Giants Vs Devils - League - 6th Nov 22 - 16:00 FO

Mooney#16

It’s interesting to me that you name Martin as someone who is in the “doing well” camp, but not Cox or Sanford…

Personally Martin has been a massive let down, along with Jardine.
Jards is playing on one leg at present and having jabs before every game so granted he’s getting a bit of a pass.

Joey when I look at performances along with Coughler are the only guys I see playing 200ft hockey and producing an output on offence and defence. Brandt is doing exactly what he’s been signed to do.

I don’t dislike Cox or Sanford at all however Cox especially should be the MVP of this league. But he’s to inconsistent in his performances. Best player in league when on it but allows himself to be taken out of games when should be forcing the agenda. Sanford again great scorer but without Cox firing also disappears in games. These guys need to step out from being just good and become dominating.

jenks33

Jards is playing on one leg at present and having jabs before every game so granted he’s getting a bit of a pass.

Joey when I look at performances along with Coughler are the only guys I see playing 200ft hockey and producing an output on offence and defence. Brandt is doing exactly what he’s been signed to do.

I don’t dislike Cox or Sanford at all however Cox especially should be the MVP of this league. But he’s to inconsistent in his performances. Best player in league when on it but allows himself to be taken out of games when should be forcing the agenda. Sanford again great scorer but without Cox firing also disappears in games. These guys need to step out from being just good and become dominating.
It's a fair shout. Players not playing 200ft hockey has probably been an issue with the Devils for a couple of seasons now. As much as players like Ulmer, Bentivoglio, Morissette went through dry spells scoring wise they were unbelievably reliable defensively.

JC23

Fair play mate, it’s refreshing to have some good debate.

I applaud your view on things also, I think I need to spend more time watching Joey and what he’s actually doing out there, rather than just seeing his offensive output.

For me, Cox has been working his bag off 200ft, with the added pressure of an A this season too. Assists left right and centre.

Will be good to actually pay some attention to Joey’s game this weekend.

Mooney#16

If I’m honest I have problems with all the wingers. They aren’t controlling the points well when defending and too many shots are getting through. One of the biggest characteristics of Devils recent success was no matter who it was they would all lay down, put body on the line and block shots. This group pack too much of an ego for it. They don’t do the basics to win games and they need an education in what is required. Put in the effort and take the pain for victory not just the personal glory of stats and highlight reel goals. They have questionable team first characters. I do how ever stand by my previous that relative to yesterday. Todd should face the heat for it. Completely set the guys up for it with that fixture build up.

BostonBart22

Be surprised if any gassing will be done now before the weekend, Dundee and storm up and coming this weekend is a must 4 point weekend 1 or 2 players will know that and playing for their jobs, if those certain players dont perform thats the end of them, worrying thing in all this is the following weekend in the cc cup 3 dayer event, wouldnt be surprised if todd and co are looking at CVS to cover an underperforming defence..all will be revealed in time..

Fully understand Kev. Just annoys me that the threads after a loss descend into slanging matches with sweeping generalisations (ie, somebody said this team is shit). I’m interested to hear how people propose things are turned around - let’s hear solutions! Easy to call out the management/coach/team, but let’s hear YOUR solution!

Anyone bold/brave enough to provide it ?
I would look at a grade top shelf NM.
Bowns is a shadow of himself and just don't know how he gets out of the funk, and Taran as much as I like his style just isn't a starter.
Bring in a solid D man, Strachan esc. Find a like for like replacement for McNally, and sorry to say Brodie Reid needs to go, another that looks like he is on a jolly this season.
We usually bring in some decent season changers this time of year,fingers crossed it happens again

If he is playing with one leg, do what other teams do and bring in replacement ,let him recover and not make him play.

Last edited:

august04 2.0

I would look at a grade top shelf NM.
Bowns is a shadow of himself and just don't know how he gets out of the funk, and Taran as much as I like his style just isn't a starter.
Bring in a solid D man, Strachan esc. Find a like for like replacement for McNally, and sorry to say Brodie Reid needs to go, another that looks like he is on a jolly this season.
We usually bring in some decent season changers this time of year,fingers crossed it happens again
Bowns won’t be going anywhere. And I can’t see many changes being made, one if we’re lucky.

lloyd_jeff

I was going to basically say the same thing. Be careful criticizing Martin though. There'll be people out with pitchforks for you.
It is that sentiment that I believe is the main reason their in the squad. Its been obvious since Lord left that Todd picks the team. Bowns & Martin, both fans favourites, pretty obvious that was a decision based on ticket sales, and a punt on their talent.
Moving forward we need a coach coming from European Hockey who likes a bit of rough when required, capable of recruiting a squad. Todd stays in his office doing office stuff and let the experts in the role do their job unhindered.
This yr I’m not sure a few sackings will do much, I don’t see anything from Dupont to warrant the role at this point in time, in fact last night his coaching resembled his playing.
My fear though is mid table is the new normal going forward, if im wrong in my opinion of the owners profiting (libel cannot be claimed from opinion) & the owners aren’t reinvesting because the club doesn’t generate enough revenue, then getting out of that mid table will be tough. It also questions how many fans will continue coming when they realise getting 4th league place, a CC semi final & a playoff quarter final is a stellar result, that has some serious consequences.

Last edited:

terry hunt

I agree i dont think Bowns will be going the club have committed to him.
I have always liked Louis as a true Devil but being biased i dont think he is 100% fit.
Again with an admitted bias in favour of Register i am dissappointed in Thompson and Crawford with the club said to be tracking these 2 is this the standard they expected from them.
I am no expert on coaching techniques but i remember the Steelers game at home.The 1st period we were ok but the 2nd period seemed as though Fox had sussed out our weaknesses.Perhaps Keefe has done the same.
Are there people out there who can analyse us and spot our flaws.
As far as changes go are our experts studying our CC opponents to see if there are some gems to be found.
Please,please lets not go down the route of families and friends proposing ex players again

E.D.S.

I agree about Crawford. I just don't think he can play this standard or at least play the role we need. Thompson, I think has done well. He's not going to set the world alight but that isn't his role. I hate saying anything negative about Lou but he's been up and down. He started the season looking fit and has tailed off a bit. Against, Fife he led the charge on physicality and the Lou of old which energised the team. We have to play with that chip on our shoulder. We just haven't done it enough this season.

lloyd_jeff

Are there people out there who can analyse us and spot our flaws.
Yes, it’s highly likely Belfast & Sheffield have. With the increase in filming games, it makes coaching analysis easier.

As far as changes go are our experts studying our CC opponents to see if there are some gems to be found.
Don’t think we’ve got anyone employed beyond the use of agencies & contacts. Don’t believe we are investing in any scouting.

moggy#9

It is that sentiment that I believe is the main reason their in the squad. Its been obvious since Lord left that Todd picks the team. Bowns & Martin, both fans favourites, pretty obvious that was a decision based on ticket sales, and a punt on their talent.
Moving forward we need a coach coming from European Hockey who likes a bit of rough when required, capable of recruiting a squad. Todd stays in his office doing office stuff and let the experts in the role do their job unhindered.
This yr I’m not sure a few sackings will do much, I don’t see anything from Dupont to warrant the role at this point in time, in fact last night his coaching resembled his playing.
My fear though is mid table is the new normal going forward, if im wrong in my opinion of the owners profiting (libel cannot be claimed from opinion) & the owners aren’t reinvesting because the club doesn’t generate enough revenue, then getting out of that mid table will be tough. It also questions how many fans will continue coming when they realise getting 4th league place, a CC semi final & a playoff quarter final is a stellar result, that has some serious consequences.
Yes we have some problems at the moment, but we're not quite at a stage where we're being left behind. That said, it will happen one day and if I were Todd is be begging for ice to be put down in the new Cardiff arena (assuming it ever gets built). Significantly increasing our capacity, and so our spending power, will be the only way forward in the future.

kingmo19.1

Yes we have some problems at the moment, but we're not quite at a stage where we're being left behind. That said, it will happen one day and if I were Todd is be begging for ice to be put down in the new Cardiff arena (assuming it ever gets built). Significantly increasing our capacity, and so our spending power, will be the only way forward in the future.
You are obviously overlooking the fact that the gantry can accommodate circa 55,000 seats! In addition, to attract more visitors to the gantry, the new sprawling St David’s 3 mega shopping complex is opening up there on the weekend!

It was also good to hear that the Government has now approved the HS4 line, linking London, Birmingham and Manchester directly to the Gantry!

E.D.S.

Did you see Todd's article in the programme about capacity? As always he talked a lot of sense.

James

Administrator
Thread starter #398
Yes, it’s highly likely Belfast & Sheffield have. With the increase in filming games, it makes coaching analysis easier.
It's been a league requirement that games are recorded since the start of the league. There will be more pre-chewed statistical analysis available these days but there's been no increase in filming other than adding a few more camera angles

august04 2.0

Just can't see how this season turns around without a little shake up, unless owners, count there losses and work towards next season
I agree. I just don’t think we’ll do much about it. Settle for mid table mediocrity, maybe pick up the playoffs again if we find form at the right time. That’s as good as it’s getting this year in my opinion. Too much is wrong with this team to fix with a replacement or two.