Playoff Rumours

Rempel16

I wasn't merely relating to the fact he left (although for that argument at least the others bothered to mention they were going- DS simply got onto a plane).

Its his lax attitude to all areas of the game. He has a 10min spell in every game where he show nhl qualities. The other 50mins he couldn't be bothered!!! Waste of time for me. Give me a 100% every game player every time.

ASHIPP

Puck - just like all the other guys discussing DS on this thread, I am refering to HOW he left the Bison, not WHY. :roll: His circumstances were obvious and I totally sympathise. BUT, from what is known, he didn't notify the Club properly and simply boarded a plane back to Canada. Imagine if one of the Devils had done that - how would the remainder of the team and the fans feel? Danny Stewart was a good player who obviously felt let down by his Club. Livelihood or not, he could have worked his notice like some others and kept his reputation intact for future career. :oops:

puck

Didn't Ryan Aldridge comment on Lyle leaving last season by saying that he had Lyle's assurance he wasn't going to abandon the side following Thornton's move to Belfast. He said that one night and the following morning Lyle was packed up (they shared a house in Basingstoke) and booked on the next plane to Belfast.

Careers and money force good people in to making bad decisions sometimes.

I'm not advocating a move for Stewart here, heaven knows we've had enough people with tons of talent not show up for us game after game over the years (Max Birbraer and Sly to name just 2). I'm just understanding how it must have felt playing for Basingstoke while several other talented teammates of an already diminished team jumped ship (Cruickshank and Richardson leaving not long before).

ASHIPP

puck said:
Didn't Ryan Aldridge comment on Lyle leaving last season by saying that he had Lyle's assurance he wasn't going to abandon the side following Thornton's move to Belfast. He said that one night and the following morning Lyle was packed up (they shared a house in Basingstoke) and booked on the next plane to Belfast.

Careers and money force good people in to making bad decisions sometimes.

I'm not advocating a move for Stewart here, heaven knows we've had enough people with tons of talent not show up for us game after game over the years (Max Birbraer and Sly to name just 2). I'm just understanding how it must have felt playing for Basingstoke while several other talented teammates of an already diminished team jumped ship (Cruickshank and Richardson leaving not long before).
Puck - I've learned something new today, I didn't know about the Lyle incident last season. Bit ominous then if he does return to Cardiff (pack his bags and leave for Coventry?!). :eek:
It must have been extremely difficult for all those Bison players (all credit to Eric Braff and the Guys who stayed), especially when other Elite teams had come after talented team mates. Returning to Canada might have given DS more options (although expect he would have been signed by a British club ) but he didn't really do himself any favours over here. :?

puck

Yes, sorry angie my order may be out. I do remember though that Aldridge said it was a complete shock to him and an overnight change of mind, no notice period served etc. I remember at the time thinking that it didn't sound like something Lily would do, but I guess you can only understand how bad it was in Basingstoke if you played there at that time.

Rempel16

Burgy said:
Obviously we have heard about Silver today but i have also heard that Campbell might not be returning.
I also heard the same. However, since his injury he has become more of a risk to take on. Hopefully this will mean that he is in less demand so he comes back!!!! (crosses fingers)

I am not convinced Lyle is the way to go, but I understand why we would consider it. I think there may be a "home grown" element to his selection if he does return and I think there may be a focus on ensuring that Welsh players return to or stay with the Devils next season and beyond. (This was actually a comment I heard in Cardiff just prior to the play offs, from a good source). It was just a remark and there was no mention of us aiming to sign Stevie, just the emphasis on Welsh players, but his name was mentioned and I wouldnt be suprised to see him return.

I think that ensuring we keep our best local talent is important (but not a the expence of the talent on the ice) and I guess it can work with Lyle. A top brit goalie gives you options, but the team is going to have to match this years Giants and stay injury free for the gamble to pay off.
We shall see.

Unsubstanciated rumours I have heard in the last few days are.
Verner to leave Vipers with Koenig a possible replacement
Damian Surma looking at the EIHL (he played with Parco recently)
Tait and Calder have offers in Denmark
Coventry to sign a netminder playing in Austria and to sign Danny Meyers
Molin to return to Sweden