New Arena

Finny

chillee said:
Read the link on first page, it's viability being assessed.
What kind of response is that?

Your comments regarding Ice Arena Wales have been full of misplaced self-confidence and several times other posters have to pick you up on obvious inaccuracies and mistakes.

IAW is not being built by the Devils, it is being built by a private company who have to make a profit. What crowds the Devils will get and any extra revenue it brings in for them is just a small part of their whole business plan.

Suggesting a bigger arena is pretty irrelevant as the footprint it needs to fit in wouldn't be big enough. They have already had to move the bus stop, pavement and lampposts to fit in what we are getting.

To be honest I'm getting fed up of your critical and nonsense postings regarding the Arena and Sports Village as a whole which are completely lacking any facts or acceptance of what is possible in the real world. Just because you say "We should have a 10,000 arena" doesn't mean you are correct.

mazza03

Finny said:
chillee said:
Read the link on first page, it's viability being assessed.
What kind of response is that?

Your comments regarding Ice Arena Wales have been full of misplaced self-confidence and several times other posters have to pick you up on obvious inaccuracies and mistakes.

IAW is not being built by the Devils, it is being built by a private company who have to make a profit. What crowds the Devils will get and any extra revenue it brings in for them is just a small part of their whole business plan.

Suggesting a bigger arena is pretty irrelevant as the footprint it needs to fit in wouldn't be big enough. They have already had to move the bus stop, pavement and lampposts to fit in what we are getting.

To be honest I'm getting fed up of your critical and nonsense postings regarding the Arena and Sports Village as a whole which are completely lacking any facts or acceptance of what is possible in the real world. Just because you say "We should have a 10,000 arena" doesn't mean you are correct.
Well said Finny :RAWK

If you bothered to understand my comments they mostly related to the pre planning stage behind closed doors. I'm well aware the Devils are not building it and who the investors are. If the rink was a cash cow it would have been built yrs ago. The fact you state I'm wrong does not make me wrong I'm afraid. I'm simply sharing a view shared by others. Time will tell what will happen, but a 3,100 seat ice arena is still the smallest in the UK and to compete for business, ice comp etc etc having the smallest means either you increase ticket prices or attract minor competitions which bring smaller revenue streams. If Cardiff gets an 12,000 seat arena, add the other arena, options for say Boxing, basket ball or concerts leaves IAW behind. Now had the ice rink been part of an multi use arena complex, such as other arenas around the world that compete and win contracts for national and major competitions the chances long term would be more attractive. Time will tell.

And just to add this is not a competition, there is no right or wrong. This is also a minor sports club with a limited, extremely limited source of income. This makes it extremely unattractive to serious investors and national businesses. I maybe irritating to an equally small portion of this site, but mocking and insulting a person who wants the sport as a business to succeed is narrow minded, but hey that's how we got the current development and is why l believe it flawed. Like l stated the council needed to dump anything to get the David's development built, for all SORAC hard work the council never could see a future in Hockey or skating and where only ever going to give the bear minimum.

Ocko

What investors or national investors would we want to be involved anyway? This is an ice facility not a multi purpose arena. You're preaching to the wrong crowd about it's purpose. As I've already said, if there is never to be a concert or non ice event taking place in IAW then I'm sure every rec player, junior, figure skater will be more than happy. If it means the arena loses out on revenue, contact the Greenbank because it has no effect on the Devils or anyone on this forum as it isn't our rink, we are just tenants. We don't care if it isn't big enough for boxing or music!

As Mooney has just said, Ice Sheffield only holds 1500 and is a fantastic facility that is in constant use. No one ever grumbles about it's purpose.

So if Greenback decided an ice rink was no longer viable and reconfigured the venue Cardiff Devils would play?
I'm aware what it is, that's why I'm critical. As for Ice Sheffield it's part of a complex, therefore it can afford to run at the size it is.

Ocko

chillee said:
So if Greenback decided an ice rink was no longer viable and reconfigured the venue Cardiff Devils would play?
I'm aware what it is, that's why I'm critical. As for Ice Sheffield it's part of a complex, therefore it can afford to run at the size it is.
How are they going to reconfigure a 2 pad ice rink with the structure already in place?

Have you been to ice Sheffield? It is almost identical to what our rink will be only smaller. There is no 'complex' that you talk of.

And from the brochure
When completed, Ice Arena Wales will be operated by a company established by Greenbank for the purpose
And as previously stated when the new consortium took over, Greenbank / Ice Arena Wales (I cannot remember precisely which) also own a stake in the devils.

So what you are saying is that if the people who also own a stake in the club the rink is being built for decide not to build the rink? There's an interesting idea... actually no interesting isn't the word I mean there is it..ridiculous that's the word I'm looking for.

And as far as your other idea why stop at building a 12,000 seater in town - after all how shortsighted would that be, let's build a Madison Square Garden sized rink because a 45,000 capacity venue is what's lacking in town too. I mean if you are planning on having up to 45,000 children why look at renting a studio flat?

But then again there is already the 9,000 capacity motorpoint and that's not doing a bad job at hosting things..or at least it's seemed that way whenever I go there.

Ocko

Cardiff does need a 10k plus capacity arena, as the CIA isn't good enough. The council have noticed that and planned accordingly, I would be amazed if it doesn't happen either. Clearly it won't be built as our home as it's purpose but the CIA is nothing on Leeds, Sheffield, Notts, Liverpool etc.

Finny

chillee said:
If you bothered to understand my comments ...l.
It's not a case about not bothering. I have to read most of your posts several times before I can try and work out what you are suggesting.

Your post about IceSheffield is another example of this. You state something to back up your opinion without any thought as to whether it's factually correct.

It would be like me telling Todd Kelman he has lacked the foresight to build a 15,000 seat arena in the middle of the City centre and charge £5 a ticket. If we sell out every game in IAW then I've been proved right - it wasn't big enough. If we don't sell out every game I've also be proved right as it should have been built next to the Millennium Stadium and with cheaper tickets.

Ice Sheffield is owned and run by the same peeps who run the main rink around the corner. It's not physically touching but is part of the complex it's built on. Let's agree to disagree. Like l stated time will tell. As for the Cardiff motorpoint if when Cardiff goes ahead it's planned to close that arena.

Ocko

No chillee you're wrong. The 'main rink' in Sheffield as you call it is run by live nation, Ice Sheffield is not. Both are owned by a trust not any 'peeps' therefore it doesn't have to be profit driven, it was built for the people of Sheffield. It's not built on the same complex, there is no complex! Unless you want to consider the City of Sheffield one big complex.

The rink will happen. Greenbank have chosen the design and that's what they'll have to make viable. The Devils or any other investors will not be what makes it financially viable it is the houses, flats and other businesses (bars and restaurants) that will end up down there and longer term users of the rink. Even if there was a 10,000 seat arena run by Greenbank they wouldn't reap any benefits as the Devils have free ice time. No one else is going to get big crowds in there so it wouldn't make any difference having a bigger capacity from Greenbanks point of view.

Sheffield International Venues is the operational arm of Sheffield City Trust, who own the Motorpoint Arena, live Nation are the operators of the Arena. IAW corporate brochure reads as a multi function arena, ice Sheffield does not, it operates the same as IAW smaller public pad, for sole ice use, the main pad of IAW is for events on par to Motorpoint only much smaller capacity. That is why it will be the smallest Arena, not ice rink, you need to understand the difference, amongst other details I've repeated. The other investors are the businesses you failed to grasp one feeds the other.

I sure every one would like to have 12,000 hockey fans though the door but there is no point having anything larger than 3 to 5, 000 as it won't be filed and better to build up to it

Ocko

chillee said:
Sheffield International Venues is the operational arm of Sheffield City Trust, who own the Motorpoint Arena, live Nation are the operators of the Arena. IAW corporate brochure reads as a multi function arena, ice Sheffield does not, it operates the same as IAW smaller public pad, for sole ice use, the main pad of IAW is for events on par to Motorpoint only much smaller capacity. That is why it will be the smallest Arena, not ice rink, you need to understand the difference, amongst other details I've repeated. The other investors are the businesses you failed to grasp one feeds the other.
Ice Sheffield is run like our smaller second pad will be? Oh crap, someone tell Ice Sheffield Management that events are being run without them knowing in their facility!

http://www.coldwellboxing.com/events/blaze-of-glory/

Wannabe2

chillee said:
Who said it's for 12,000 hockey fans. Manchester v Sheffield managed 17,000 + at the time a European record.
And 5 mins later they were extinct, so nice point made. God your like a non stop record but more boring. We are fine with what we have dude, best owners in the league, best fans in the league, a club we would all die for,and a nice new home ice rental free, and great sight lines. So thanks for your concerns, and your negatives comments, but guess what we couldn't give a r--s a--e about anyone of them.