Parking cost rise

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we turn up in a caravan I'm guessing we can park for free :D

Seriously though, it's an extra £1 from last season, which in the scheme of things is nothing, and actually £2 to park for a night is very reasonable.......

HOWEVER, I think this was a really stupid move by PR - at a time when people are clearly questioning the ticket price rises etc, and also feeling the squeeze of general living costs - this could be the proverbial "straw".

I don't think for a minute that anyone would have the slightest problem paying a couple of quid if it was a half decent tarmac surface with a bit of lighting, but quite frankly it's a mess that could potentially mess your car up or cause injury.

They should either simply change the wording etc from "charging £2" (which actually legally I believe they are not allowed to do and is what is getting lots of people's backs up) to "we are asking for a suggested voluntary donation of £2 for the DCF" or scrap it and change it back to £1

Sorry I know this has been said a million times but the Devils do not own the car park. Therefore cannot make you pay to park there.

Don't like the charge, don't pay. It's as simple as that.

DevilDom

I'm actually going to buck the trend here and think £2 to park for 3-4 hours next to a sporting venue whilst an event is on is not that unreasonable.

Yes the "car park" is nothing more than a piece of wasteland but I remember paying £5 to park on a similar piece of wasteland next to the Cardiff City stadium only a year or so ago.

We all seem to want everything for the Devils - Great Elite team on the ice, ENL team, DCF, etc. as long it doesn't cost us any extra! The fact of the matter is that the current business model has not worked for years and it has to be changed in somehow.

DevilDom said:
I'm actually going to buck the trend here and think £2 to park for 3-4 hours next to a sporting venue whilst an event is on is not that unreasonable.

Yes the "car park" is nothing more than a piece of wasteland but I remember paying £5 to park on a similar piece of wasteland next to the Cardiff City stadium only a year or so ago.

We all seem to want everything for the Devils - Great Elite team on the ice, ENL team, DCF, etc. as long it doesn't cost us any extra! The fact of the matter is that the current business model has not worked for years and it has to be changed in somehow.
It may be reasonable but instead of improving things, match night experience etc to try and attract and retain new fans. The club is going back to the regulars to try and increase revenue, perhaps they need to try harder getting sponsorship.

I don t personally think £2 is excessive for parking and if the club improved the car park, surface and lighting the hike may be justified, However this just stinks of the club trying to get extra revenue from the regular fan, it will not attract new fans nor will it improve the atmosphere or match night experience.

As this club has found out before it is difficult to attract people back once they start doing other things

I fear for the future with the current administration

Skippy

Re: Re: Parking cost rise

DevilDom said:

As much as I loath posting like this

+1 totally agree

skippy said:
DevilDom said:

As much as I loath posting like this

+1 totally agree
So we go on to the new business model of , lets screw the die hards, they will pay it,. Lets do nothing to attract new sponsors or supporters in to the club as I said earlier I fear for the future

DevilDom

jodysstillagirlsname said:
So we go on to the new business model of , lets screw the die hards, they will pay it,. Lets do nothing to attract new sponsors or supporters in to the club as I said earlier I fear for the future
I didn't say that. The Devils have to look at all revenue streams. Siting there and saying we need more money but I'm not paying extra for anything doesn't help. How much does it cost to park in Coventry, Sheffield or Nottingham next to the rink?

Finny

I'm not sure this is screwing the die hards.

This die hards will know to either:
-get there very early before they start charging
-park elsewhere

It'll be the occasional fan who doesn't know about the increase in parking charges who will end up paying. I'd rather them do something like this where you have the option of paying more than to increase the cost of tickets where you have no choice.

Finny

And, at the risk of being acused of being too "pro-club", at least they have told us about the price increase ahead of the first game.

Similar things in the past have been kept secret and sprung on the customers as a surprise when they have got there.

Jones72

DevilDom said:

Well said that man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Earnie

Parking has been ridiculously cheap at the BBT and swimming pool - far cheaper than at the old ice rink.
With our current facility we struggle to keep heads above water so I have no problem with two pounds for whatever cause.

However £5 at swimming pool is a bit potty, other than motivation to send everyone to the rink car park.

DevilDom said:
I didn't say that. The Devils have to look at all revenue streams. Siting there and saying we need more money but I'm not paying extra for anything doesn't help. How much does it cost to park in Coventry, Sheffield or Nottingham next to the rink?
The Devils do indeed have to look at all revenue streams, as does every other team in the league. So instead of taking the easy option and trying to force a charge on people why do they not put some bloody effort into it? What's wrong with copying Coventrys birthday packages or Sheffields 50/50 initiative or heaven forbid thinking up something new.
What it costs to park elswhere is irrelevant, none of those places has an adjacent parking facility which is owned by the council and free of charge. Can you imagine the posts on here slagging them off if they did have a free facility and someone demnded payment to park.

But it is swings and roundabouts, £1 spent more on the car park is one less 50/50 ticket or SOHB ticket. I can't see the logic of upsetting your core customers. Less attending = less atmosphere for the ones that do attend and it will dwindle from there. There are already fans ( especially families ) not attending the friendlies due to cost and then another £1 is added. I am not personally bothered about another £1 but some people will be, however I am concerned about crowd numbers and the atmosphere generated because lets face it until you have attended a few games and get a better understanding of the sport it is the atmosphere and the experience that brings fans back

Earnie said:
Parking has been ridiculously cheap at the BBT and swimming pool - far cheaper than at the old ice rink.
With our current facility we struggle to keep heads above water so I have no problem with two pounds for whatever cause.

However £5 at swimming pool is a bit potty, other than motivation to send everyone to the rink car park.
At the old rink NCP were sponsors and you could purchase an exit ticket for £2.50, therefore you could park at 9.00 am and spend all day in the city and then purchase your exit ticket from the rink for £2.50 now that was cheap Saturday parking for a city centre.

You didn t get a free Echo though, hows that going to work for Sunday Games ? Great pay your £2 and get yesterdays paper free yeah right I'll have some of that

I was always happy paying £1 to park in a sh*t car park in the knowledge that it would help the DCF. Whilst £2 is not exceptional for car parking per se, it is when you consider the state of the car park we have to park in.

I'll just continue to pay my £1 regardless.

If your all so bothered about the state of the car park would you rather your £1/£2 went to the maintenance of the car park than nihl teams? Serious question.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

Diafol

shoes_off said:
I was always happy paying £1 to park in a sh*t car park in the knowledge that it would help the DCF. Whilst £2 is not exceptional for car parking per se, it is when you consider the state of the car park we have to park in.

I'll just continue to pay my £1 regardless.
Good shout, having seen some of the comments on Facebook yesterday it seems that it's not the extra £1 that's offending people, it's the state of the car park you have to pay (more) for which is getting people's backs up.

Unfortunately for the Devils organisation they are caught between a rock and a hard place in terms of finances and facilities.

Plans are in place for a new facility, hopefully arriving within the next two years. Therefore, despite the fact the current facility is a crumbling, dangerous mess, who in their right mind would willingly spend money on making it nice and lovely only to have it demolished again in 6-10 months time. (Let's for now, ignore the fact the current facility has stood a crumbling, dangerous mess for 7 years already and focus on the current plans).

Its very difficult as a business to look at spending money, when plans for replacement and refurbishment are all up in the air. Would you spend 2K on your car's MOT if you knew you were getting a brand new one for Christmas? Highly unlikely.

On the other hand, the current economy is having a crushing effect on many businesses, not least something like the notoriously non-profitable business of ice hockey. We are all being squeezed and we make decisions based around that. My view is that if you can't afford to have the luxury (and it is a luxury) of taking yourself and your family to the ice hockey, then simply do not go or make compromises i.e go once every three weeks instead of every two weeks.

The Devils organisation have clearly made a decision to keep the DCF running and to have junior and development teams (something that was looking like it was about to be thrown down the pan only a month or two ago). Within this decision, they need finances to continue. They seek to increase their income in order to produce a quality product for the future. To allow opportunities for children and young people to aspire and to grow. Its these types of organisations and charities that produce Olympic atheletes of the future and right now, that seems to be something very close to a lot of British people's hearts. I'm sure I am correct in saying that we as a fan base all want to have a quality product on the new ice pad in a few years time? We all want that competitive team? Hell, we all want it now. But now it is not sustainable. Plans must be conducted in achievable, baby steps otherwise we all fall into the mud together.

I'm not doubting the difficulty, and probably the sheer guilt they must be feeling (I know I would), at having to ask their fan base to contribute more financially towards a growing future when the facilities themselves are still waiting to be improved. BUT - they are a business, and this how businesses run. Generally, they have to generate more income before they can improve. You wouldn't re-decorate your house when you're already in debt would you? No, you'd wait, and save, until you could afford it.

I only hope that the new facility will be worth the wait, the hassle and the expense.

I would like the car parking fees clarified, as the £1 has always been a DONATION. Probably the easiest way of demonstrating a protest with regards to this is that every single person parks in Morrisons car park, leaving the rink car park totally empty. My point, don't complain and then bend over and get spanked willingly. There are other options.

I'm not bothered about the state of the car park, it won't be there much longer. I'm not bothered about the amount either, I'm fairly certain that the new one, when built, will be a fair bit more expensive. I am however bothered by the fact that the club thinks it can impose a charge for parking on land it doesn't own, taking peoples choice on whether to donate away and assuming that they can continue to take us for mugs and we will all accept it. I don't mind donating to the DCF even though I don't believe for one second that the money gos where we are told it does. I do mind being told that I don't have a choice and I have to pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.