Giants Vs Devils - League - 6th Nov 22 - 16:00 FO

jenks33

I agree about Crawford. I just don't think he can play this standard or at least play the role we need. Thompson, I think has done well. He's not going to set the world alight but that isn't his role. I hate saying anything negative about Lou but he's been up and down. He started the season looking fit and has tailed off a bit. Against, Fife he led the charge on physicality and the Lou of old which energised the team. We have to play with that chip on our shoulder. We just haven't done it enough this season.
Crawford will be compared to Register all season and at the moment he’s not offering anywhere near as much as Register offered. And it wasn’t always plain sailing with Register! He had his critics as well. I thought Thompson started off well but he’s gone off the boil for me. He certainly wouldn’t be my first name on the chopping block but he might be an easy target if they’re looking at getting rid of somebody.

Hockeymad

Crawford has 19 points in 22 games.

Cox has 18 n 13 games

sanford has 17 on 14 games

Coughler has 13 in 14 games.

Is that not good enough for you guys?

I agree. I just don’t think we’ll do much about it. Settle for mid table mediocrity, maybe pick up the playoffs again if we find form at the right time. That’s as good as it’s getting this year in my opinion. Too much is wrong with this team to fix with a replacement or two.
Just got a feeling that something drastic is happening this week, Todd won't accept that performance, especially against his old club

Wannabe2

Still can’t believe we conceeded 9, there’s being poor and there’s being shit, and god are we shit
Crawford has 19 points in 22 games.

Cox has 18 n 13 games

sanford has 17 on 14 games

Coughler has 13 in 14 games.

Is that not good enough for you guys?
Didn't the late, great football manager Bill Shankley say once that ' it isn't a matter of life and death....its much more important than that!!'o_O
He sure did, he also said there are 2 football teams in Liverpool. Liverpool and Liverpool reserves.

Hedd Wyn John

I think that the key thing here is that lord was all about hard work and preparation even as a player. He built a reputation over a number of years. Dixon too had that. Dupont never built that reputation, due to the short time he was playing for us, and in some people's minds has failed upwards.

For what it's worth I think dupont has been forced to run before he can walk.
Would make sense to pair him with a seasoned assistant but even then we bring in an inexperienced assistant coach.

I know Franny is often behind the bench too but but to me that's a sign the organisation isn't confident in it's coaches.

How many other teams have 3 coaches behind the bench?

ASHIPP

Just got a feeling that something drastic is happening this week, Todd won't accept that performance, especially against his old club
It's been obvious for some time that at least 1 new d man and 1 new forward have been required to really help us nail games instead of grinding wins. It's either lack of funds, lack of right player or the Club thinks they are doing OK which might explain the lack of said players. The Club is not in the habit of releasing personnel unless for personal reasons or have behaved in a way detrimental to the Club. Underperformers are simply kept and nutured sadly.
Something maybe in the pipeline....or maybe not. We just don't know.

Be surprised if something drastic happens. The law might be laid down but there will not be wholesale changes....financially can't afford to do it, and it would be a major disruption if a carousel of players was revolving whilst trying to play a tough schedule.

Someone earlier said the probability is that the fans might simply have to lower their expectations. Don't expect decent results and we won't be disappointed. Anything else is a bonus. This Club is a victim of its'own success and winning things is now in the DNA. Fantastic to set standards so high, but sometimes got to accept that there will come a time when teams are better than ours. It's obvious the Giants are on the ascendancy and are likely to be for some time.

Giants and Steelers have great rosters this year, helped by Aaron Fox's experience as a coach and player in Europe, and Adam Keefe's recruitment. Giants have always requited well.

Last edited:

matbur

Yes, it’s highly likely Belfast & Sheffield have. With the increase in filming games, it makes coaching analysis easier.

Don’t think we’ve got anyone employed beyond the use of agencies & contacts. Don’t believe we are investing in any scouting.
As someone mentioned above, all games are filmed and recordings provided.

Watching opposition and pre-scouting is a major part of the coaching staff's day-to-day role in addition to also analysing their own performances. Christian Horn in particular supports with this as far as I understand.

All teams will have a good idea of how their opponent are going to set up etc and I would expect that at least one session a week is spent with the team going over the previous game.

Kevin roog

forgot about the big two, I’m not so sure how much more of a budget Guildford and Coventry have over us, always rumours the flames have big Russian backers but have Coventry got a bigger budget than us,

jenks33

forgot about the big two, I’m not so sure how much more of a budget Guildford and Coventry have over us, always rumours the flames have big Russian backers but have Coventry got a bigger budget than us,
Dave Simms has always said Guildford’s budget is more than people think it is. If you look at their roster this season you would imagine that some of those players are on very decent wages. I’d be shocked if our budget wasn’t more than Coventry’s though. On paper our roster looks like it would cost more than Coventry’s

E.D.S.

Crawford will be compared to Register all season and at the moment he’s not offering anywhere near as much as Register offered. And it wasn’t always plain sailing with Register! He had his critics as well. I thought Thompson started off well but he’s gone off the boil for me. He certainly wouldn’t be my first name on the chopping block but he might be an easy target if they’re looking at getting rid of somebody.
Agree. Register was good, too risky at time but slow and was frequently beaten around the outside but he knew how to pick a pass. Thing is at our level, as we always say these players aren't going to have everything otherwise they wouldn't be playing at this level. I hope Thompson is nowhere near that chopping block but what do I know.

E.D.S.

Budget differences aside... a good coach can bring a team together and play a way that suits them, that's consistent, makes the most of the talent available and allows us to compete. I've missed the consistency, the leadership and the strong coaching interventions with this team. When I say consistent.... I don't expect us to win but I expect a consistent level of performance and effort.
Look at Danny Stewart. Seemingly smaller budget but I highly competitive team who often punch above their weight - invariably they run out of gas but it's usually an entertaining team brought together on a relative shoe string.
I can live with being 4th in the league if I see a team that fights (in spirit) week in and week out and leaves nothing in the locker room. We have the players to finish 4th or even 3rd but I don't think we have the coach. I hope to be proven wrong.

BostonBart22

Would make sense to pair him with a seasoned assistant but even then we bring in an inexperienced assistant coach.

I know Franny is often behind the bench too but but to me that's a sign the organisation isn't confident in it's coaches.

How many other teams have 3 coaches behind the bench?
Panthers just 1 coach..

Slartibartfast

A change is definitely needed but sometimes its not as big as we think. Look at the difference Coughler made last year. My feeling is one forward, one defenseman and possibly a new coach.
But there is so much that we don't know. When a team is this erratic there is often a reason. Over the years we have often found out much later what the problem is and it ranges from half the team carrying injuries, 2 players who hate each other killing the changing room, or one player sowing his oats where they really shouldn't be sowed. We just don't know. But I don't think that we have shit players. They are just playing shit as a team in too many games.

moggy#9

A change is definitely needed but sometimes its not as big as we think. Look at the difference Coughler made last year. My feeling is one forward, one defenseman and possibly a new coach.
But there is so much that we don't know. When a team is this erratic there is often a reason. Over the years we have often found out much later what the problem is and it ranges from half the team carrying injuries, 2 players who hate each other killing the changing room, or one player sowing his oats where they really shouldn't be sowed. We just don't know. But I don't think that we have shit players. They are just playing shit as a team in too many games.
As long as it's not a repeat of the Bob Phillips situation.