Panthers Vs Devils - League - 11th Dec 22 - 16:00 FO

august04 2.0

Did you tell Kelman during the Q&A he was spouting guff and what was his answer?
In fairness, it wasn’t the most appropriate time for anyone to challenge him in front of a crowded room, as he was a little tetchy I thought and most there were lapping up every word he said. Time was short too. I wanted to challenge him right at the end (but couldn't be arsed when he was on his high horse) when he said there hadn’t been a single incident of bad behaviour reported this season, which is absolutely not the case, as I myself had reported bad behaviour to security during a particularly unpleasant incident in block 10 a few weeks back. In fact I think that incident was reported to security at least 3 times at different points in the game by different people. And I emailed the club about it. And it wasn’t an isolated incident this season either. I think more likely security or whoever else, didn’t report the incident to Todd. He’s happy that there’s no problems with crowd behaviour though, so all good!

osh

Did you tell Kelman during the Q&A he was spouting guff and what was his answer?
by asking that question, I’m assuming you weren’t at the Q&A ? if you were, you’d already know the answer. I wasn’t there either ( sent my questions by email ) but it seems TK was papering over obvious cracks to various questions. The question about being so inconsistent was surely answered last night at Nottingham and is understandably why so many fans are unhappy as nothing seems to be done about it.

Pembo

TK always comes across as sincere when I’ve heard him. I think he should be commended for doing Q&As rather than being an invisible figure like most owners. Biggest issue this season is consistency. DuPont is still a relative rookie coach and the back room team needs a bit of time to get settled, getting out of challenge cup is not end of world with the continental games still on horizon.

Hedd Wyn John

In fairness, it wasn’t the most appropriate time for anyone to challenge him in front of a crowded room, as he was a little tetchy I thought and most there were lapping up every word he said. Time was short too. I wanted to challenge him right at the end (but couldn't be arsed when he was on his high horse) when he said there hadn’t been a single incident of bad behaviour reported this season, which is absolutely not the case, as I myself had reported bad behaviour to security during a particularly unpleasant incident in block 10 a few weeks back. In fact I think that incident was reported to security at least 3 times at different points in the game by different people. And I emailed the club about it. And it wasn’t an isolated incident this season either. I think more likely security or whoever else, didn’t report the incident to Todd. He’s happy that there’s no problems with crowd behaviour though, so all good!
I'd email Todd directly of I were you.

Hedd Wyn John

TK always comes across as sincere when I’ve heard him. I think he should be commended for doing Q&As rather than being an invisible figure like most owners. Biggest issue this season is consistency. DuPont is still a relative rookie coach and the back room team needs a bit of time to get settled, getting out of challenge cup is not end of world with the continental games still on horizon.
You can't fault Todd for standing up in front of the fans and taking questions - most GMs won't do that. I didn't agree with everything he said but at the end of the day he's a GM and his job is to defend the organisation, the team & coaching decisions etc.

Finny

by asking that question, I’m assuming you weren’t at the Q&A ? if you were, you’d already know the answer. I wasn’t there either ( sent my questions by email ) but it seems TK was papering over obvious cracks to various questions. The question about being so inconsistent was surely answered last night at Nottingham and is understandably why so many fans are unhappy as nothing seems to be done about it.
I was at the very start of the Q&A but had to leave after the first couple of questions as I had equipment to setup.

lloyd_jeff

You can't fault Todd for standing up in front of the fans and taking questions - most GMs won't do that. I didn't agree with everything he said but at the end of the day he's a GM and his job is to defend the organisation, the team & coaching decisions etc.
Its not unusual, the head of the WRU recently had to. The fact fans are voicing their concerns & Todd has now at least reacted should be enough for most business owners to bring some changes even if they don’t publicly agree. So I’ll continue watching this space.

osh

Quite right….you can’t fault the man for standing up and answering questions from the floor ( and also body swerving some from emails ? ) Having said that, whilst you say his job is ‘to defend the organisation etc ‘ his job is also to take on board the many good suggestions made otherwise why bother ? He’s more or less done an Arsène Wenger style answer ( I didn’t see it ) by not acknowledging trouble in the stands for example When it has happened on numerous occassions.

I read more than i post but my head was going watching the game last night, the defence this year has been shocking, i don't like to name players out but Batch the last two games has been dire, standing around like he is waiting for a bus, out of position, man handled by many players and when our goalie gets taken out, no reaction. It like he can not be assed. We missed louis last night as many of them hits would of never happened. It says a lot when Kelly at some points was our better defenseman. There is something not right behind closed doors, will we ever know i am unsure about. Yes we had 4 players missing but they were short of players too.

Hedd Wyn John

Its not unusual, the head of the WRU recently had to. The fact fans are voicing their concerns & Todd has now at least reacted should be enough for most business owners to bring some changes even if they don’t publicly agree. So I’ll continue watching this space.
If you're referring to the TV interview Ieuan Evans recently made as newly elected Chair of the WRU I watched that interview and he used a lot of words to say not very much at all. Todd Kelman has been far more open to Devils fans than the Head of the WRU has been to Wales fans.

Hedd Wyn John

Quite right….you can’t fault the man for standing up and answering questions from the floor ( and also body swerving some from emails ? ) Having said that, whilst you say his job is ‘to defend the organisation etc ‘ his job is also to take on board the many good suggestions made otherwise why bother ? He’s more or less done an Arsène Wenger style answer ( I didn’t see it ) by not acknowledging trouble in the stands for example When it has happened on numerous occassions.
I wasn't aware of the trouble in the stands issue again if that's happened it needs to be sorted. Todd isn't the type of guy who'd lie about that sort of thing, it sounds like he genuinely didn't know about it - which means he hasn't been told- so that in itself is an issue.

When I referred to a GM's role as defending the organisation - what I meant is: No GM of any club is gonna come out and tell the fans. "yes we suck, yes the coach sucks & yes all the players suck and yes we made a huge mistake signing them blah blah etc."

A GM is going to justify the organisations the best way they can. That's reality. BTW I'm not for one minute suggesting that the organisation, coach or players all suck - that was just an example before someone has a go.

Gutted I didn’t see the Q&A. I always enjoy them, and I have never agreed with everything that has been said in them.

The league is a bit bonkers this year, but our issues are very much at the back, including the goaltending.

We have individual and system failures which are adding together to show that our D is not a title winning D, and our goalie stats are a bit wild.

Maybe they’re all on an NHL calendar and so we are about to see a turn around in the new year. Wishful thinking.

lloyd_jeff

If you're referring to the TV interview Ieuan Evans recently made as newly elected Chair of the WRU I watched that interview and he used a lot of words to say not very much at all. Todd Kelman has been far more open to Devils fans than the Head of the WRU has been to Wales fans.
Yes l was, the running of the WRU is a far bigger, more challenging and less forgiving role, yet questions still get asked directly in public. Todd has zero accountability as he’s been gifted the role by a bestie & surrounded by fans willing to let stuff fly than risk changes at the club, his motivation is keeping ticket sales healthy. That being said my point was referencing your comment that heads of sports don’t face criticism and answer questions, when in fact they do. Not for one minute am l suggesting Todd isn’t up to the job, whether he’s the best at the job, I’d say no, he is too hands on, which is great if your skill set across every aspect is of a very high standard. The fact Todd seems to have signed off on the team & the coach, I’d suggest recruitment isn’t his thing, as it’s basically crap. As have been various issues across running the club, at the very least I’d expect him to debrief with staff, stewards and security regarding spectator issues and incidents, it’s basic customer service & at the least a Health & Safety issue. Simply telling people he’s not been made aware is utter codswallop (I’d swear if appropriate) considering previous incidents & complaints. Todd people have friends and family and the brains to bring issues to the relevant authorities & organisations, so keep ignoring it, be it on your head.

Last edited:

kettdevil1

Yes l was and the running of the WRU is a far bigger, more challenging and less forgiving role. Todd has zero accountability as he’s been gifted the role by a bestie & surrounded by fans willing to let stuff fly than risk changes at the club. That being said my point was referencing your comment that heads of sports don’t face criticism and answer questions, when in fact they do. Not for one minute am l suggesting Todd isn’t up to the job, whether he’s the best at the job, I’d say no, he is too hands on, which is great if your skill set across every aspect is of a very high standard. The fact Todd seems to have signed off on the team & the coach, I’d suggest recruitment isn’t his thing, as it’s basically crap. As have various issues across running the club.
So if he is not the best at his job, who is? Will be fascinating to know your answer as I wouldn’t swap him for any of the other GMs in the league.

lloyd_jeff

So if he is not the best at his job, who is? Will be fascinating to know your answer as I wouldn’t swap him for any of the other GMs in the league.
That‘s not a question l can answer as I’ve not interviewed anyone for the role of GM at a hockey club, that being said does not mean there are not many hundreds of perfectly capable and qualified individuals on the job market.
Have you read Todd’s CV, did he go to University and gain a degree in Hockey Club Management, does that even exsist, is it a thing ?

kettdevil1

That‘s not a question l can answer as I’ve not interviewed anyone for the role of GM at a hockey club, that being said does not mean there are not many hundreds of perfectly capable and qualified individuals on the job market.
Have you read Todd’s CV, did he go to University and gain a degree in Hockey Club Management, does that even exsist, is it a thing ?
So no names from the current EIHL crop? My call would be that I wouldn't swap him for anyone in the league but happy to hear names of people who are perceived to be better.

kettdevil1

Whilst on the subject of GMs - did Mr Black manage to shelve off the Clan? That was his intention I believe.
Not yet - there have been talks with potential owners but nothing agreed yet. Hopefully something will come about soon as this season has been an ongoing nightmare for Clan fans

pjj365

Doubt Todd would comment on this but he has a first degree and MBA.
Join LinkedIn to see his public references
But your second sentence is insulting and anyway irrelevant - particularly as you think there are 100s of capable people out there I'm guessing many of whom have hockey and nothing else of their CV