Romfo Released!

nmase20 said:
Dai Vader said:
Maybe he wasn't one of Brads drinking buddies?
thats a ridiculous comment to make....
Slightly off topic but re above, not massively...I personally think the relationship between G and the Vother is too close for that of coach and captain. I think Voth has some sway with G for sure. That said, I'm not saying that Voth had anything to do with gassing Romfo. I was slightly worried when I heard Ryan had been signed that we were starting to return to the days of 'cheque-book hockey'!

Best of luck to you Scott.

How do you know what the relationship between them is? i must say i have absolutely no idea and unless your very close to the team i dont see how you can know?

I thought Adams would step back onto the bench and would then replace any injured players when necessary. This would have given a huge boost to the depth of the squad as Adams can play Offence and Defence and as I understand with the new rules he could stay registered and not play if we had a full squad but play if there was an injury with no need to deregister players.

But I guess if you can't afford it somone has to go.[/quote]

Well that is what Adams said was going to happen but I guess he changed his mind? Shame Romfo has improved...Good luck to you!

nmase20 said:
How do you know what the relationship between them is? i must say i have absolutely no idea and unless your very close to the team i dont see how you can know?
I didn't proclaim to know though, I'm just stating an opinion. It's based on what I've seen of them together over the years at club events, in the bar after games etc. I'm not saying there shouldn't be a relationship there, it would no doubt be integral to the team. All I can say is it's just what I've seen of them.

I'm wary of going off topic here, I just wanted to say what Dai V was saying made a bit of sense to me.

Thanks

I just don't like the way they do things, i't like Finnerty turns up and then its bye bye Romfo. Just leaves a sour taste in my mouth to be honest. Maybe they have been planning this for weeks and what makes it worse Romfo has been playing really well lately aswell.

scottydoesntknow said:
First and foremost... absoloutely GUTTED
Now Im left feeling very dissapointed that we have released our best import D of late who was improving on already solid performances game by game.
Very bad decisisio.
I hate to say this, but I think G's lost it!

Devils' supporters bond very quickly with their players and remain loyal and supportive to them.......no matter what. However...I cannot believe some fans think he was ''solid''....and ....''amazing''.
IMHO....he was neither. Rather like Hinks last year, we've been desperate to find some good things to say about Romfo. And on the few occasions his form has climbed beyond 'fair'.....we've hoped that it would be the start of a good player emerging. However his form has, overall ,been barely mediocre.
Last night, against the Giants, I noted three really good pieces of ice hockey from him. On each occasion, the next time he had possession of the puck he caused a turnover when bringing the puck out of defence. He simply makes too many individual errors....that have cost us goals....and I think would have continued to cost us goals.
That he seemed to be the only one prepared to support Voth when the big man was felled by Campbell, in the Blaze massacre.......does Scott Romfo credit....and I shall remember him for it.
G may have ''lost it'' as a coach (or never had it) but this decision makes sense for a team that has any aspirations of really ''challenging'' for honours.

Really gutted by Romfo being axed as his performances of late have been greatly improved, would of been a better move in my opinion to have G back on the bench, all the best Scott, hope you get a new club soon.

Absolutely disgusted, this is the type of stitch up I would have expected from B.P.
to bring in a forward and gas a D man who has over the past month really come into form beggars belief. Now I fully understand why he didn't get his much deserved MOM last night. Bringing in a forward suggests we have problems at the front and not in defence, I would have preferred to have seen a player who is not fully fit or under-performing to have been released. When we signed Finnerty I do not believe it was ever the intention of G to return to the bench, as I am sure that the £££££'s would have been calculated beforehand and so poor Romfos days were numbered.

Good luck to Scott where ever he may go, I would have gladly paid an extra pound on my ticket to have kept him.

After reading pages of , well , not to sure what to call it i have realised one thing.

Devils fans will never ever be happy/satisfied :evil:

Not choosing any particular post but boy do we have some huge hypocites on here. G is having his best season/G is our worse defencemen/ G should go on the bench (Even though its stated we cant afford it).....Finnerty contacted the club/G contacted Finnerty...Romfo is crap , gas him/worse defenceman/ Romfo is fantastic how dare G get rid of him. We have paid Finnerty too much/shouldnt have bought Finnerty in/Great signing that Finnerty/Well done G. Romfo isnt Brads drinking buddy ,thats why he was gassed/G and Voth are too close. Our team are now stronger/our team are now weaker. For the good of the team/disgusted at G...and so on and so on and so on and so on.

Seriously people chillout !!
We have a new player and a player has been released,thats all, the club hasnt folded,the tent hasnt blown away (Well not yet anyway :lol: )
This happens all the time,no-one knows the REAL reason why these things happen except G/Matt and Shannon. We just have to hope they know what they are doing.

I wish Scott all the best in whatever he does next,hopefully staying in the EIHL.

For me now i would like t finish by wishing all Devls fans and players , current and ex a very MERRY CHRISTMAS and ...bring on the Coventry Blaze !!!!!

Gutted about this.

Jay stareted the season slow and nobody wanted rid of him and he has now turned it on, likewise with Romfo. A solid defence can win a game for any team, and he was looking solid over the past couple of games.

I also agree with the ticket prices. Make them cheaper and there will be more reapeat visitors rather than just the one offs, therefore more regular income...

Good Luck Romfo.
Hope to see you back in a devils shirt soon.

Twinkle said:
After reading pages of , well , not to sure what to call it i have realised one thing.

Devils fans will never ever be happy/satisfied :evil:

Not choosing any particular post but boy do we have some huge hypocites on here. G is having his best season/G is our worse defencemen/ G should go on the bench (Even though its stated we cant afford it).....Finnerty contacted the club/G contacted Finnerty...Romfo is crap , gas him/worse defenceman/ Romfo is fantastic how dare G get rid of him. We have paid Finnerty too much/shouldnt have bought Finnerty in/Great signing that Finnerty/Well done G. Romfo isnt Brads drinking buddy ,thats why he was gassed/G and Voth are too close. Our team are now stronger/our team are now weaker. For the good of the team/disgusted at G...and so on and so on and so on and so on.
Seriously people chillout !!
quote]

Would you rather every Devils' fan had the same opinion??? That would make the inferno an exciting read!!!

schulersagoodun said:
Would you rather every Devils' fan had the same opinion??? That would make the inferno an exciting read!!!
Not at all...but thats not what i inferred in my post.

There are some cracking threads on here.....but as soon as something changes the doom and gloom posts come out.

First it was BP,then Planet ice,then the Tent...it just goes on and on.

Anyway,i'm not going to add to the D&G post count anymore,i look on the brightside and am looking forward to two great victories against Cov after Christmas :) :)

I think things are getting a bit over the top but then again the devils are kind of to blame for that, if they hadn't said originally that G would be going back to the bench and then turned around and gassed romfo, i don't think it would have gotten as big a reaction as it has.
Schulersagoodun its amazing how you only post when you want to criticise whats going on and when something good is done there is nothing from you. Im amazed you still go to watch the devils.

rolf

a real shame this, i just hope this news hasn't been a total shock to the guy and that he has had some time to prepare for this. for whatever the reasons, not for me to speculate on, the fact is this guy is a long way from home and 1 week away from christmas. not the ideal time to be checking the situations vacant pages. i am sure that his recent performances will generate some interest from other eihl clubs and that if he chooses to stay here, he will not be unemployed for long.

good out of bad, perhaps he has been paid his two weeks notice today and signs a new contract over the weekend in which case, kerrching - a handy xmas bonus for the romfos. i for one hope so.

Rempel16

Twinkle, people are hardly going to come on to this thread and celebrate the fact that Romfo has been gassed. So of course there is going to be an air of doom and gloom.
He was one of our own and now he isn't and that's just a little hard to stomach as his performances have vastly improved in the last few games.

Nmase, in fairness to Schulersagoodun there, the poster has merely stated that as the Inferno is a forum, opininons/rumours are divided and rightly so. No real criticism there.

Back to the topic, yes G's hand has been forced here, but that is the case, I think Romfo has been the unfortunate victim.
Trying to look at the situation logically, there are no forwards on the roster that G could feasibly replace.

That leaves 3 import d-men- Hartwick, Romfo, Jarvis.
Hartwick is our only stay at home man so his job was safe.
That leaves G the option of cutting a new d-man who has taken 20 games to settle, or our top-scoring d-man who plays well night in, night out.

For me, G's decision was a no-brainer.

Romfo is a very good hockey player but he has been the weakest link on D up until December so has found himself in the firing line.

Does anyone else not agree that a big problem for the shakiness of our D in games has been down to the number of odd-man rushes we concede? I don't know what the stats suggest but I can't remember us ever conceding so many in previous seasons. A big reason for odd-man rushes getting created is a half-hearted back check from the forwards.

With Finnerty being an excellent 2-way forward he should be a massive help in shoring this up. He created a few neutral zone turnovers last night and for that alone our defence has improved in this decision imo.

Kipper

What makes the Devils different to any other team in any professional sport? If a better player becomes available that the coach thinks will improve the team then someone will be cut. Fact of life, harsh as it may be to the individual who has to go.

If someone had to go, then sadly Romfo was the obvious candidate.A player has to perform consistently over the season not just for a couple of weeks.Romfo had an indifferent first three months with us and would have been on the coach's radar undoubtedly as a result.

davew

I think most people are upset/incensed at the way Romfo's release has come about, more than the fact that a player has been released.

IF G had not made such a public statement about benching himself then I would think 99% of this thread's posts would not exist. We all believed the club were looking to ensure we had valuable injury cover for our push for silverware after the new year. As a club we have had too many season's hopes dashed by late season injuries... G's own words gave us hope...

Through a miss managed departure our high hopes have again been dashed. Hell, I'm sure most people would have accepted a 25p/50p ticket price increase or increased car park donation to help with the costs...

It still does not excuse the club from not announcing his departure after the giants game to allow him a prper farewell NOR from witholding his MOM for that he certainly was. Good luck Scott You have proved you ARE a devil.

Kipper said:
What makes the Devils different to any other team in any professional sport? If a better player becomes available that the coach thinks will improve the team then someone will be cut. Fact of life, harsh as it may be to the individual who has to go.

If someone had to go, then sadly Romfo was the obvious candidate.A player has to perform consistently over the season not just for a couple of weeks.Romfo had an indifferent first three months with us and would have been on the coach's radar undoubtedly as a result.
Personally I believe Romfo wasn t too bad at the beginning of the season, he made a few silly errors, admittedly they were high profile errors that led to goals. His improvement however, was a far greater improvement than that of Sly s a couple of years back that saw Sly stay with the club following his notice. The difference is Sly was a forward so it showed up in points.

I would like to wish Scott all the best for the future, just a shame it couldn t be as a devil

Here's a thought. Keep Romfo, win some trophies, challenge for the title. By default more tickets will be sold because a successful team will sell more tickets and more sponsorship.

Having watched the team on Wednesday and breaking the Belfast stranglehold, it ws time to move forward wi th Jarvis coming back a well. Sorry don't accept financial agument. Now is the time for the owner to take a gamble not treat it purely as a business. Hockey is a passion as well. Can you imagine, a few trophies, we could put an etra 300 bums on seats which would more than cover any short falls.

Come on management take the gamble.