Davies ✔️
Brittain ️
Crawford ✔️
Duggan ✔️
Richardson ✔️
Jardine
Reid ️
Crandall ️
Pietroniro ✔️ (Can play F and D, likely cheap and can be used as a utility guy)
Brandt ✔️
Kozun
Bowns ✔️
Batch ️
Thompson
Cox ✔️
Coughler ✔️
Martin ✔️
Penny ️
Waller ✔️
Sanford ✔️

DuPont ❌❌❌
Horn ❌❌❌

Last edited:

jenks33

Keep

Bowns - Mainly because he's a brit but i'd like a stronger import goalie to be brought in alongside him. Kozun has had a good two seasons for us but i'd like a new import goalie next season.
Richie
Martin
Cox
Sanford
Davies
Duggan
Waller
Brandt

50/50

Crawford - I think we will stick with Crawford. He's only 25 and 53 points in 44 games is clearly impressive for a Dman. There are negatives though. He's struggled defensively all season, his discipline is an issue and he's been very disappointing on the PP.
Batch - I can see why people think it's time for Batch to move on but i would probably keep him for another year. Mainly because i don't think Reece Kelly is ready yet and i still think Batch is a decent 6th Dman.
Coughler and Jardine - I'm a big fan of both players when they are fit and healthy but their fitness must be a concern (particularly Coughler). We can't afford to lose them for long periods again next season.

Time to move on

Kozun - Nothing against Kozun and he's had a good two years in Cardiff. I just don't think he's a goalie that's going to guide us to the league title.
Thompson - After a bright-ish start i've been disappointed with Thompson. I was hoping we had signed a steady, reliable Dman but he's looked nervy all season for me. The Thompson/Crawford partnership hasn't worked. We can certainly upgrade.
Louis - Very good servant for the Devils but time to move on.
Reid and Crandall - Extremely disappointing.
Penny and Brittain - Bang average.
Pietroniro

moggy#9

Keep

Bowns - Mainly because he's a brit but i'd like a stronger import goalie to be brought in alongside him. Kozun has had a good two seasons for us but i'd like a new import goalie next season.
Richie
Martin
Cox
Sanford
Davies
Duggan
Waller
Brandt

50/50

Crawford - I think we will stick with Crawford. He's only 25 and 53 points in 44 games is clearly impressive for a Dman. There are negatives though. He's struggled defensively all season, his discipline is an issue and he's been very disappointing on the PP.
Batch - I can see why people think it's time for Batch to move on but i would probably keep him for another year. Mainly because i don't think Reece Kelly is ready yet and i still think Batch is a decent 6th Dman.
Coughler and Jardine - I'm a big fan of both players when they are fit and healthy but their fitness must be a concern (particularly Coughler). We can't afford to lose them for long periods again next season.

Time to move on

Kozun - Nothing against Kozun and he's had a good two years in Cardiff. I just don't think he's a goalie that's going to guide us to the league title.
Thompson - After a bright-ish start i've been disappointed with Thompson. I was hoping we had signed a steady, reliable Dman but he's looked nervy all season for me. The Thompson/Crawford partnership hasn't worked. We can certainly upgrade.
Louis - Very good servant for the Devils but time to move on.
Reid and Crandall - Extremely disappointing.
Penny and Brittain - Bang average.
Pietroniro
I broadly agree with this, but I have some caveats:

I agree bowns value is as a Brit. If we had the option of a suitable alternative for the quota though, I wouldn't keep him. His best days are gone and his reflexes will just get slower.

Crawford I would keep, but with an effective partner and on a line that would cover him.

Batch is another one whose value is as a Brit. He's had a bad year, but I'm not sure if that's him or the impact of line mates. I'm really surprised we've not tried him in front of the net on the pp.

If coughler and jardine's are fit, I'd have them back.

Kozun I'd prefer to bowns, but he's obviously not a top tier goalie. Excellent backup though.

Thompson - clearly not the guy we need.

Louis - best enforcer in the league, but he's getting caught too often and may be approaching retirement.

Reid and Crandall. No question - gone.

Penny and Britain. Very disappointing, though Brittany was far better as a centre and I don't think he's been utilised properly.

Pietroniro - tough to say as I've not seen him enough. His value is in his flexibility, though of course we let the best utility guy (mosey) go.

Ejercito Rojas

Far too many of these wasters will be back next season as the team just needs a tweak apparently.
There aren’t enough quality brits around so we’ll probably have the same group next year.
As for the imports, I’d get rid of :

Kozun, as we’re clearly keeping Bowns we need a top quality starter.
Louis, too old and showing limitations.
Thompson, average.
Jardine, started well but got injured and missed half the season and probably a big wage earner.
Reid, One trick pony.
Crandall, disappointing
Penny, disappointing
Brittain, hugely disappointing.
Pietronero, deadline day budget signing.
Coughler, Injury prone and not the same player since his latest injury.

But in truth the face least likely to be seen next season unfortunately will be mine!

moggy#9

I think the key question that's not being asked is what the general feeling is on Dupont. On another thread it seems fairly conclusive though, despite the owners apparently believing he's the guy. Personally, as I've thought from the beginning, he is most assuredly not the guy.

Wannabe2

Think most people have the same feeling about the Coach, and what do you expect the owners to say 1 hr before a game, they have eyes and last night seen first class what we have seen all season.

doron

Louis
Davies ✔️
Brittain ️
Crawford ✔️
Duggan ✔️
Richardson ✔️
Jardine
Reid ️
Crandall ️
Pietroniro ✔️ utility ( i like should keep )
Brandt ✔️( i like should keep )
Kozun✔️
Bowns
Batch ️
Thompson
Cox ✔️
Coughler ✔️( i like should keep )
Martin ✔️
Penny ️
Waller ✔️
Sanford ✔️
DuPont ❌❌❌ not impressed at all ❌❌❌
Horn ❌❌❌ not impressed at all ❌❌❌

Swarley

Louis ✔️️
Davies ✔️
Crawford ✔️
Duggan ✔️
Richardson ✔️
Crandall ️ ✔️
Brandt ✔️
Kozun ✔️️
Cox ✔️
Coughler ✔️
Martin ✔️
Waller ✔️
Sanford ✔️

Dupont I'd keep but demote to assistant coach and bring in Stephen Dixon as head coach, he knows the league inside and out and I think he would help Dupont find his feet in this league.

The rest should be told thanks but we are going in a different direction next season.

AJ73

I’d quite like to see us find 2 new wingers for Martin in the off-season and reunite the CCS line. I don’t think it’s any coincidence that Coughler’s form has dropped this season (injury aside) from being stuck in underperforming lines that have been chopped and changed all season with no chemistry.

We could then have more of a 1a, 1b in lines than we currently have. Lines 2 & 3 currently are basically a jumble of 6 players with no chemistry looking for a piece of individual brilliance.

The_Stick_

Louis ✔️️
Davies ✔️
Crawford ✔️
Duggan ✔️
Richardson ✔️
Crandall ️ ✔️
Brandt ✔️
Kozun ✔️️
Cox ✔️
Coughler ✔️
Martin ✔️
Waller ✔️
Sanford ✔️

Dupont I'd keep but demote to assistant coach and bring in Stephen Dixon as head coach, he knows the league inside and out and I think he would help Dupont find his feet in this league.
Dixon is the absolute last person we need. Would be a nice sentiment, but there’s no chance I want us to take on another rookie coach, who made it very clear in the past that he didn’t want to coach in the future. He’s also not having the greatest time as coach in Glasgow, with Dyson Stevenson taking the bulk of responsibility

moggy#9

For a coach we need a technocrat who will implement systems and structure. If have no objection to keeping Dupont as an assistant, but it would be humiliating for him and unfair.

Swarley

Dixon is the absolute last person we need. Would be a nice sentiment, but there’s no chance I want us to take on another rookie coach, who made it very clear in the past that he didn’t want to coach in the future. He’s also not having the greatest time as coach in Glasgow, with Dyson Stevenson taking the bulk of responsibility
I'd put more faith in Dixon being able to produce something than Dupont atm, Dixon knows the league knows the way games need to be played, yeah he's having a mare at clan but that's a team he didn't recruit or have say in and got dumped with, he knows power play tactics something out current coach doesn't.

Failing that go for a head coach who knows how to motivate a team

These mid-season Q&A’s are a waste of time as nothing contentious will be stated and difficult questions will be avoided. It’s just an exercise in Preaching to the Choir!
An end of season Q&A when there are no loyalties or sensibilities to upset would be the best chance for an open and honest appraisal of the season.
However, I don’t believe in airing one’s dirty laundry in public and I’m sure the Club will have the appropriate internal autopsy on the season.
The Club will make their own decisions on this season after the POFW and sign a team they see fit for purpose of challenging for the league next year.
That will be their right and I don’t have a problem with that.

I have already formed my opinion on this season and it’s by far from a positive one. Going to watch the hockey used to be an enjoyable and an uplifting experience but all too often these last 2 seasons it has been anything but that.
Dour, uninspiring and shambolic performances have become the norm with little or no signs of progress.

There have also been some good performances but nowhere near enough for me to feel I have been entertained to anywhere near the level of recent seasons and I will wait to see after next years coach and team have been signed before I decide to renew my ST.

Should I adjust my expectation level?
Am I being unrealistic?
Bearing in mind that a pessimist is what an optimist calls a realist!

They say in sport, “Don’t get too high on the highs and too low on the lows” as you need a good level of consistency in performance (not to be confused with results) but that is exactly what this team offers, highs and lows, it’s wildly inconsistent.

Last edited:

kingmo19.1

Brits first:-

Keep: Davies, Waller, Duggan, Richardson and Bowns.
Let go: Batch or rotate him with Kelly on a full time basis.

Imports:

Keep: Martin, Cox, Sanford, Brandt.
Let go: All the others.

For me any 50/50 imports haven’t done enough, so it’s time to say goodbye. Likewise for Coughler and Jardine if they don’t remain 100% fit to the end of the season it’s time to say goodbye.

Tweaking this team won’t be enough next season!

Recruitment needs to be a lot better for 23-24!

If next season is much the same as this in terms of personnel and just tweaking then I’ll be finding something else to occupy my time! This season has been a total borefest! Boring team, tactically inept and passionless for large parts.

i know from a very reliable source that dixon wanted to be part of the coaching team this season. The devils made a position available for him then he went and signed for Glasgow...