Keep or Can

The_Stick_

Dixon ain’t a devils legend jesus far from it,
In the new era, he most certainly is. For those of us who have been going for a much shorter period of time than you Wannabe (my first being 14/15) my perception of a Devils Legend will be completely different to yours and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that!

CaldicotDevil

Dan Ceman is the dream (realistic) appointment. Very well respected and good mates with Kelman. I think he will be Devils coach one day but not yet. His team are top of the Slovakian league at the moment and he’s got a good reputation around Europe. I’m sure he feels he can do better than the EIHL for the foreseeable future.
Ceman would be one hell of a catch but would be a backwards move for him.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Chris Culligan, he’s only 34 and has been assistant coach in the Q for a 5 years. He may want to step up. Could get him in and use his contacts to build a young hungry NA style team.

E.D.S.

There's something about their Grandslam that'll be tainted for me. Credit to them, their business in the trade market is second to none but it just doesn't feel right to see a number of exceptional players being brought in at a very crucial time, with seemingly little regard for the cap. The finances just don't seem to stack up for me. This isn't a moan. Giants' roster is head and shoulders above everyone combined with exceptional coaching which makes them very well organised and difficult to beat.

kingmo19.1

There's something about their Grandslam that'll be tainted for me. Credit to them, their business in the trade market is second to none but it just doesn't feel right to see a number of exceptional players being brought in at a very crucial time, with seemingly little regard for the cap. The finances just don't seem to stack up for me. This isn't a moan. Giants' roster is head and shoulders above everyone combined with exceptional coaching which makes them very well organised and difficult to beat.
We do seem to be inching towards the days of the Superleague in stealth form with regards to the “wage cap”.

It makes a bit of a mockery of the sport, especially if you are a fan of one of the smaller budget teams.

It’s evident that the EIHL board can’t police the finances so maybe an easier way would be reduce the import level by 2 per team and up the Brit count by the same number.

It won’t be a perfect solution but will certainly reduce anyone capacity to top-load a squad with expensive imports and may also help GB’s cause in providing a better production line of home grown talent.

We’ve got so many ageing Brits that I fear somewhat for GB’s future! Myers, Jon Phillips, Richardson, Dave Phillips, Batch, Bowns, Dowd, Ben O’Connor, Mosey, Lackowicz, Ben Davies - all in their 30’s with some nearing 40 !

Last edited:

The_Stick_

We do seem to be inching towards the days of the Superleague in stealth form with regards to the “wage cap”.

It makes a bit of a mockery of the sport, especially if you are a fan of one of the smaller budget teams.

It’s evident that the EIHL board can’t police the finances so maybe an easier way would be reduce the import level by 2 per team and up the Brit count by the same number.

It won’t be a perfect solution but will certainly reduce anyone capacity to top-load a squad with expensive imports and may also help GB’s cause in providing a better production line of home grown talent.

We’ve got so many ageing Brits that I fear somewhat for GB’s future! Myers, Jon Phillips, Richardson, Dave Phillips, Batch, Bowns, Dowd, Ben O’Connor, Mosey, Lackowicz, Ben Davies - all in their 30’s with some nearing 40 !
On the flip side however, we have so many talented U25 Brits up and coming! Cade and Logan Neilson, Josh Waller, Jack Hopkins, Liam Steele, Joseph and Archie Hazeldine, and who can forget Liam Kirk, amongst a wealth of NIHL prospects. I do fear about the Goaltending situation however. I don’t think there are any notable goalie prospects who would be a worthy Bowns replacement. Luckily, we still have Whistle who is about 27 I believe, but it is well known he has reccuring injuries which stops him from being a bonafide starter

Crawford needs to be one of the first names re-signed. Simple as that. To have a defenceman that young (in EIHL terms) with that much upside is a massive coup.

Sure, he's a little bit raw defensively. But he can skate, make plays and has one thing we've cried out for this year: passion.

With the right D partner, there's no reason he can't reach the heights of a Fourns or Hotham.

Wannabe2

Crawford needs to be one of the first names re-signed. Simple as that. To have a defenceman that young (in EIHL terms) with that much upside is a massive coup.

Sure, he's a little bit raw defensively. But he can skate, make plays and has one thing we've cried out for this year: passion.

With the right D partner, there's no reason he can't reach the heights of a Fourns or Hotham.
Cant agree with that last sentence, but then again I ain’t a fan. Fourns and Hoth were two offs.

Cant agree with that last sentence, but then again I ain’t a fan. Fourns and Hoth were two offs.
I hear you. The point I was making was time is on Crawford's side.

Fair enough, Hoth was one of a kind. Fourns is arguably my favourite Devils player to watch ever, but he wasn't immediately the best defenseman in the league when he came in. In his last two/three seasons, however...

Would definitely want Crawford back with a solid stay at home partner. Still learning , will make mistakes, but who hasn't on our team this year? Think we would regret it if he turned up elsewhere in the league next year. Hotham is my all time favourite Devil, but I remember some criticism for him at times. Not suggesting that Crawford is or will be another Hoth, his like doesn't come around very often and I think we were blessed having him. Seeing him again at the weekend was special. Going to be an interesting summer of recruitment to say the least!

Eynonz

On the flip side however, we have so many talented U25 Brits up and coming! Cade and Logan Neilson, Josh Waller, Jack Hopkins, Liam Steele, Joseph and Archie Hazeldine, and who can forget Liam Kirk, amongst a wealth of NIHL prospects. I do fear about the Goaltending situation however. I don’t think there are any notable goalie prospects who would be a worthy Bowns replacement. Luckily, we still have Whistle who is about 27 I believe, but it is well known he has reccuring injuries which stops him from being a bonafide starter
There's also the Dundee goalie Preece who had a really good game against us last week. He's only 25, hopefully he gets more regular ice time next season.

The_Stick_

Another name id consider is Corey Neilson. Never really considered it, but knows the league like the back of his hand, and has won everything there is to win. Also done it away from our league in Germany. Maybe I’m just trying to think of anyone but DuPont for next season :D

ASHIPP

Another name id consider is Corey Neilson. Never really considered it, but knows the league like the back of his hand, and has won everything there is to win. Also done it away from our league in Germany. Maybe I’m just trying to think of anyone but DuPont for next season :D
Corey has been a winner in cup competitions in the Elite League many times before and took the Panthers to the Continental Cup Final and won. Although only ever achieved the League Championship once during his time in Nottingham.
He has coached in Europe and is a big part of Team GB coaching team.

The Panthers are having an unusually bad season this year....players who Corey inherited when he took over a few months ago. His demeanour in an interesting recent interview would suggest he's done all he can with the existing team!

Last edited:

moggy#9

Corey has been a winner in cup competitions in the Elite League many times before and took the Panthers to the Continental Cup Final and won. Although only ever achieved the League Championship once during his time in Nottingham.
He has coached in Europe and is a big part of Team GB coaching team.

The Panthers are having an unusually bad season this year....players who Corey inherited when he took over a few months ago. He's demeanour in a recent interview would suggest he's done all he can
With the existing team!
I can see him moving up the road the Sheffield when the season ends, given that fox won't be given another year.