Panthers v Devils - 08/01 - 7:00pm - League - Chat/Updates

DevilDom

What a rollercoaster of a game!

Certainly not the best we have played and we defintely seemed to switch off in the 2nd, however I thought we played well in the 1st and Panthers were lucky to only be 2-1 down and showed fantastic grit and determination in the 3rd to come back and win. I also thought the Devils 3rd goal scored by Pelle with 6 seconds left of the 2nd period was critical as had we gone in 2 goals down I think it would have been difficult to come back from.

The travelling support was again absolutely fantastic and i'm sure we lifted the team when they were going through their poor patches. The coach going home was brilliant as well (cheers Bob!). Think i'll be a lot quieter tonight!

We can play better and we can definitely defend better but we won away at the NIC when we weren't at our best! This is a mark of the team and the coach in particular as we showed real desire and determination when the chips were down. Well done DEVILS!

ASHIPP

What a result - but what a rollercoaster ride to get there! Well done, Devils - this is amazing. :D NIC has always been their nemisis - that place and that talented team always extremely difficult to play.
Judging from some of the posts and match reports, this seems like an ugly win for the Devils. The sign of a winning team is to rise to the test, and figure out a way to beat the opposition even if the Devils seem not to be playing at their best. Patience, determination, hard graft and players who step up at key moments secures success. The Giants did exactly the same against Panthers on Friday - that's why these teams are topping the League right now. :cool:

PIMS:
Panthers 35
Devils 4

Think that statistic may reflect the level of discipline and organisation on the Panthers bench. Devils did very well to minimise aggressive penalties and technical penalties.

ASHIPP

Nott Simpson said:
Devils PIM was 41 minutes not 4
Nott - sincere apologies. I was taking these stats from Elite League website from much earlier this morning which did list the PIMS as 4 for the Devils (and I wasn''t around last night to follow MNL for the text commentary/stats) :? It's possibly been changed now but I haven't checked. :oops:

ASHIPP

Penner is returning to NA, on his request. Rumours are rife that MacDonald will be next.....and strong possibility Calder and Bergin to join the roster for the reminder of the season. This level of disruption to a team, at this stage in the season, surely is bound to have negative affect on performance and attitude.
The 'knee-jerk re-action' appears to be to release players and replace them quickly - will this be as effective as working hard with the current players and trying different systems/techniques?
How many times have players left and joined the Panthers already - how are they even able to bring stability and consistency to their lines and systems, let alone generate a team spirit and confidence? :?

TheStub

Stability wins championships. Simple as.

This Devils side have got stronger and stronger without any big changes. OK Weller, but this winning streak started before he joined...working together and building understanding is what made the big impact.

The revolving door in Nottingham shows a coach not in control, and the players must constantly be in fear of their jobs. It must hit morale seeing team mates chopped and changed.

Good point Ashipp, The reason being i think by replacing players willy nilly it deflects the attention off the inadequacy of their coach, which i am pretty sure the majority of the Panthers fan's would agree with.

Wannabe2

ASHIPP said:
Penner is returning to NA, on his request. Rumours are rife that MacDonald will be next.....and strong possibility Calder and Bergin to join the roster for the reminder of the season. This level of disruption to a team, at this stage in the season, surely is bound to have negative affect on performance and attitude.
The 'knee-jerk re-action' appears to be to release players and replace them quickly - will this be as effective as working hard with the current players and trying different systems/techniques?
How many times have players left and joined the Panthers already - how are they even able to bring stability and consistency to their lines and systems, let alone generate a team spirit and confidence? :?
Talk about trying to buy success, 76 different imports in one season, come on. ;)

Ger-Devils

Wannabe2 said:
ASHIPP said:
Talk about trying to buy success, 76 different imports in one season, come on. ;)
And the rest :lol:

I think they could have a turn around of as many imports as they like their coach just does'nt lead by example.

You compare the two coachs last night, G when we were down 2-4 just kept driving forward with his usaul gutsy style and for me was a contender for MOM.

Then you look at Corey totally indisiplined and uninspireing.

Wannabe2

buzzwagon said:
I think they could have a turn around of as many imports as they like their coach just does'nt lead by example.

You compare the two coachs last night, G when we were down 2-4 just kept driving forward with his usaul gutsy style and for me was a contender for MOM.

Then you look at Corey totally indisiplined and uninspireing.
Yea its not a pretty sight watching your coach turtling, it hardly fills you with inspiration. :lol: .

Nott Simpson said:
James what The Stub was trying to say was:

Mae'r ystadegau a'r ffurflen swyddogol y gem yn iawn.
Dyma syniad at y dyfodol. Pob lwc ;)

Anyway, back to English...
After debating whether or not to attend this away trip I eventually decided to give it a miss. Gutted. :cry:

Sounds like a real thriller of a game, and even though the devils weren't up to their best, they still believed they could win it even when they were down by 2 goals.
Fairplay to the panthers, they really got it together in that second period, and I believe they're the first team to score against us 5v5 in a while? and to their credit, they got 3 even handed goals. Maybe Finny could help me out with the stats?

The great thing about this team, is that even when the win seems out of the question, these guys still find a way. We've gone behind on numerous occasions yet never dropped our heads and always come back to score more, it's incredible and now, unlike last season, being on the wrong end of the scoreboard doesn't even worry me slightly because I know this team will sort it out.

I'm now as optimistic as Wannabe was before the season began, because at the moment, it seems like we're unstoppable, we are a class above, and although the devils site says thats our 18th straight victory... I've counted 19 :shock:
either way 23 wins out of 24 games... you think we would be walking this league!!
Also has it been confirmed anywhere yet if this is a world record??

A special mention has to go to Jon Pelle who has now hit the 35 goal mark for the season which considering how much of the season is left to play, is a brilliant achievement. (Say goodbye to your record Pirps) Priority signing for next season.

It's also been quite a while since I've seen Voth give coach corey a slap, shame I missed that. :twisted:

Apparently we had a rather large away following last night who were all very vocal and well behaved. It is nice when other teams fans are praising our fanbase, so keep up the good work guys :)

As a final note... We can now officially add Nottingham to the list of other teams who's fans are calling us champions. Some of them have even realised that their title ambitions are over and are giving us their support towards the title! :mrgreen:

In the words of Wannabe...
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS™

Wannabe2

scottydoesntknow said:
Nott Simpson said:
James what The Stub was trying to say was:

Mae'r ystadegau a'r ffurflen swyddogol y gem yn iawn.
Dyma syniad at y dyfodol. Pob lwc ;)

Anyway, back to English...
After debating whether or not to attend this away trip I eventually decided to give it a miss. Gutted. :cry:

Sounds like a real thriller of a game, and even though the devils weren't up to their best, they still believed they could win it even when they were down by 2 goals.
Fairplay to the panthers, they really got it together in that second period, and I believe they're the first team to score against us 5v5 in a while? and to their credit, they got 3 even handed goals. Maybe Finny could help me out with the stats?

The great thing about this team, is that even when the win seems out of the question, these guys still find a way. We've gone behind on numerous occasions yet never dropped our heads and always come back to score more, it's incredible and now, unlike last season, being on the wrong end of the scoreboard doesn't even worry me slightly because I know this team will sort it out.

I'm now as optimistic as Wannabe was before the season began, because at the moment, it seems like we're unstoppable, we are a class above, and although the devils site says thats our 18th straight victory... I've counted 19 :shock:
either way 23 wins out of 24 games... you think we would be walking this league!!
Also has it been confirmed anywhere yet if this is a world record??

A special mention has to go to Jon Pelle who has now hit the 35 goal mark for the season which considering how much of the season is left to play, is a brilliant achievement. (Say goodbye to your record Pirps) Priority signing for next season.

It's also been quite a while since I've seen Voth give coach corey a slap, shame I missed that. :twisted:

Apparently we had a rather large away following last night who were all very vocal and well behaved. It is nice when other teams fans are praising our fanbase, so keep up the good work guys :)

As a final note... We can now officially add Nottingham to the list of other teams who's fans are calling us champions. Some of them have even realised that their title ambitions are over and are giving us their support towards the title! :mrgreen:

In the words of Wannabe...
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS™
Happy hockey Days indeed my friend,this team is so good, its close to walking on water. As you know i never had a doubt we wuold be where we are, although i would never have forecasted a world record, there again maybe i would have. :lol:

Although a great result and an exciting game, if i was super critical I'd have to say we weren't at our normal high standard of play.

Comments from the game:

Our passing from the D was at times terrible, we gave away too many turnovers, Wellar probably had his worse game, the mom was a mickey take by Nottingham as G, Hill and Voth were all contenders.

Penner running Lyle at 4:40 should have had more than 2+2

Penner sly slash on Voth as Penner returned to the bench showed how much of a prat he is. bye bye X-man

It looked like the Dutch ref was going to let the game flow but all of a sudden he started to call everything, not sure why Tylor got 2+2 for instigating, he was sucker punched by Ryan who only got 2

For me the turning point was Pelle's goal to make it 4-3 with 5 secs of the 2nd period left. To go into the break 2 goals down after 4 unanswered goals was an edge to the Panthers, the goal kept us in the game and we went into the break with a more positive edge

But all that aside, winning ugly is a sign of a team wanting the win and grinding out the result.
For me Finnerty lis the best leader this club has had, he always leads by example

The 2 x "Too many players on the ice calls" in the last 2 minutes was funny, Strach's must take the blame for that.

Talking to the panther fans after the game they are not happy with Cory and the constant turn-around of players and the money spent on them, one said "you had 4 less dressed players, and less a buget per player than us and you were by far the best TEAM, where as we have individuals",
I think that comment summs up our season.

Koop11

One of the most exciting games I’ve seen in years. It was so up and down but the illation of winning with a SH goal in the last 2 mins was incredible. Not the greatest display of defensive hockey from either team but if you want open, end to end hockey then is was a cracker of a game. Nail biting.

In spells we were good but for 30 mins we really were bad. The 2nd period was the worst I’ve seen us play for a long time. We took some silly retaliation penalties which was disappointing as we have been very disciplined of late. We have however that never say die attitude which is what has helped the team win, win and win. Its good that we can play bad and yet pick up results, especially on the road.

I was buzzing leaving the game last night. Well worth the journey. Great game.