Keep or Can

That wasn’t exactly fun to watch.

I think we all know that the constituent parts of this team aren’t good enough to win a league title.

It doesn’t mean that we have to throw everything in the bin, but certain things need to be accepted to build for next season:

1. Certain Brits aren’t what they were. We moved Myers on, and from a purely hockey perspective that might have been right. I think there are 2 who are on the chopping block, but it could be 1 or 3. It cannot be 0, as that would be a tacit acceptance of the drop in performances.

2. I would suggest that 7 of the 12 forwards are ok moving forward (CCS, Martin, 4th line). If we retain CCS they should go back to being a line, with a line centred around Martin with decent players. I’m afraid there are far too many forwards who offer absolutely nothing.

3. The D this year just aren’t good enough as a unit. The first time round Jardine was part of a core that had Fournier, McMonagle, and Morrisonn. Unfortunately, Big Lou seems to have gone over his peak and the others aren’t as good as those they’ve replaced from recent successful years.

4. The overall quality needs to improve. In 19/20 our roster had 487 NHL games and 2180 AHL games (with experience across a lot of top leagues). The current roster has 0 NHL games and 645 AHL games. Now, obviously experience in big leagues isn’t the be all and end all, but it indicates that the quality of player has lessened over time. This could be for a myriad of reasons, but I think the drop in levels is also obvious to those of us watching.

I’m not defending the coaching. The powerplay is a disgrace. But when you look at the drop in player experience and the implied drop in quality then I imagine it would be very difficult to achieve. Lordo was a very good coach, but he also had better tools to work with.

If we are sticking with Dupont, the. He needs to be given the right tools.

Swarley

If we are sticking with Dupont, then he needs to be given the right tools.
He's had the tools this season and what's he done with it? Absolutely nothing useful.

I was one of the first to say give him a chance and backed him as coach but I can't defend a coach who benches a core d man, turns the power plays into an absolute shit show and tonight turned a 4 line hockey team into a 2 line hockey team, he's out coached by every other team in this league his predictable and if he's back next season it won't improve, he's shown his hand and it's not even close to being prepared for this leagues coaching.

I think you both need to chill and actually read what I’ve said.

At no point have I given an opinion either way as to whether Dupont should stay. None of us get to make that call, and so I’m saying whether he does stay or not, significant playing staff changes will be necessary.

But you cannot say that he has as strong a team at his disposal as Lord did when we were winning league titles.

It may be entirely irrelevant, as it may be that he’d get the same results with the Tampa Bay Lightning’s squad. The tools he has are not good enough in the main, that doesn’t mean he is or isn’t good enough either way.

Swarley

I think you both need to chill and actually read what I’ve said.

At no point have I given an opinion either way as to whether Dupont should stay. None of us get to make that call, and so I’m saying whether he does stay or not, significant playing staff changes will be necessary.

But you cannot say that he has as strong a team at his disposal as Lord did when we were winning league titles.

It may be entirely irrelevant, as it may be that he’d get the same results with the Tampa Bay Lightning’s squad. The tools he has are not good enough in the main, that doesn’t mean he is or isn’t good enough either way.
Like I said before, the tools are there.

The coach just doesn't know how to utilise them.

Still dissagree with you as I usually do, it has nothing to do with chilling, we need a coach that has direction and we don’t have that one iota.
You’re disagreeing with a point I haven’t made. Which is just silly.

Also, we rarely interact. I’m not sure if you think I’m someone else or you’re just a bit excitable this evening and are making up nonsense.

Like I said before, the tools are there.

The coach just doesn't know how to utilise them.
You’re still wrong though. Because you’re arguing something I haven’t suggested.

As you’ve edited your comment, I’m responding - if you think these players are good enough to win the league then I’m afraid I can’t help you.

Swarley

You’re still wrong though. Because you’re arguing something I haven’t suggested.

As you’ve edited your comment, I’m responding - if you think these players are good enough to win the league then I’m afraid I can’t help you.

Its was edited as my phone decided to reply before I finished typing.

When you look at the players on paper they are more than capable of winning titles, for me it's an obvious coaching issue.

Samael

You’re disagreeing with a point I haven’t made. Which is just silly.

Also, we rarely interact. I’m not sure if you think I’m someone else or you’re just a bit excitable this evening and are making up nonsense.
This post was more entertaining for me than 95% of this year's campaign. Cheers for putting a smile on my face lol

When you look at the players on paper they are more than capable of winning titles, for me it's an obvious coaching issue.
I don’t think Dupont has it. I think he’s out of his depth. He needs to go learn his craft working under some experienced head coaches.

But I wholly disagree that the players are good enough to win the league when you look at both the experience of this season and the the comparison to previous seasons. On paper we aren’t as strong as Belfast or Sheffield. The stats show we aren’t as good at hockey as we have been in previous seasons.

The whole point is that we don’t get to decide if we continue with Dupont. But the easy out now is to look at our team and say “well the team could be better”. And so the club may decide to keep him, hence my comment about continuing with Dupont.

Only when the players match our ambitions throughout the team and Dupont still isn’t delivering does that excuse fall away. Then I don’t think the club would have a choice.

Agree with this. If we had Paul Dixon or Danny Stewart coaching this Devils team they’d get hell of a lot more out of the players than Dupoint has.

He’s been in charge nearly 12 months and this teams got no plan or no identify.

E.D.S.

I don’t think Dupont has it. I think he’s out of his depth. He needs to go learn his craft working under some experienced head coaches.

But I wholly disagree that the players are good enough to win the league when you look at both the experience of this season and the the comparison to previous seasons. On paper we aren’t as strong as Belfast or Sheffield. The stats show we aren’t as good at hockey as we have been in previous seasons.

The whole point is that we don’t get to decide if we continue with Dupont. But the easy out now is to look at our team and say “well the team could be better”. And so the club may decide to keep him, hence my comment about continuing with Dupont.

Only when the players match our ambitions throughout the team and Dupont still isn’t delivering does that excuse fall away. Then I don’t think the club would have a choice.
As much as DuPont is ultimately responsible some of the players this year have been awful finds… Brittain! What a waste of an import slot, Penny, Reid and Crandall too and here’s something I never thought I’d write but Ritchie has been off the mark of late as well and what’s Coxs aversion to shooting??

Swarley

here’s something I never thought I’d write but Ritchie has been off the mark of late as well
In his defence he's 36 and covering other players assess none stop, fatigue sets in on the best of them.

Wouldn't shock me at all if him and a fair few others retire at the end of the season.

BostonBart22

Obviously the ones dupont has benched the last few games won't be back and I can't blame them playing for those 2 muppetts, as I said before batch will be gone prob guildford, back to coach or attempting to coach can we send dupont to bristol on a 2 way and get Jamie elson back , will be a good number 2 to work with a new coach and probably cheaper than the 2 idiots there now .just saying

Samael

Cardiff Devils: 'Our fans are by far the best', says coach Brodie Dupont - BBC Sport

I wonder if he still actually believes this after they were booed off the ice at the Manchester game. He clearly doesn't read the inferno (wisely imo) but this heavily edited PR clip from January is just a load of bollocks it would appear, if he and the team actually were sincere about this, we wouldn't have been witnessing the beer league effort for the last few months.

Kevin roog

Obviously the ones dupont has benched the last few games won't be back and I can't blame them playing for those 2 muppetts, as I said before batch will be gone prob guildford, back to coach or attempting to coach can we send dupont to bristol on a 2 way and get Jamie elson back , will be a good number 2 to work with a new coach and probably cheaper than the 2 idiots there now .just saying
Batch to Swindon or Bristol , not good enough anymore for Guildford unfortunately

AJ73

It’s interesting - I was looking back at our roster from 19/20 and wondering how many of the current side (returning players aside) would get into that Roster. I’m geniunely struggling beyond Cox, Sanford and Davies.