Romfo Released!

steve

OK, so he's going. Don't agree with it necessarily but these things happen.

Why the hell wasn't it announced before last night so we could all have shown some gratitude for what he's done for us!?!?

BAD FORM.

Gutted.

Looks like we are sticking to the wage cap then? And G will carry on playing?

Not overly happy as he's been playing very well lately, and had a good shout for MOM last night. G whilst having generally good games, I noticed last night was very slow on the turn and I thought to myself, "glad he's the one being benched for Finnerty"

But sometimes something's gotta give?

Just hope we still bench G and bring in an ex NHL D man
:roll: ;)

Good luck Scott, let's hope we can be selfish, renegotiate his contract or just give him a job with Matt so he is there if we need him and he can carry on with his studies? :mrgreen:

First and foremost... absoloutely GUTTED

I agree with SPEEDACE...
with the arrival of Finnerty I thought we were going to be a much stronger team, with Adams as a great versatille injury cover to call on.
Now Im left feeling very dissapointed that we have released our best import D of late who was improving on already solid performances game by game. Ultimately making the team worse.

I also share the same view as one of the posters above who was "glad he's the one being benched for Finnerty" or something along the lines of that.

Whilst G has been very good this season, he is still the worst import on our roster (in my opinion) and by benching himself, would have made it easier for him to see the things that he may have missed while on the ice, making him able to coach better.

Very bad decision
Very dissapointed
Very annoyed

I hate to say this, but I think G's lost it!

James

Administrator
playing devils advocate (No offence Devils advocate) and donning a flame proof suit , if this news had broken 3 weeks earlier I suspect a lot of people would have been extatic at the prospect of releasing Romfo and getting in Finnerty. I'm not suggesting it's the case but players have been known to pick up their game to snag another team when they know they are being released. Either way, if we can't afford the extra players, the way Nottingham can we have to live with it :(
Still disapointed though.

Sliput

scottydoesntknow said:
Whilst G has been very good this season, he is still the worst import on our roster (in my opinion) and by benching himself, would have made it easier for him to see the things that he may have missed while on the ice, making him able to coach better.

Very bad decision
Very dissapointed
Very annoyed

I hate to say this, but I think G's lost it!
I'm sorry....READ the report !!

We cant afford Romfo,it has nothing to do with how good G is or isnt. He is our coach whether he plays or not .

Its cash...pure and simple. Also,they are looking after Scott regarding his studies so its not like its ''Thanks Scott....your fired''

Finny

If anyone has a spare couple of hundred pounds a week spare they want to give the club to allow Romfo to stay then I'm sure G will be happy to accept it and keep himself as a spare import.

Otherwise, I think this action had to be made.

After a very impressive start to the season attendance-wise - the last couple have been average and last night's only just broke 1000 barrier. I know it was midweek and very close to christmas, but in the end it's the attendances that pay the wages and without those big attendances we can't afford to pay for a spare import.

good luck scott, just as he was settling in,If they are still gonna support him with his schooling then are we paying him not to play..... Would of like to see Doug Maciver come back rather than seeing him go to the Phantoms.....

Sliput said:
I'm sorry....READ the report !!

We cant afford Romfo,it has nothing to do with how good G is or isnt. He is our coach whether he plays or not .

Its cash...pure and simple. Also,they are looking after Scott regarding his studies so its not like its ''Thanks Scott....your fired''
I was on about the whole situation.... bringing finnerty in etc.

James

Administrator
derek6368 said:
good luck scott, just as he was settling in,If they are still gonna support him with his schooling then are we paying him not to play
Maybe if he is staying in the area he would continue to train with the team and be available for injury cover ala Molin ?

Im gutted! Romfo has put in some solid performances over the last couple of games, and G has looked way off the mark! But if we can play the same kind of hockey as we did last night with Jarvis back on the ice then I'll be well happy!

Finny

scottydoesntknow said:
I think when a player of Finnerty's ability become available you don't want to risk losing out.

And let's not forget as someone else said, 3 weeks ago the masses wanted Romfo out. Heck, even last night he was getting some stick off someone in block 3.

Perhaps G told him a couple of weeks ago that they were looking into bringing someone else in, and that's why his performances improved so much.

If G had announced 3 weeks ago that Romfo would be out and Finnerty in then I think most people would have been happy.

And back then our attendances were pretty good. Perhaps they were hoping a CC Semi-Final would be near a sellout. An attendance around 1800ish (which I was hoping for originally) instead of 1066 might well have earned us enough additional money to pay for Romfo for the rest of the season.

Finny

One final point, this whole situation will probably be familiar to those who were fans in 1996/97 season.

Steffan Ziesche had made an indifferent start to the season and many fans wanted him to replace. His form then improved before he was suprisingly released just before Chistmas.

His replacement was a certain Steve Thornton who proved to be the spark to turn a good Devils team into a league winning team.

Not sure why people are annoyed. You have signed a very good forward and replaced your weakest defenceman. Every team has their budget. You can't expect to have big earners like Voth, Smith and Finnerty and have money for a spare import.

Finny said:
[
And let's not forget as someone else said, 3 weeks ago the masses wanted Romfo out.
Don't really agree with this comment, what does it matter what people thought 3 weeks ago? Its his performance now that matters and he's been playing damn well and you can't say thats why his performance is better.
Not that im agreeing with the people going nuts about it i just think that doesn't make much sense.
My initial thought on seeing this news is absolutely gutting but i suppose if someone has to go someone has to go, not much you can do about it.
Just out of interest if other people had their choice of 1 import that HAD to go who would it be? i think the majority of people would come to romfo, even though its a VERY hard choice to make with this years team.
Absolutely gutted for you romfo, but good luck where ever you may end up.

James

Administrator
nmase20 said:
Don't really agree with this comment, what does it matter what people thought 3 weeks ago? Its his performance now that matters and he's been playing damn well and you can't say thats why his performance is better.
It matters if you give the guy his 2 weeks notice. Moreso if you give him his 2 weeks notice and he works another week till your no1 defenceman is fit. Just a guess, but an example how performance 3 weeks ago can count.

steve

i don't think it was 'planned' in that sense anyway.

as shannon said, they considered it an opportunity they couldn't pass up.

Gutted is an understatement when i heard this news. If it is about finances then how come the club can employ a full time marketing rep ? Last nights attendence was an example of, yet again, the chance to have a BIG crowd at a Big game was missed again. Dont forget christmas is just around the corner and we have had 2 home games each week this month. If the club had lowered the prices i am sure many more people would have attended. Just look at what the Vipers done the other month. . . Yet this club . . NOTHING ! I personally would rather see 2000+ paying a couple of quid less per ticket than have 1000, JUST, paying full price. This decision SUCKS about finances not being there when we continue to miss out on having a full house. By the way ROMFO should have been MOM ! Good Luck SCOTT and thanks for being a gentleman through all this :evil:

Finny said:
scottydoesntknow said:
I think when a player of Finnerty's ability become available you don't want to risk losing out.

But he did not become available in the sense that his other team let him go and you offered him a deal..the way I read the release was that he was offered a deal by Cardiff he could not refuse...so obviously G had already decided someone had to go.