Keep or Can

RedDevil17

Everyone loves Brandt because he gives you everything he has, he plays for the shirt, has the heart of a lion, and cares. What’s not to like, a devil thru and thru.
The man is a true Cardiff devil. Wish more of our players would show as much passion and high level of effort. Puts most others in the team to shame. The fact he’s on the fourth line over some guys who play half arsed is criminal

E.D.S.

Crawford goes for me. Defense wins you titles. He's proven he can't do that. It's easier to say who I'd keep.

Brandt, Brits but not Batch, Sanford, Cox, New guy, Martin, Lou - possibly Penny and Martin if the lines were right. Penny third line, Martin Second.

Crawford goes for me. Defense wins you titles. He's proven he can't do that. It's easier to say who I'd keep.

Defence does win you titles but you need a high scoring defenceman to win you games ( Hotham Fournier ) at 25 years of age this guy should become the highest scoring Devils defenceman in a season
A definite keep for next year and years to come but with his talent and the lack of chemistry of lines 2 and 3 he might look elsewhere

Last edited:

Wannabe2

I would make 11 changes, 9 on ice 2 off ice, it probably won’t happen as to some it might be too much., but after this seasons jamboree to me it makes perfect sense. Unless of course your happy to settle for another mediocre season.

Long time reader, don't post much but thought would juck my 2 pence worth. Maybe shows how frustrating this year's team have been blowing hot and cold.

Louis ✔️ (Players this big who can skate, play solid and toughest in league are hard to find)
Davies ✔️(Gives 100% every shift. Excellent pk)
Brittain ️❌️ (Too inconsistant, allergic to standing in front of net, But may have back for him PK if cheapish)
Crawford ✔️(Top minutes and points guy. The workhorse)
Duggan ✔️ (Finishes hits and part of a 4th line i would keep)
Richardson ✔️ (If he wants to keep playing, rarely makes mistakes)
Jardine ❌️ (For the star D signing he has been a little disappointing, solid but not standout, unlucky with collision with Brittain)
Reid ️❌️ (Too slow now and hit Ovi shot from the hash marks has been worked out by other teams)
Crandall ️✔️ (Does work hard. On the fence but as a 2nd or 3rd liner may be worth keeping)
Pietroniro ❌️ (Done nothing wrong but a casualty of the D needing a revamp)
Brandt ✔️ (Hits get the team and fans going, keep as a cheap import to keep the 4th line)
Kozun ✔️ (As a backup, maybe give him the CC games)
Bowns ❌️(rebound control is awful, over commits so often out of position, many poor goals conceeded, Bring in a stud goalie of Carruths Calibre as No1 to play 90% of games)
Batch ️✔️ (Solid Brit D man. Wish he'd bring his younger days hits and fight back but been loyal and showed last yr his true potential)
Thompson ❌️ (Casualty of D needing a revamp, wouldnt be disappointed if did return)
Cox ✔️ (Great hockey IQ, wish he'd shot more sometimes though)
Coughler ❌️ (Unfortunate with injuries and not clicking on his line. Maybe try putting him back with cox and Sandford for playoffs and see if martin can get line 2 going)
Martin ✔️ (Goat.. enough said)
Penny ️❌️ (disappointing and only starting throwing hits and playing hard when the owners are over here)
Waller ✔️(Amazing talent, he may head to North America or Europe with his skating ability if has ambition to make to higher leagues but would be great to have back)
Sanford ✔️(snipper and you can't break Cox and Sandford up.. lol)

DuPont ✔️(worth giving another season, get nowhere changing coach every season)
Horn ❌ (Part of his remit is the power play, and that's been awful. Under Lord we had one of the best pp. If need a cheapish assistance coach maybe Dixon, if we have some funds an experiance special teams coach)

ASHIPP

Cheapish assistant coach, Dixon? Thats a backward step for him. Stephen would be wanting the Head Coach role after his experiences at the Clan.

Add to that all his experience and contacts in the sport. He was an excellent player for the Devils, knows the organisation well, a winner, and knows what is required to play for the Devils.
It's a glaringly obvious he's a great option.

Last edited:
Louis - excellent servant for the Devils, deserves the opportunity to play more minutes at another team - unlikely to displace any of the top 4 Defencemen
Davies ✔️ Brit, tenacious, fit as a butcher’s dog, very useful on PK
Brittain - not done enough for me to be honest. Large frame, that really should take root in front of all opposition goalies, that he hasn’t done that by himself, suggests he lacks the required level of hockey IQ to be in a side aiming for titles and trophies
Crawford ✔️ Impressed with his points tally, yes some criticise his defence, but 2022/2023 hasn’t been a vintage year in that regard.
Duggan ✔️ Brit with good hockey IQ, fit and still only 24 (not 25 till July)
Richardson ✔️ Mr Devils, rarely if ever takes a night off, consummate professional
Jardine - not the player that previously played for us imho and for me makes way too many mistakes for someone with as much ECHL experience as Jardine has.
Reid - last season he had a great season with good points production by occupying and shooting from Ovi’s office. The other EIHL teams worked Reid out in the early part of the season, and he hasn’t found another way to use his distinct skill set since. Also makes my blood boil, by gliding int9 the bench at the end of his shifts irrespective of what is happening in the game.
Crandall ✔️ poorer second year Devil, who in the early part of the season quarterbacked the PP. Not entirely sure why he‘s been relinquished, but the PP hasn’t been working for quite a while - perhaps the two are linked
Pietroniro ✔️ very impressed with this late addition. A forward that has played majority of games covering in defence. Likely to be a crowd pleaser, especially after showing he’s not afraid to drop the mits to get the arena mood uplifted
Brandt ✔️ Hits like a train, crowd favourite already, likely to be retained for several years to come
Kozun - has shown he’s a capable netminder, but probably deserves a starting position with another Elite Team
Bowns ✔️ - British Goalie, who on his day is more than capable of winning games. Being a Brit enables another import elsewhere in the line up - for me, I would love to see Brythyn Preece come in as competition to keep Bowns on his toes
Batch ✔️Anot her Brit that has both forward and defence qualities. Not sure of the reason why he (along with others) have not been ready to step in to protect key Devils players - possibly a reason behind some of the less impressive performances this season
Thompson - not for me sorry - defensive lapses have been found out too often and of late he has tried adopting more of an offensive game, but then doesn’t get back sufficiently quickly and the Devils facing anoth3 odd man rush against
Cox ✔️ Along with Sanford and Martin, the first names I would look to sign for next year
Coughler ✔️Gritty a style that I have always liked, not sure if the concussion he had earlier this season may be a costly price to carry next season.
Martin ✔️ people with greater ice hockey knowledge and experience than me have named him the GOAT, still has a mercurial ice hockey brain and doesn’t take nights off
Penny too selective as to which games he turns up to perform. When he’s on his game he is a useful forward, but too hit and miss for a team aspiring to challenge for titles
Waller ✔️after the first line forwards, this guy would be my next signing. Speed in absolute bucketloads, great hockey IQ and another Brit as well
Sanford ✔️ the pints machine - a must re-sign.
DuPont ❌ Rookie coach, but lack of tactical nouse has been his shortcoming too often This season. You can’t coach a team to success if your plan B is “see plan A”
Horn ❌ Not sure what he brings to the table. The only time I saw Horn proactive on the bench (calling for a time out, as the Devils players were absolutely knackered), he was immediately overruled by BD, and within 15 seconds the Devils conceded again.

august04 2.0

Long time reader, don't post much but thought would juck my 2 pence worth. Maybe shows how frustrating this year's team have been blowing hot and cold.

Louis ✔️ (Players this big who can skate, play solid and toughest in league are hard to find)
Davies ✔️(Gives 100% every shift. Excellent pk)
Brittain ️❌️ (Too inconsistant, allergic to standing in front of net, But may have back for him PK if cheapish)
Crawford ✔️(Top minutes and points guy. The workhorse)
Duggan ✔️ (Finishes hits and part of a 4th line i would keep)
Richardson ✔️ (If he wants to keep playing, rarely makes mistakes)
Jardine ❌️ (For the star D signing he has been a little disappointing, solid but not standout, unlucky with collision with Brittain)
Reid ️❌️ (Too slow now and hit Ovi shot from the hash marks has been worked out by other teams)
Crandall ️✔️ (Does work hard. On the fence but as a 2nd or 3rd liner may be worth keeping)
Pietroniro ❌️ (Done nothing wrong but a casualty of the D needing a revamp)
Brandt ✔️ (Hits get the team and fans going, keep as a cheap import to keep the 4th line)
Kozun ✔️ (As a backup, maybe give him the CC games)
Bowns ❌️(rebound control is awful, over commits so often out of position, many poor goals conceeded, Bring in a stud goalie of Carruths Calibre as No1 to play 90% of games)
Batch ️✔️ (Solid Brit D man. Wish he'd bring his younger days hits and fight back but been loyal and showed last yr his true potential)
Thompson ❌️ (Casualty of D needing a revamp, wouldnt be disappointed if did return)
Cox ✔️ (Great hockey IQ, wish he'd shot more sometimes though)
Coughler ❌️ (Unfortunate with injuries and not clicking on his line. Maybe try putting him back with cox and Sandford for playoffs and see if martin can get line 2 going)
Martin ✔️ (Goat.. enough said)
Penny ️❌️ (disappointing and only starting throwing hits and playing hard when the owners are over here)
Waller ✔️(Amazing talent, he may head to North America or Europe with his skating ability if has ambition to make to higher leagues but would be great to have back)
Sanford ✔️(snipper and you can't break Cox and Sandford up.. lol)

DuPont ✔️(worth giving another season, get nowhere changing coach every season)
Horn ❌ (Part of his remit is the power play, and that's been awful. Under Lord we had one of the best pp. If need a cheapish assistance coach maybe Dixon, if we have some funds an experiance special teams coach)
Stephen Dixon, cheapish?! He’s got a hockey pedigree most can only dream of in the U.K. game, and no doubt contacts all over the world from playing in some of the best leagues out there. You’re not going to get him cheap. I’d love to see him back with our organisation though.

The_Stick_

I just don’t get this fanbase sometimes. To remedy the mistake of bringing in a rookie head coach this season, we will bring in another rookie Head Coach (who has been playing second fiddle to Stevenson in the coaching pecking order in Glasgow) simply because he cares about the club. Many people care about the club, the majority of this forum do, but that doesn’t mean we should be given the reigns of the team. If we are replacing DuPont, we need to bring in a coach who has previous success. Who that is I don’t know, but a rookie head coach, whose own fans think he is a waste of money, is not the coach we need, even though he is a Devils Legend

BostonBart22

After watching Tallberg of the blaze 5 times this season I would grab him while we can b4 he gets nabbed by other teams , great all round player and never stops when on the ice .

jenks33

I just don’t get this fanbase sometimes. To remedy the mistake of bringing in a rookie head coach this season, we will bring in another rookie Head Coach (who has been playing second fiddle to Stevenson in the coaching pecking order in Glasgow) simply because he cares about the club. Many people care about the club, the majority of this forum do, but that doesn’t mean we should be given the reigns of the team. If we are replacing DuPont, we need to bring in a coach who has previous success. Who that is I don’t know, but a rookie head coach, whose own fans think he is a waste of money, is not the coach we need, even though he is a Devils Legend
I tend to agree with you. I get why some/many fans want Dupont gone but replacing him with Dixon/Stevenson? Don’t really get that.

The_Stick_

I tend to agree with you. I get why some/many fans want Dupont gone but replacing him with Dixon/Stevenson? Don’t really get that.
Dixon is definitely up there as one of my favourites to put on the shirt, and if we were to give him an assistant coach role next season I would be more than happy, but we can’t rinse and repeat the same formula that failed pretty miserably this season

jenks33

I’d settle for Keefe.
Dan Ceman is the dream (realistic) appointment. Very well respected and good mates with Kelman. I think he will be Devils coach one day but not yet. His team are top of the Slovakian league at the moment and he’s got a good reputation around Europe. I’m sure he feels he can do better than the EIHL for the foreseeable future.