Romfo Released!

august04

Finny said:
One final point, this whole situation will probably be familiar to those who were fans in 1996/97 season.

Steffan Ziesche had made an indifferent start to the season and many fans wanted him to replace. His form then improved before he was suprisingly released just before Chistmas.

His replacement was a certain Steve Thornton who proved to be the spark to turn a good Devils team into a league winning team.
Thornton was a massive upgrade on Ziesche in terms of offensive ability back then. We are now far worse off defensively having replaced Romfo with Adams at the back. Will this be outweighed by the arrival of Finnerty? I don't know, but I hope for Adams' sake that proves to be the case. If not, this could be a decision that will come back and haunt him. There must be concern over Jarvis too, having been out for several weeks and after a strong start to the season, his form had tailed off significantly in the games leading up to his injury in my opinion.

Finny

rogue123 said:
I personally would rather see 2000+ paying a couple of quid less per ticket than have 1000, JUST, paying full price.
I personally would like to see 2000+ people going in for free but that's not how you run a club.

I can't really see how dropping the price would affect it. I think a couple of people said they couldn't make the game because of works parties, I'm lucky mine is tonight. A lot of the casual fans are probably using this week to do christmas shopping etc.

If you dropped the ticket price by £3 then you would need roughly 300 extra fans to break even. I can't see that change in price making such a difference. And it would probably just mean they would go do the Wed game instead of the Saturday game so you're losing out even more.

Finny

MADCAT said:
But he did not become available in the sense that his other team let him go and you offered him a deal..the way I read the release was that he was offered a deal by Cardiff he could not refuse...so obviously G had already decided someone had to go.
I read/ heard somewhere (DevilsTV) that it was actually Finnerty who contacted the Devils. I think there was talk in the summer but nothing happened. Finnerty then read somewhere that Jarvis was out injured and contacted someone (Franny?) to see if they needed a replacement. G was willing to offer a 2 year contract which was better than what he was on at his current team so he took the deal.

Finny said:
MADCAT said:
But he did not become available in the sense that his other team let him go and you offered him a deal..the way I read the release was that he was offered a deal by Cardiff he could not refuse...so obviously G had already decided someone had to go.
I read/ heard somewhere (DevilsTV) that it was actually Finnerty who contacted the Devils. I think there was talk in the summer but nothing happened. Finnerty then read somewhere that Jarvis was out injured and contacted someone (Franny?) to see if they needed a replacement. G was willing to offer a 2 year contract which was better than what he was on at his current team so he took the deal.
Well I did not read that and the way it was made to sound was that G had contacted Finnerty, but still no matter who contacted who, G obviously had it in his mind someone other than himself might have to go...Don't tell me he had not talked about what money was available before he offered Finnerty a two year contract...and he must have known then that it might not be possible for him to become a full time bench coach due to costs.

Finny said:
rogue123 said:
I personally would rather see 2000+ paying a couple of quid less per ticket than have 1000, JUST, paying full price.
I personally would like to see 2000+ people going in for free but that's not how you run a club.

I can't really see how dropping the price would affect it. I think a couple of people said they couldn't make the game because of works parties, I'm lucky mine is tonight. A lot of the casual fans are probably using this week to do christmas shopping etc.

If you dropped the ticket price by £3 then you would need roughly 300 extra fans to break even. I can't see that change in price making such a difference. And it would probably just mean they would go do the Wed game instead of the Saturday game so you're losing out even more.
Fair comment but as i said look what happened in Newcastle ! anyway im sure that all the people there last night are going to be the same faces you see on Saturday, apart from the hospitality area. Bit dropping prices a bit would have tempted a lot more people to go, as i know that some friends of mine would have liked to have gone but they couldnt afford it on top of last weeks and this Saturday's game and christmas next week. Also i thought G had metioned that he might drop to the bench if we signed a new player ? Surely he knew then that we didnt have the finances for that to happen ! Also does anyone actually know when Jarvis is due back as for the last 2 weeks we have been told he is due back next game ? I dont fancy playing Coventry twice next week being a D man down. We cant afford to lose again to the Chavs otherwise thats the league down the pan

Wannabe2

matt1986 said:
Some of you need to read the walesonline article.

We did not have the finances to drop G back to the bench, therefore someone had to go. So the only other alternative would have been to sack G as player-coach and promote another current player.

Yes Romfo has been playing better over the past few weeks, no one is disputing that. So the question is, with our current team, who would you rather have as our main attacking defenseman? Jarvis? or Romfo?

I don't think you can compare us to the Steelers over this situation. The article says we are doing everything we can to help Scott to find a way of continuing with his degree. Who knows, maybe G is helping Scott find another UK team?
And that sums it all up, i was gutted when i heard as we never like to lose one of our own, and Scott was getting better with every game, however Jarvo is the better of the two. G is the man whos job it is to win trophies for this club, and obviously he will stay or go depending on his results. If the club dont have the resources that we would like them to have then they dont, and thats life, it can never be a easy thing to lose a player but sometimes it has to be done, its not the first and certainly wont be the last. If we win the league, or finish 2nd, if we win the Challenge cup, or if we win the play-offs, then this issue will be forgotten. Are we sorry about this decision YES, will we be elbowed if we win nowt NO, and so we have to move on, we need to beat Hull saturday, and then give our nearest neighbours a pounding on the 26th and the 27th. Good luck Scotty, hopefully as one door closes, another one opens, and thanks for being a part of a very good squad.

Finny

MADCAT said:
Well I did not read that and the way it was made to sound was that G had contacted Finnerty, but still no matter who contacted who, G obviously had it in his mind someone other than himself might have to go...Don't tell me he had not talked about what money was available before he offered Finnerty a two year contract...and he must have known then that it might not be possible for him to become a full time bench coach due to costs.
Possibly, at the time G was suggesting that he would drop to the bench himself. Perhaps he was just covering his track - not wanting to upset a player by telling them he was about to be released.
I'm guessing this decision was made before the start of the month, when our average attendance was at 1450.
Since then we haven't had any attendance reach that (though the weekend games have come close).
If you assume an average ticket price of £10 then we have lost out on around £9000 of ticket revenue that we might have been planning for.

Hopefully once christmas is over the attendances will start to go back up as they usually do and we will be in a better position to do something similar next season.

i wonder if the Giants would take him short term?

Shane Johnson currently has concussion and hasn't played for a few weeks and seems uncertain as to when he will be back, we also have Walton out to February also so if Romfo is free might he be tempted?

This means we are playing with only 4 d men which appeared to be our downfall according to updates from last nights game.

I would imagine he would fit our style of team no problem and if he did join might play against the Devils in the 2nd leg, how funny would that be if he scored the winner that knocked you's out :lol: .

That point raises an interesting point. In football if a player isn't registered in time for the first leg he can't play in the second.

With such a big gap between the two legs, there is a good chance that either team could make changes to their roster!

bluedevil said:
That point raises an interesting point. In football if a player isn't registered in time for the first leg he can't play in the second.

With such a big gap between the two legs, there is a good chance that either team could make changes to their roster!
do you honestly beleive that the EIHL are organised enough to have something like this covered?

I think they would wait until it happened and then fine the club stating that they should have known better :lol:

oh and then gave Brad another suspended sentence, just to make sure ;)

osh

Finny said:
scottydoesntknow said:
I was on about the whole situation.... bringing finnerty in etc.
I think when a player of Finnerty's ability become available you don't want to risk losing out.

And let's not forget as someone else said, 3 weeks ago the masses wanted Romfo out. Heck, even last night he was getting some stick off someone in block 3.

Perhaps G told him a couple of weeks ago that they were looking into bringing someone else in, and that's why his performances improved so much.

If G had announced 3 weeks ago that Romfo would be out and Finnerty in then I think most people would have been happy.

And back then our attendances were pretty good. Perhaps they were hoping a CC Semi-Final would be near a sellout. An attendance around 1800ish (which I was hoping for originally) instead of 1066 might well have earned us enough additional money to pay for Romfo for the rest of the season.
Finny; Some people admittedly wanted Romfo out a few weeks ago, You exaggerate when you say the 'masses' wanted him out. How many inferno members are there ? how many voiced their opinion that they wanted him out ? I think if you look at the numbers, it was in fact the minority who wanted him out and not the majority as you are trying to intimate, I think you are making the most of the old term literary licence to try and make your point ! As for him going, well that's a decision that's been taken by those in whom we have to trust, let's just hope that it doesn't come back to haunt us.

Adams replacing Romfo on D? :shock: Yeh, its about money blah blah blah but still thats not improving our team. If we couldn't afford Finnerty why bring him in? Its hardly encouraging to the rest of the team to know that if someone becomes available we'll get them in and replace someone. Have to live with it I suppose, but I'm not happy about it. I like Romfo, never said anything bad about him, as I thought he's been ok all year, now he's showing how good he is and he gets sacked. I hope he goes on to another Elite team and shows G what a mistake it was! :evil:

in the big picture this could be good for the teams title push

while i've recently become a big fan of scott, who is so far the most improved player of the season, bringing finnerty in is a better fit for the club. He showed last night that he brings a solid 2-way performance to the team and that could help us perform on the road

at the end of the day the club has to stick to budget and its essentially the same as all jobs, and scotts young and will bounce back, be it in our league or another.

I have no doubt that Matt, Shannon and G will help romfo in securing a new job and i wish him all the best for the future!

bbv

Merthyr Devil said:
Adams replacing Romfo on D? :shock: Yeh, its about money blah blah blah but still thats not improving our team. If we couldn't afford Finnerty why bring him in? Its hardly encouraging to the rest of the team to know that if someone becomes available we'll get them in and replace someone. Have to live with it I suppose, but I'm not happy about it. I like Romfo, never said anything bad about him, as I thought he's been ok all year, now he's showing how good he is and he gets sacked. I hope he goes on to another Elite team and shows G what a mistake it was! :evil:
It's not really swapping G for romfo though is it? And G can't cut himself as he's pointed out, i would say over all its an improvement in the team. When you get the oppurtunity to sign players of finnerty's quality mid way through a season its not something most coaches would miss and a lot of teams were trying to get him. Would say its discouraging for the team, just shows them they need to work their socks off if they want to keep their spot.

As long as Finnerty et al score more goals than we let in then it will be ok, won't it? If it doesn't happen every single game from now till the end of the season I'll reserve the right to judge. ;) :lol:

PuckIt said:
Im gutted! Romfo has put in some solid performances over the last couple of games, and G has looked way off the mark! But if we can play the same kind of hockey as we did last night with Jarvis back on the ice then I'll be well happy!

ARE YOU SERIOUS? G has been awesome this season his best as a Devil so far

Shame as has been mentioned, Scotty has really turned it around lately. Best of luck Scotty!

Unfortunately looks like it was the only choice... onwards and upwards and all that...

Feel reallllly sorry for Romfo, he's been outstanding the last few games. I'll admit I was a bit critical of him at the start of the year, but he really has improved. I mean the talk before was about G axing himself, so why the sudden change? I appreciate that the club has to control it's finances, but the club hasn't handled this very well, we didn't even get to show our appreciation.

I presume he's played his two weeks notice? Wasn't he doing some PR thing doing specsavers tomorrow?

Good luck Scott, and thanks.

Maybe he wasn't one of Brads drinking buddies?, whatever it is it bloody stinks. And there was me thinking the devils organisation was getting more professional, Tut...... :evil: