Pete Russell confirmed as Head Coach

august04 2.0

He said all the right things anyway. It’ll be interesting to see who returns from last year. I'm sure the Brits know what to expect but a few others might be getting a shock to the system. I wish PR all the best - the team will be expected to work hard every night at the very least, which is a step forward from last year.

terry hunt

I seem to recall he won the Superleague for us the only time .
In spite of the clique of poisonous fans who claimed players did it.
Many of the same clique are so called fans and forum posters-

Personally, I’m really happy with the appointment of PR.

This has been a really positive thread so I’m struggling a little to understand your reasoning behind your devisive remarks.
Surely, in all honesty it was a combination of the coach AND the players !

august04 2.0

What a poisonous post and you have the temerity to attack “poisonous fans”! Why not try to be happy that we’ve got a new coach who seems to have a lot of support today?

ASHIPP

Great news. PR is the coach of a gold medal winning (several times over) national team, a league winner in the DEL2 and a previous coach in this league. What's not to like?
What I like about this appointment is that PR has demonstrated how passionate he is coaching the national team ...this could translate into coaching our team. He also gets the passion of Devils fans, and understands the need for entertainment and compete level.

Particularly pleased for our younger players like Josh Waller who will get the development and opportunities they need and deserve to thrive. Hopefully we might see Bayley Harewood and Rhys Kelly getting a lot more icetime too.

Welcome to Cardiff PR and Euan!

moggy#9

There's a temptation to think that we're going to be guaranteed silverware with PR. That's never going to be a given when we have the likes of Sheffield and Belfast striving for the same thing. What I do think we're guaranteed is a team that will be well organised, work hard and who come to play every night. I also think that we're going to have a coach who has plans and counter plans, and drills the players to make sure they can actually pass the puck accurately. Throw in unleashing Brandt and pietroniro on a heavy forecheck and I think most fans will be very happy.

lloyd_jeff

Probably the best signing of the last few yrs, we all know what we are getting with PR, 23/24 is going in the right direction. Now he needs to be furnished with a team to match the larger arena clubs, then we can look forward to a decent season. Hopefully any baggage will be binned and replaced as this isn’t a retirement club for the old & incompetent, let’s actually Go Devils.

Chris

Administrator
I haven't seen any mention of this elsewhere, but is he continuing in his role with GB does anyone know?

Excellent appointment for the Devils though :)

Probably wishful thinking but I’m really hoping the 2/3 already signed are Sam Herr, Johnny Curran and Dyson Stevenson!
Would love to see Stevenson in Cardiff - not sure he will, but the attitude and temperament that he has shown the past 12 months with the Clan, especially with all of the obstacles and challenges they have had to face is mightily impressive - he would be an excellent addition and attribute for PR and the Devils and a player who would wear the jersey with pride and give his all. Guess we will have to wait and see.

Devil94

Will be interesting to see if the approach to recruitment changes, as for the first time in god knows how long we have a coach who on paper at least, will have very little North American connections but a lot of European connections and knowledge.
Looking at the last Elite League team he assembled in Glasgow, there were 4 Europeans on that roster. And that was before his years in Germany where his phone contacts list must have grown.
Hopefully he will follow suit here and we will have a few European players to add another aspect to the rather one dimensional team we have had in the last few years.