My Bumper Cardiff Devils debate thread for boys (and girls)

Sliput

Re: My Bumper Cardiff Devils debate thread for boys (and gir

Finny said:
Sliput said:
Paul Sullivan said:
Bump.

Seems, as other topics that result in a debate that wanders are locked, it's worth resurrecting this one.

At one point some mods were moving posts to this topic but now it seems it's padlocks at dawn instead depending on your viewpoint / involvement / vested interest / friendship. (oh sorry, is it only critics of the 'outside' fans that are allowed to say such things?)

So - about that Conboy / Blight / Trolling debate? Hmmmm?
I for one am glad that threads are getting locked. Posters such as yourself are hijacking threads to peddle out the same old stuff even when it has nothing to do with the subject of the thread. Yes , there are problems at the club but every now and again its nice to read something unrelated to that.
Fairly sure that Paul is big enough and ugly enough to reply for himself, but it should be pointed out that in the Blight thread it was taken off-topic by other posters.
I don't remember saying he did.

The thing is Finny, we all love the club and we all want what's best for it. At the moment, quite clearly that is not happening, and I fully get that people are unhappy BUT there are threads for it , and then there are threads for other stuff as well.

I am also big enough and ugly enough to understand the unrest at the moment but I feel fed up by it all and it has nothing to do with the running of the club, its the fans and the constant negativity that surrounds it all. I get to the point where I click into threads and after a few posts click out as it descends into the same stuff. I know I don't HAVE to read them but I am also a fan on here and want to read about the club now and again.

Ah well, I await the usual :cry:

Finny

I know what you mean.

Similarly, I get a bit annoyed when reading fairly decent 'discussions' between two people on opposite sides of the fence only for someone to start saying "you're boring me now".

The Mods have a tough job to do but I think so far they have done a really good job of staying impartial and locking/moving threads when needed.

Sliput

Finny said:
I know what you mean.

Similarly, I get a bit annoyed when reading fairly decent 'discussions' between two people on opposite sides of the fence only for someone to start saying "you're boring me now".

The Mods have a tough job to do but I think so far they have done a really good job of staying impartial and locking/moving threads when needed.
I agree totally but its when it goes off topic with the doom and gloom that it becomes waring.
There are plenty of threads where the subject is about our problems, there is no need to take over the ones that arent. Courtesy costs nothing.

Finny said:
I know what you mean.

There is an alternative to posting negativity, just sit back and wait for the proverbial shit to hit the proverbial fan and then come on here and say 'I told you so'

People are passionate about this club and as Finny says better to have people air their disillusion than simply walk away from this club. It is passionate fans that have got this club through the dark times in that season, through the WNIR closing, through ownership changes, liquidations bad seasons and good and that passion has played a large part in securing the new arena. Without the Passion and positivity the new arena may never have happened. Obviously something is going on or has happened to change the opinions/views of these previously positive people.

Some of the negative posters have played a huge part in that over the years but are now being slated for having an opinion, To be honest I find blind positivity quite boring. Nothing will ever be perfect and suit everybody's individual opinions but I defend their right to have a personal opinion

Everyone is quick to promote the myth that we wouldn't have hockey without Ragan, but and this is a Fact we wouldn't have had anywhere to play during the last 8 years or in the near future without these people and Ragan would never have owned a team or two in the EIHL. They are people who care about the club and its future, although this is seen as an agenda by most people. My personal 'agenda' if you want to call it that is to see the club run in a proper and honourable manner going in to the new arena that all of these passionate people have campaigned and worked so hard for, and for the club ownership/management to be deserving of the efforts of everyone who has played a part.

As for the European v North American debate it is academic, the club may have a damaged reputation in NA so have no choice so I dont necessarily believe its a hockey decision, there is of course the possibility that it is a financial decision based on the revenues of this season. However Ragan is a businessman, he should look after his revenue streams, the fans and sponsors and look to increase them by looking after his sponsors and fans who may encourage more on board, by building a reputation and then expanding based on that reputation. As time goes on there is less chance of the reputation of the business improving prior to going in to that new arena and the first step in enhancing a reputation is the acceptance that things are not right followed by working to improve them

I genuinely hope for all fans of this club that things will improve but one thing is for sure they won't whilst everyone just moves forward without a care for the reputation of this club

mazza03

jodysstillagirlsname said:
Finny said:
I know what you mean.

There is an alternative to posting negativity, just sit back and wait for the proverbial shit to hit the proverbial fan and then come on here and say 'I told you so'

People are passionate about this club and as Finny says better to have people air their disillusion than simply walk away from this club. It is passionate fans that have got this club through the dark times in that season, through the WNIR closing, through ownership changes, liquidations bad seasons and good and that passion has played a large part in securing the new arena. Without the Passion and positivity the new arena may never have happened. Obviously something is going on or has happened to change the opinions/views of these previously positive people.

Some of the negative posters have played a huge part in that over the years but are now being slated for having an opinion, To be honest I find blind positivity quite boring. Nothing will ever be perfect and suit everybody's individual opinions but I defend their right to have a personal opinion

Everyone is quick to promote the myth that we wouldn't have hockey without Ragan, but and this is a Fact we wouldn't have had anywhere to play during the last 8 years or in the near future without these people and Ragan would never have owned a team or two in the EIHL. They are people who care about the club and its future, although this is seen as an agenda by most people. My personal 'agenda' if you want to call it that is to see the club run in a proper and honourable manner going in to the new arena that all of these passionate people have campaigned and worked so hard for, and for the club ownership/management to be deserving of the efforts of everyone who has played a part.

As for the European v North American debate it is academic, the club may have a damaged reputation in NA so have no choice so I dont necessarily believe its a hockey decision, there is of course the possibility that it is a financial decision based on the revenues of this season. However Ragan is a businessman, he should look after his revenue streams, the fans and sponsors and look to increase them by looking after his sponsors and fans who may encourage more on board, by building a reputation and then expanding based on that reputation. As time goes on there is less chance of the reputation of the business improving prior to going in to that new arena and the first step in enhancing a reputation is the acceptance that things are not right followed by working to improve them

I genuinely hope for all fans of this club that things will improve but one thing is for sure they won't whilst everyone just moves forward without a care for the reputation of this club
Good post Jody

Sliput

Finny said:
I know what you mean.

Read my post again !

I am not saying lets blindly ignore what is going on or that people should not voice their opinion, what I am saying us that does it really need to take over every thread that is started ? The simple answer is no.

I know what your saying Sliput, but it shows that the off ice is linked to the on ice no matter how hard we try to separate it, if it wasn't some of the hockey threads wouldn't leave an opening to relate to on ice stuff. For example the Blight thread was all related to the off ice decision rather than the playing ability of Chris and I am sure some of the uncertainty of players have affected their performances in a negative way, not everyone responds to play well or get sacked, that is a management technique from the dark ages and used by poor lazy management, it is not always the right way to get the best out of some people and in most cases has the opposite effect.

Anyway I will try and post in this thread, that may prove difficult when I see a thread like. " Club management Get rid of Whis to pave way for Pope's return" or possibly " Whis signed for next season" to sell season tickets and then dumped before season because fans haven't bought enough tickets, blame the militia

Be nice to have a crystal ball as there are so many scenarios possible

Gazza272

. For example the Blight thread was all related to the off ice decision rather than the playing ability of Chris and I am sure some of the uncertainty of players have affected their performances in a negative way, not everyone responds to play well or get sacked, that is a management technique from the dark ages and used by poor lazy management, it is not always the right way to get the best out of some people and in most cases has the opposite effect.
e

I'm very confused about this point.

Surely the whole basis of being a professional ice hockey player is that you need to play well or get sacked.

Otherwise we would have been stuck with Rod Hinks for 10 years.

If the players have genuinely been upset that they have been told to play well or be replaced they have either forgotten every second of their minor league days or they are seriously not cut out to be a hockey player.

No other league in the world would think twice about telling players to shape up or ship out. Why should the EIHL and our club be any different?

Slartibartfast

Ah theres nothing like a good loss to bring the militia back into voice. I was missing the bumper thread. Pleased to see it back. The inferno was getting boring

Everyone has off days Gazza as I am sure you do in your job, but people skills don't end with Do it or else. It is the coaches job to get the best out of the players some respond to the stick and some the carrot, the trick as a manager/coach is to understand that and work out what works best for a certain character. Different methods work for different characters. We are all different otherwise forums wouldn't work, we would all have the same opinion and it would be a waste of time

Gazza272 said:
. For example the Blight thread was all related to the off ice decision rather than the playing ability of Chris and I am sure some of the uncertainty of players have affected their performances in a negative way, not everyone responds to play well or get sacked, that is a management technique from the dark ages and used by poor lazy management, it is not always the right way to get the best out of some people and in most cases has the opposite effect.
e

No other league in the world would think twice about telling players to shape up or ship out. Why should the EIHL and our club be any different?
I hope you feel the same when Pope has outlived his usefulness to the club Gazza

Gazza272

Everyone has off days Gazza as I am sure you do in your job, but people skills don't end with Do it or else. It is the coaches job to get the best out of the players some respond to the stick and some the carrot, the trick as a manager/coach is to understand that and work out what works best for a certain character. Different methods work for different characters. We are all different otherwise forums wouldn't work, we would all have the same opinion and it would be a waste of time

Oh I definitely agree with the fact you need to cater to each of your players little traits. But I still think the underlying point remains, you do what the coach wants/needs you to do or he has a prerogative to find someone who will.

That's the tough edge of sport.

Gazza272

I hope you feel the same when Pope has outlived his usefulness to the club Gazza

I would have no reason not to.

If Pope isn't delivering what his bosses want he is as much up against the can as any player/employee.

Again it's the tough nature. One which if Pope is willing to dish out will have to take if targets are not being met.

Slartibartfast said:
Ah theres nothing like a good loss to bring the militia back into voice. I was missing the bumper thread. Pleased to see it back. The inferno was getting boring
This is the non hockey thread now so the loss has no relevance. It is the on the fencers who are quiet during winning streaks not the Militia, and they will probably be the same in the off season waiting patiently for signing news

Gazza272 said:

I would have no reason not to.

If Pope isn't delivering what his bosses want he is as much up against the can as any player/employee.

Again it's the tough nature. One which if Pope is willing to dish out will have to take if targets are not being met.
Ok We are getting somewhere, who is the General Manager above Pope? Yes Pope and the person above him knows **** all about hockey and even less about man management

Gazza272

Ok We are getting somewhere, who is the General Manager above Pope? Yes Pope and the person above him knows **** all about hockey and even less about man management

:lol:

Don't think your somehow tricking me into agreeing with you.

Pope's coaching job isn't given to him by himself. Ragan will have ultimate say over that. Ragan is obviously results driven so if Brent isn't hitting those he will be relieved of that I have no doubt.

Didn't think that for 1 minute, I think there is no way Ragan will get rid of Pope whatever the results, he may get rid as coach but he will not remove him from the club. The question is Why?

I don't know and don't think I would like the (true) answer

drainage

Didn't think that for 1 minute, I think there is no way Ragan will get rid of Pope whatever the results, he may get rid as coach but he will not remove him from the club. The question is Why?

And according to the general view Brent not coach equals harmony so surely that's what people, want??

Personally I am worried for this club and not purely down to how it's managed .... I think there are others who should have a long hard look too

drainage

drainage said:

And according to the general view Brent not coach equals harmony so surely that's what people,want??

Personally I am worried for this club and not purely down to how it's managed .... I think there are others who should have a long hard look at their actions too as my late Mum often said two wrongs do not make a right

Paul Sullivan

drainage said:
I think there are others who should have a long hard look at their actions too
Who else do you believe is responsible for the running or current situation of our Club?