Just in case you didnt hear about Romfo!

Thread starter #1
It has been brought to my attention that there are rumours circulating as to what happened to me after the season and the status of my education. I am here to set the record straight and present the facts as best I know; you are entitled to read this transcript and form your own opinions of myself and more importantly the Cardiff Devils organization.
I was released from the team one week before Christmas after what I was told was due to “financial reasons”. Another player was brought in my stead and this decision seemed odd to me since they released me due to money issues. I then went home for the holidays since I had no place to live with the intention of returning the first week of January to finish exams. I returned, took and passed my exams and then was asked to come back to the team a week later and take a 50% pay cut. I had no choice but to take the offer since I was sticking with my University coursework. I came back to play and played a key defensive role in getting the team to the EIHL finals. I never received and apology from anyone with the Devils and spent a week on the floor of Hartwick and Millers apartment.
After the season, I went on vacation to Spain, Italy, and Greece from April 9th to the 29th well within my visa expiration date which was May 15th. Several times before it expired I sought help from the team because after research on UK immigration I did not receive any definitive answers. I also knew the team was responsible for my visa extension since school was part of the deal until September. I was advised by the front office to leave the country and let my visa expire and try to re-enter as a “visitor”. This was the solution to applying for a visa extension which I could have done but would have cost the team money. I went to Dublin, Ireland on May 15th and returned to Cardiff on the 16th only to be detained and told I had one week to leave the UK. Then I was forced to leave the UK on May 21st, and returned to the US.
I should also mention that I brought my visa expiration date issue up to the Devils multiple times and was told not to worry about it. I have email proof that they intended not to handle my visa extension and that they were responsible. I am under the impression that to save money they expected us imports in the school program to remain in the UK illegally and hope not to get caught. Jarvis and Hartwick had the same issues, but my schooling went until September whereas theirs went until the end of May or early June.
On my return to the US I learned that I needed to apply to finish my MBA next May and June. On top of that I left on May 21st and just received my belongings on August 9th, which the Devils were in charge of shipping to me since I couldn’t re-enter the country and collect my personal belongings. Part of the reason it took so long is that they “shipped” my things on a ship across the Atlantic and had an unpaid debt with this company which they took their time paying while my things were being held ransom until this debt was cleared up.
At this point I am beyond upset with this organization, who still owes me money for changing of flights, baggage, etc, which adds up to anywhere from $800 to 2,000. I am just stating the facts of what happened to me so that you the fans can form your own opinions and decide whether or not this is an organization you would like to do business with. I certainly will never deal with the Devils!
P.S. – I have been told that “ your arrangement with the old ownership does not transfer”. Which means that I will have to pay, out of my own pockets, to come back to finish classes, secure a place to live, and get transportation. All of this should be taken care of by the Devils as stated in my contract.

DevilDom

IF this is all true and I have no reason to doubt it is I feel truely sorry for Scott and slightly ashamed to be a Devils fan.

Hopefully someone from the club could put their side of the argument and maybe they can take some responsible for what he has gone through and try and help out.

TheStub

This is when having a critical media would benefit us. It would be nice to have someone put the Romfo statement to the club and get "some answers".

If this is going to be our modus operandai then someone needs to give someone at the club a methaphorical kicking.

TheStub said:
If this is going to be our modus operandai then someone needs to give someone at the club a methaphorical kicking.
My bold.
How do you mean going to be? At the dawn of time someone asked The Devils to organise a celebratory "party" in a brewery. Due to the organisational shortcomings of the Devils the invites are yet to materialise. It's always been like this hasn't it?
Don't be shy Scott, name and shame, see if we can't get a response.

TheStub

We put up with a level of ineptitude from the club, as for many years the back office have hardly had the air of a professional team. This seems to be improving, but certainly has a decent way to go before we can view them with confidence.

But administration and just plain shafting players are worlds apart, you would hope. Although you can argue lots of things that have befallen Romfo are administration failings taken to the absurd.

I can take the backoffice feeling like happy amatures, as long as they don't shaft people who have their professional or academic life riding on them. It would be nice to see the Devils approached, given the right of reply. If they really have been this awful (and I'm not questioning anything Scott has said, just pushing to hear both sides) then action needs to be seen to be taken in the back office.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Hoping the club can respond to this. Doesn't sound very good.

I have no reason to doubt Scott's version of events but remember Miller's rant on facebook about not being paid!!?

This does not sound good.
However if this was going on i would like to thank scott for still giving 100% whilst this was going on in the background.
im sure scott will still have many friends here.....

TheStub

derek6368 said:
This does not sound good.
However if this was going on i would like to thank scott for still giving 100% whilst this was going on in the background.
im sure scott will still have many friends here.....
So say we all.

Thanks for being a rock in our defense, and giving it your all. I just hope that you wont think too badly of your time with us.

Romfo has just gone up in my estimations. Under the circumstances the way he stayed on playing with a professional attitude is quite remarkable.

But is anyone really surprised by the clubs handling of this? Behind all the positive spin being pumped out by the front office team and the unoffical mouth piece last year, there was so many similar poor judgement calls/actions going on; British legion jersey auction (inc the delay in handing money over after they were caught out), the questionable use of gift aid claims, Belfast equipment transport, lack of skate blades and sticks......... the list could go on.

But the slate is now clean, the Devils are now under the controlled of Paul Ragan, hopefully these type of PR cock ups will result in a few P45's being handed out.

davew

This really is a sad indication of how amateurish the present staff appear to be.

When Romfs was released I felt that there were other things going on behind the scenes. I would like to think that we had drawn a line under all the maladministartion after the "BP" era, well it looks as though we haven't.

Scott, I am truly sorry that the club which the fans have fought long and hard for over the last few years has let you down. I hope that you are able to complete your studies this year, and that your future both on and off the ice holds great things for you.

rocketbob

I feel truly sorry for the treatment that Scott recieved last season and I have to say that I am slightly ashamed that the club that I support has treated a player like this. Something needs to be done to allow Scott to finish his studies, be that in Cardiff or back in the US. I would also like to thank Scott for playing the way that he did after christmas last season with all this going on in the background. Truly a professional sportsman. Good luck in the future Scott.

Fubar

i undertsand his frustration and anger, but what's the point in posting on a fan's forum? Get an Attorney and take it from there.

For what its worth, he did a cracking job when he came back!

Sheincar

Maybe he's sick of reading how wonderful the club is when he knows different. He was very professional during his time here but he's clearly never ever going to recommend this club to other players.

ASHIPP

Fubar said:
i undertsand his frustration and anger, but what's the point in posting on a fan's forum? Get an Attorney and take it from there.

All points spot on! Have no reason to disbelieve Scott that he is unhappy about events that happened but this really is a matter between player and Club. Someone posted earlier that the club need to come forward with a statement. To whom? The apology, if one is needed, needs to be to the player, not the fans. And the Club can take whatever action they might need to privately with the player. Infact, I'm a bit ashamed of myself for participating in a public disection of this issue :oops: when it is really should be a matter between employer/employee.

osh

ASHIPP said:
Fubar said:

All points spot on! Have no reason to disbelieve Scott that he is unhappy about events that happened but this really is a matter between player and Club. Someone posted earlier that the club need to come forward with a statement. To whom? The apology, if one is needed, needs to be to the player, not the fans. And the Club can take whatever action they might need to privately with the player. Infact, I'm a bit ashamed of myself for participating in a public disection of this issue :oops: when it is really should be a matter between employer/employee.
ASHIPP, ashamed ? You weren't too ashamed to post 9 times during the original ROMFO UPDATE topic were you, what's the difference? Perhaps its because you just don't believe anything bad of the club perhaps. Fair play to Romfo for providing his version of events, why should such things not be told to us fans? I stated at the time that perhaps he should post his version of things and he has now done so. Lets not kid ourselves, the club organisation read this forum ( and would be informed of things by those who have their ear anyway) so it will be interesting to hear what they have to say, and it will also be interesting to hear what our usual ' Devils can't do anything wrong' posters think of things as well

TheStub

osh said:
so it will be interesting to hear what they have to say, and it will also be interesting to hear what our usual ' Devils can't do anything wrong' posters think of things as well
That is kind of the point. Romfo has public domained the information, from his side, and fans will want some form of reaction to that.

I would guess that the amounts of money involved are small (for legal proceedings) or too tenuous to prove in court. Scott has quelled debate in some ways, as we now have a statement from him - that leads the fans to want to know what the club's version is.

As a few have mentioned, in some ways the club dropped a number of administrative clangers last season - hopefully this season will see them improve.

Posting on a fan forum is not professional, why bring the fans into an issue between yourself and the club when we don't have both sides of the story and are not entitled to them either.

It always seemed that the club treated the player shabbily, but I would guess that there will be a lot about this we don't know and many people will take sides without ever having the full picture.

There is more than one issue like this floating around again at the moment. Personally, I would like to commend Scott for the way he played last year in what was obviously a difficult season for him, but I'm not impressed with the public statement. Other players have been able to successfully navigate the visa system, including Hartwick who I believe went travelling in Europe between 2008/9 seasons and is also an American who was studying an MSc. etc etc. What was so different for Romfo?

Fair play to Scott - I think he's handled it very professionally indeed.

I agree that at first it should be a private matter between player & club however it would seem that given that that approach appears to have led nowhere, Scott is fully entiltled to give his version of events and defend himself from the rumours and hopefully the public statement will force the club to be more professional about matters in future and hopefully avoid them going public. Scott is no longer employed by the team and if they havent done as his contract says then he has every right to bring it to light if he feels the need to.

I'd suspected the club wasn't quite as professional as we'd like to think given the numerous issues last season, as has previously been mentioned, along with a couple of issues with my season tickets last year - having to send numerous emails and chase answers to get things sorted is not what i expect to have to do as a valued season ticket holder.

Not the way i would choose to run the business but that said im not in the business of running a sports team. Hopefully we can look forward to a more professional club behind the scenes this year as it is bound to translate into a more professional on ice performance and better treatment of season ticket holders and corporate guests.

Thanks to Scott for his efforts last season and i too wish you all the best for the future both on and off the ice.

DevilDom

For some people on here poor Scott just can't win!

He has been very professional throughout this - coming back after the way he was treated and giving his best and IMO being one of our better players in the 2nd half of the season. All the time in the background was the hurt about the way he had been treated and yet he kept quiet.

Only now when there are rumours circulating about how it was his own fault and that he was naive etc. he got kicked out of the country and he didn't listen to the club does he come on here and put his own version of events out. RIGHTLY IMO. How much does he have to take? He hasn't ranted he hasn't named people or been abusive, he has simply put his version of events to defend himself from the allegations floating around.

I think IF everything Scott says is true then the club have acted disgracefully towards him and it would be nice if someone took a bit responsibility for that and came out (not necessarily on here) and explained their side of the story or if nobody has the balls to do that they at least tried to help him complete his studies as best they can.