Giants Vs Devils - League - 6th Nov 22 - 16:00 FO

Rempel16

Well I guess I will leave this forum them with comments such as that. I wish you all well
I've no idea who Nathan G is, but I think you've taken his comment out of context.

I read it to mean that we all know it's just a hockey game and there's far worse things going on in the world, but this is a forum to come and discuss all things Devils, so catastrophising on this medium obviously can't be compared to what's going on elsewhere, hence it doesn't need saying. I didn't see any intent to cause offense by it.

moggy#9

The reality is there isn't going to be a mass clear out. As Franny wrote in the programme, they have a process they believe and will be sticking to - "there won't be a panic". May be another player may come in but fundamentally they stick to what they know. We aren't a 'mass clear out' club which benefits us when attracting players. They know they will be treated well. I'd be surprised if Dupont went as he has come in under the banner of being a new coach and someone who needs time so I think he'll get it. It's one hell of a tough way to learn but he's got to learn. No time out being called in the second is concerning.
Be nice to see some sort of a reaction from owners/MD, not that we are entitled to one. I was at that mauling when sheffield humiliated us something like 11-1 but we weren't allowed to express dissatisfaction as the rhetoric that came out was that we'd won a trophy for the first time in years but as someone who paid a fortune to get up there and drag along a newbie with me as well, I was fuming by the lack of professionalism.
It's a great thing that we treat players well and with respect. That's fine as well as the respect is a two way street and both sides of the bargain deliver as expected. From what I've seen, that doesn't appear to be the case.

Yes, Dupont is a new coach, but at what point do we draw a line and day he's not up to or not ready for the job? It's not like it's just the odd occasion where the devils are behind shaded, or something goes slightly wrong. Many of us have been saying for a long time that fundamentals aren't right. I do actually have some sympathy for Dupont. He should have had a season or two as an assistant, but he's been thrown into the deep end and appears to be sinking.

Action needs to be taken. If it doesn't happen soon, the league will be gone. But who knows we might get lucky in the play offs, and then everything will be fine. Won't it?

TL91

Genuine question here.

On what basis is it clear TK did most of the recruitment? Is that what the club has said or is it down to reading between the lines or unofficial talk from inside the camp.
i thought it was well known. Franny has been on Wally’s podcast a few times as well and discussed the recruitment process. From what he says, it appears to be TK mainly running it with input from Franny. I assume from whoever the coach is as well, but it’s not been said and you think of timelines - we didn’t know who was going to be head coach until after the play offs. You’d imagine a lot of conversations and recruitment would have happened prior to that match due to fear of other teams getting in on the players we do in fact want to retain.

Now as you say, this is my interpretation of it all - open to any challenges or anything anyone knows on the matter?

James

Administrator
Thread starter #345
Ive no idea in this case who was responsible for recruiting but outside the UK it's quite common for a coach to be handed the team and not take part in recruiting them

TL91

Ive no idea in this case who was responsible for recruiting but outside the UK it's quite common for a coach to be handed the team and not take part in recruiting them
Which is strange in my opinion I imagine the game doesn’t vary much over here as let’s be honest, it’s basically run by Americans/Canadians. Forgive my football analogy again, but imagine you have a classic Tony Pulis Stoke City side and their way of playing. Pep Guardiola goes in and takes over the squad with a very different way of playing; it takes years to change the style and that’s even with player changes. Guess the point I’m making is the coach isn’t always suited to the players…so let the coach recruit the players and they can live and die on that.

Genuine question here.

On what basis is it clear TK did most of the recruitment? Is that what the club has said or is it down to reading between the lines or unofficial talk from inside the camp.
Guessing because he brought Bownsy and Martin back, these guys would not be on DuPont's radar.

kristian

I seem to remember losing to m Nottingham 0-8 at home when Lord was here.
Yes it hurts has fans . But calling players shit no good gas the lot of them ect is not doing any good IMO.
This is the time to.get behind them show are support be loud and proud on Sunday night.
Game over move on let the team on and off the ice sort it out.

Well I guess I will leave this forum them with comments such as that. I wish you all well
I know you have taken some grief on this thread ( hockeymad too) but please don’t leave the forum over it.
We all enjoy sharing views on here but last night’s result/performance seems to have tipped people over the edge.
Not surprising but if some go back and read what they’ve written then they might decide to leave too ( I’ve said this in jest before I get it in the neck )

NathanG

I was puzzled by Nathan G comment.

There are worse things going on in the world- like Ukraine!
We lost a hockey game!
Doesn't take much to confuse you then does it?

Of course theres worse things going on in the world. But this is a Devils forum and this thread in particular is to discuss yesterday's hammering at the hands of the giants.

I don't mean to sound like a prick here but it really is that simple.

CaldicotDevil

I seem to remember losing to m Nottingham 0-8 at home when Lord was here.
Yes it hurts has fans . But calling players shit no good gas the lot of them ect is not doing any good IMO.
This is the time to.get behind them show are support be loud and proud on Sunday night.
Game over move on let the team on and off the ice sort it out.
Its hard to compare Lord & Dupoint. Lord was a cult hero here, so fans will naturally give him more time. I think if Dixon had the Devils coaching job he’d be given a lot more slack from the fans than Dupoints getting.

Kevlar68

But again we've seen it time and time again over the years, members spit their dummies out, storm off, slam the door and are back a few weeks later.
If members want to leave so be it, if people want to comment they're more than welcome. Not everyone agrees, it's just opinions. No one is making members read posts or making them comment. We're all adults not children.

DevilDom

It’s a long time since I last posted, but here goes. I am far from a happy clapper but let’s have a bit of perspective. Last night was a very poor performance and yes the 2nd period was unacceptable. Nobody will know that more than the owners, TK, Dupont and the players. I’m also (not yet) convinced by Dupont. I think he was lucky to have remained at the Devils last year after arriving as our 1st line centre, then being benched ‘injured’ and then being fortunate enough to take the plaudits when Skalde’s team won the 4 game playoffs.

However, saying all of that, let’s not throw the baby out with the bath water! The owners and TK have done an amazing job over the last 7 years to the extent that expectations are so high they are now suffering a little from that. However, we probably have a budget anywhere between 3rd and 5th highest and on paper we probably have a team to match that. We have no right to compete with the likes of Sheffield and Belfast on a regular basis but have over the past 6 years. This season we are struggling a little.

I agree with others on here that the balance of the team isn’t probably right at the moment and some players are maybe past their best. I think our D has been very disappointing and probably needs a change or at least a bit of competition in there. A couple of our forwards also haven’t started the season that strongly either, but I believe offensively we are not far off where we need to be and are scoring a decent number of goals.

We’ve had bad defeats before under Lord and always bounced back. Let’s at least give this team a chance to do that and show that they can be better.

E.D.S.

Doesn't take much to confuse you then does it?

Of course theres worse things going on in the world. But this is a Devils forum and this thread in particular is to discuss yesterday's hammering at the hands of the giants.

I don't mean to sound like a prick here but it really is that simple.
100% and as Kevlar and everyone else seems to say "if you don't like it, don't read it". I never quite understand the announcement "I'm leaving the forum".... there's no need to announce it, just do it. Just like there's no need to read and then get upset by something you disagree with. I'd rather people didn't leave the forum (with the exception of one or two non value adding members) as more opinions and more debate makes for a better forum. It's pretty dull on here if we all agree with one another.

For me the difficulty comes when you have a number of people saying - they aren't happy, they want changes, they don't like X player - as they are entitled to do, for then the virtue signalling few to come on and say things like "meltdown", "you're rubbish fans", "you're entitled" etc etc without actually adding any thing of any value.

Why not say "X isn't a bad player because of 1,2,3 reasons" or our "powerplay isn't bad it's that the opposition is doing X,Y, and Z" - but instead we have a section of fans saying this isn't good enough from the team and a woke section then come on and say the problem is you 'fans aren't fans'. Just doesn't add anything.

A forum set up to talk about the team, the players, the organisation then gets chastised for talking about the team, the players and the organisation.

But again we've seen it time and time again over the years, members spit their dummies out, storm off, slam the door and are back a few weeks later.
If members want to leave so be it, if people want to comment they're more than welcome. Not everyone agrees, it's just opinions. No one is making members read posts or making them comment. We're all adults not children.
Fair comment Kev, but do you really want people to leave over varying opinions. That’s what a forum is for as we hear all the time.
There would be no one left.
I’d debate the fact that every person responded like adults last night.

E.D.S.

It’s a long time since I last posted, but here goes. I am far from a happy clapper but let’s have a bit of perspective. Last night was a very poor performance and yes the 2nd period was unacceptable. Nobody will know that more than the owners, TK, Dupont and the players. I’m also (not yet) convinced by Dupont. I think he was lucky to have remained at the Devils last year after arriving as our 1st line centre, then being benched ‘injured’ and then being fortunate enough to take the plaudits when Skalde’s team won the 4 game playoffs.

However, saying all of that, let’s not throw the baby out with the bath water! The owners and TK have done an amazing job over the last 7 years to the extent that expectations are so high they are now suffering a little from that. However, we probably have a budget anywhere between 3rd and 5th highest and on paper we probably have a team to match that. We have no right to compete with the likes of Sheffield and Belfast on a regular basis but have over the past 6 years. This season we are struggling a little.

I agree with others on here that the balance of the team isn’t probably right at the moment and some players are maybe past their best. I think our D has been very disappointing and probably needs a change or at least a bit of competition in there. A couple of our forwards also haven’t started the season that strongly either, but I believe offensively we are not far off where we need to be and are scoring a decent number of goals.

We’ve had bad defeats before under Lord and always bounced back. Let’s at least give this team a chance to do that and show that they can be better.
This quote is exactly my point. You can sense DevilDom's frustration and that he/she probably doesn't agree with most of what's been written but at least you can now have a debate with DevilDom about hockey in Cardiff and not about whether you're an idiot of a fan.

Kevlar68

But you just nailed it fridaysfingers , it's people's varying opinions and someone couldn't accept certain opinions and then because they were questioned on that opinion, they washed their hands and left instead of maybe accepting or giving a counter opinion. It was almost a "I'm right, your wrong and that's the end of it and I'm hanging up"
With opinions no one is ever 100% right or wrong, so either stick by your opinion or change your opinion due to the discussion.

moggy#9

Its hard to compare Lord & Dupoint. Lord was a cult hero here, so fans will naturally give him more time. I think if Dixon had the Devils coaching job he’d be given a lot more slack from the fans than Dupoints getting.
I think that the key thing here is that lord was all about hard work and preparation even as a player. He built a reputation over a number of years. Dixon too had that. Dupont never built that reputation, due to the short time he was playing for us, and in some people's minds has failed upwards.

For what it's worth I think dupont has been forced to run before he can walk.