Giants webcast

august04 2.0

"the Belfast player trips/slewfoots Louis"

Catch your self on Finny.. At least have the good grace to accept tonight was not your night. Devils had at times some nice plays, they will get better no doubt. Over the 2 games, Bowns may be a real problem going forward
On the latter point, I have a feeling you may be right…..the Devils have gained an extra import skater but our goaltending has taken a huge hit from last year. We'll see how that decision pans out but I suspect Kozun may see a lot more action this year.

Slartibartfast

I didn't see either game as Im in France with a rubbish wifi connection but Im not overly concerned. My only concern is where is Jake Coughler. Injuries preseason are rare unless they have been playing in a summer league somewhere. (I remember Doug McCarthy used to play roller hockey in the summer). Coughler is so important to this team. We saw how his arrival turned things around last season. I hope he is back soon.
Also having Brandt take Reids place is a considerable downgrade in terms of scoring potential. No disrespect to Brandt who fulfils his role very well. So with our two top lines disrupted, its not surprising there was a lack of chemistry and goals.
Also Belfast have recruited very well. Probably the best in terms of imports though may lack depth after the CHL spares depart.
No need to panic yet.

moggy#9

I didn't see either game as Im in France with a rubbish wifi connection but Im not overly concerned. My only concern is where is Jake Coughler. Injuries preseason are rare unless they have been playing in a summer league somewhere. (I remember Doug McCarthy used to play roller hockey in the summer). Coughler is so important to this team. We saw how his arrival turned things around last season. I hope he is back soon.
Also having Brandt take Reids place is a considerable downgrade in terms of scoring potential. No disrespect to Brandt who fulfils his role very well. So with our two top lines disrupted, its not surprising there was a lack of chemistry and goals.
Also Belfast have recruited very well. Probably the best in terms of imports though may lack depth after the CHL spares depart.
No need to panic yet.
I wouldn't say there's a need to panic, a few weeks of practice does makes a difference. I do however have concerns at how unprepared the team looked on Friday in some fundamental areas. I'm sure that they'll be targets for training this week though.

E.D.S.

I wouldn't say there's a need to panic, a few weeks of practice does makes a difference. I do however have concerns at how unprepared the team looked on Friday in some fundamental areas. I'm sure that they'll be targets for training this week though.
Agree… a lot of it has to be rustiness though. The same powerplay moves as last year is no surprise given time to work on new ideas will be limited. Puck retention is what I’m still looking for. Dupont indicated that he still doesn’t have the size he needs, which doesn’t surprise me. Britain is tall but I wouldn’t class him as a big body. Defensively I think we’ll be grand but I wonder where the physicality will come from. A third line big body in Britain isn’t going to deliver the retention we need.
As you say Moggy, I don’t think it’s time to panic at all but certainly looking for improvement and rapid improvement over the next couple of days.

hip check

Catch your self on Finny.. At least have the good grace to accept tonight was not your night. Devils had at times some nice plays, they will get better no doubt. Over the 2 games, Bowns may be a real problem going forward
Must agree about Browns, we are going to miss

Agree regarding Browns, we're gonna miss Carruth.

the way i see it why bust a gut on meaningless challange matches,its about easing the team into match fitness,line combinations and getting a look at the two way players.if the devils really cared about the result they wouldn't of let belfast play above the import level.and like people have said our top 2 lines were distrupted.i think we will be fine after a few more matches and training sessions.we most definatly haven't seen what this team is capabile of.

Devil94

Whose decision was it to bring bowns back what a total down grade to carruth we should have left him alone
Carruth conceded 4 in the first period in Belfast and got pulled, in what was our most important game of the year at the time. Now we didn’t make judgements over his quality over that one game, so maybe we shouldn't do so for our most successful goalie of all time from one pre season game? Just a thought.

To those saying we looked unprepared. Yes, we are. That's the whole idea. We are 1 week in to a 4 week preseason. Belfast had a slow start last year remember, including losing 7-1 to Sheffield in the league.

Last edited:

moggy#9

Carruth conceded 4 in the first period in Belfast and got pulled, in what was our most important game of the year at the time. Now we didn’t make judgements over his quality over that one game, so maybe we shouldn't do so for our most successful goalie of all time from one pre season game? Just a thought.

To those saying we looked unprepared. Yes, we are. That's the whole idea. We are 1 week in to a 4 week preseason. Belfast had a slow start last year remember, including losing 7-1 to Sheffield in the league.
Or how about you accept that some people have different opinions to you. Just a thought.

kettdevil1

To those saying we looked unprepared. Yes, we are. That's the whole idea. We are 1 week in to a 4 week preseason.
Stop talking sense ;)

Didn't see Saturday's game so can't comment on it but if people are blaming Bowns for the L on Friday then I would fundamentally disagree. As Devil94 states, we are heading on a different trajectory to Belfast and I am definitely not reading anything much into this weekend (or indeed next). Carruth is a top quality EIHL NM and on all known evidence so is Bowns so..... it could be that he has suffered a major decline in the last few years but I am struggling with the evidence base. Injury blighted his time away from us and if he has recovered then he will continue to put up good numbers for us.

I stand by my view before the Belfast game, we will be there or thereabouts in the league and any team that finishes above the Giants will probably be champions.

Hedd Wyn John

I wouldn't be surprised to see kozun become defacto number one. Let's give bowns a chance, to prove us wrong though.
I didn't see the Belfast away game I only saw our home game and Bowns looked pretty decent.

In my view Carruth WAS the best goal tender in the EIHL last season. So it was always going to be hard for Bowns to live upto that.

So was Bowns really that bad last night?

Wannabe2

Thread starter #118
I didn't see the Belfast away game I only saw our home game and Bowns looked pretty decent.

In my view Carruth WAS the best goal tender in the EIHL last season. So it was always going to be hard for Bowns to live upto that.

So was Bowns really that bad last night?
Well I watched the whole match, and Ben Bowns didn’t lose us the game, what did however was playing against a team who have been together much longer than us, who had settled lines, who had 4 more import skaters than us, and who were playing at home. On another night and on a level playing field the result could have been far different. Let’s judge the team and players in another 4/6 weeks time, think we may just be, me included expecting too much too soon. I once made a comment on why we signed a player who in my mind was pretty garbage after him being here for 3 weeks, that player turned out to be one of my all time favourites, a certain Mr Ian McIntyre, let’s hope we all have more positive views in a few weeks time.