Giants v Devils - 09/10 - 7:00pm - League - Chat/Updates...

DevilDom said:
:shock: It must be all the extra money the Giants made from the Bruins game!

Great stats and should seal the league for them if he lives up to them.

Will he be here in time for Saturday's game?
I dont think we made anything from the game, TK made a post before the game that the Giants would only break even and most of the money is going to the local council etc who invested in the game and of course the NHL.

We are down two players so that frees up some money I would assume (Benny and Mason). He seems to be a real quality player and has put up crazy good numbers in the AHL. He may be 37 and abit slow, but he looks to be a physical player who can find the net. Somthing we need right now, when our game changer player Colin Hemingway isnt performing.

osh

DevilDom said:
philuk20 said:
We are down two players so that frees up some money I would assume (Benny and Mason).
I would assume you are still paying these guys whilst they are injured though?

More likely that they have a good injury insurance in place nand are able to bring in this sort of player.

DevilDom

osh said:
DevilDom said:
philuk20 said:
We are down two players so that frees up some money I would assume (Benny and Mason).
I would assume you are still paying these guys whilst they are injured though?

More likely that they have a good injury insurance in place nand are able to bring in this sort of player.
Ah I see. I wonder if we have such good insurance in place to pay Voth's wages whilst he is away injured?

TheStub

I wonder if this signals the end of the EIHL. With stupid money in a few teams, we are in the days of ISL mark 2. Two, maybe three season and this league will collapse without some financial controls.

I mean, even the NHL have wage caps. It helps make the sport more level and exciting.

Wage caps would be a good thing, but it has to be pitched exactly right, for both big and small teams.

Remeber the Giants nearly went under a few seasons ago, but seem to have done very well with uni places and a major sponser, also TK has worked wonders. The Bruins game will have helped and may be of benifit for the Giants future.

Its all very well people moaning about the bigger spending clubs but you have too look at how they achieve that.

Sorry for going OT.

Smyth to get at least 4 points. "high up glove side" ;)

James

Administrator
Fortunately soft shots up close are much easier than high up glove side. :twisted:
Of course playing against Shuff just 'High Up' seems to work.

TheStub

jester said:
Wage caps would be a good thing, but it has to be pitched exactly right, for both big and small teams.

Remeber the Giants nearly went under a few seasons ago, but seem to have done very well with uni places and a major sponser, also TK has worked wonders. The Bruins game will have helped and may be of benifit for the Giants future.

Its all very well people moaning about the bigger spending clubs but you have too look at how they achieve that.

Sorry for going OT.

Smyth to get at least 4 points. "high up glove side" ;)
As I just posted on another thread - we need wage-caps to make sure teams don't over spend... not to push out haves and have nots.

Maybe a wage cap in the short term that reduces the gap, but not close it?

osh

Wage Caps! The problem is, wage caps can never be policed properly. Each team can agree to a certain level and then simply abuse the system ( ex gratia payments from owners and individual sponsors) it really can't be controlled.

TheStub

osh said:
Wage Caps! The problem is, wage caps can never be policed properly. Each team can agree to a certain level and then simply abuse the system ( ex gratia payments from owners and individual sponsors) it really can't be controlled.
I almost don't care - as long as the league make a show of trying to (fines and point penalties etc) and there is the appearance of adherence.

I worry without it, things run out of control.

Hynod said:
Great signing, looks like Belfast are buying the league. They are the new Nottingham!
No body knows what the players are getting in wages, unless you know the accounts of each team.... All teams can come with in the wage cap, .. But some teams can then afford to throw in extra's like good housing, Uni places, cars, equipment, jobs for other half's, and other bonuses. Plus when players see things like good arena's, areas they live in, and well run successful teams, that always helps as well... What also helps the Giants this season is Todd Kelman bringing in sponsors like Air lingus. Plus good recruiting from Christiansen, with the help of other senior players in the team like Seeley this year who put forward Smyth's name, and Walsh last year who helped with recruiting some big name players....

I think tonight the Giants will win by a few. I still have not seen the team playing a good full game yet as they seem to play in spells, with a few guys still not firing on all cylinders yet. In fact it's our 3rd line that's probable been the most consistent so far this year... But the good thing is we are still winning games and once we start to find are rhythm this season I think we will be hard to stop.. The signing of Smyth could be a real gem, as he looks to me that he will be over a point a game in the EIHL this season if you look at his stats in much higher standard of leagues..

Shame Sawyer and Voth are not playing in this game..

Finny

Does anyone know if this game is being broadcast online?

In the past they have done it and though not up to the quality of other broadcasts, I might give it another go.

Finny said:
Does anyone know if this game is being broadcast online?

In the past they have done it and though not up to the quality of other broadcasts, I might give it another go.

Yes absolutely give it a go! I'll not rise to the dig but suffice to say that we have now got a new line into the arena through which there will be not 1 but 2 streams of the game. A 1.2 mb HQ stream for those with serious connections and a 400kbps stream for the usual contended BBs.

As a gesture of good will to all those that tried before and had issues the first period will be free to view and furthermore we will start the broadcast around 5:30 and it might just be a glimpse of a recent game playednot so long ago (like a week)

So tune in and if you like what you see register at Giantslive.tv and book some credits through Paypal in order to catch the 2nd & 3rd periods