. What did he say to make you think that?