Gerad Adams, Live!

Finny

Wannabe2 said:
Rempel16 said:
In regards to Macallister i got the feeling that G hadn't spoken to him at all, unfortunately :cry:

Seems we need to find another gem to replace Tyson too.

Excellent service but it has left me a little less optimistic now that we know the set up that G is going for.
What do you mean by that Remps, less optimistic now you know the set up G wants, bit of a strange one to me, could you enlighten please.
I'm slightly confused too.
From what I can remember - G said the offer he gave Campbell was the best and biggest he has offered to any player since he has been here. That shows that we are willing to bring in a top top centre. Proved by the fact that we have spoken to Tyson, Elich and Smith - but are waiting for players to drop their wage demands.
I can only assume that you are disappointed we aren't signing more fighters. But if we want to be challenging for titles - we need the all-round good scorers and puck carriers that G was suggesting we have been talking to.

I didn't think I could be more optomistic than I was before the Webcast - but somehow I am!!!

TheStub said:
Reggie won us the challenge cup in the 2005/06 season. Well, he scored the winning penalty after Remps scored the equaliser with nano-seconds remaining. :D :D

Still brings a huge grin to my face.

He had retired that season, and was brought over to add some extra fire power for the final run. He then came back for the play offs.

An amazing player, and I doubt we could have afforded him if we actually had to pay him. I remember in an interview him saying those were his last pro matches, if he valued his marriage :lol:
I beg to differ but Remps won us that game with his hat trick, Rejean was a great player and a really good guy but Remps was the star at that show.

Rempel16

Wannabe2 said:
Rempel16 said:
In regards to Macallister i got the feeling that G hadn't spoken to him at all, unfortunately :cry:

Seems we need to find another gem to replace Tyson too.

Excellent service but it has left me a little less optimistic now that we know the set up that G is going for.
What do you mean by that Remps, less optimistic now you know the set up G wants, bit of a strange one to me, could you enlighten please.
Yeah sure, I am less optimistic now for a few reasons. Firstly, going with 3 import d is a massive gamble, which failed to pay off with both Nottingham and Belfast this year, and us in 07-08. Now if G is planning on a bit of depth and playing himself on D then I am ok with that, but it was widely explained on here that Lyle was hung out to dry with the Giants and I am really hoping its not the same scenario here.

Secondly, in response to Finny, its not so much not enough fighters but I don't buy into the 'team toughness' that G has stated. Hartwick and Jarvis aren't going to step up to the big boys and like i have said previously, I feel Jarvis only played his ruthless aggressive game when he had Maciver to protect him.

Last year, Vipers aside, we bullied every team that came into our barn and I feel that playing at least half of our league games on smaller ice should make it a no-brainer that intimidation of the opposition comes into our team recruitment. Yes, we were one-dimensional but G seems to have gone to the other extreme rather than having a mix of flair and grit.
(perhaps i am being harsh on this point, but i was expecting a 9 foot 6 d-man in place of maciver :D )

I am respectful of the fact that sheff won the league with 'team toughness' but its far easier to play a boring defensive game on big ice!!!

Furthermore, I am appreciative of the current economic climate and all, but i am/was expecting two superstars for the top line and it is now evident that we can't even afford to bring sly back.

Just minor concerns thats all, I am hoping of course that I am proved totally wrong in my worries!!! The final four import signings will be testament to this.

Off topic a sec, what are your thoughts on Kostadine for the 3rd line? I heard his name mentioned during the season, good mates with Brad apparently.

Sounds like Gerad might have over-spent getting players like Voth and Lapulippe back and is now struggling to sign the geniune 1st line forwards :roll: ;)

J.B said:
Sounds like Gerad might have over-spent getting players like Voth and Lapulippe back and is now struggling to sign the geniune 1st line forwards :roll: ;)
Get back to your own teams website.... You complete clown....

You only come on here to cause trouble and before anyone says it, yes I have bitten because sound, reasoned debate is regulary spoilt by this muppet !

J.B said:
Ok I'll bite. If G is struggling to get top 1st line players then why would he have offered Campbell the biggest offer he had seen in his time with the Devils?

Offered ... as he did to Campbell, Teplitsky, Elich, Owen, Smith and Deschatelets. Anyone else see a theme emerging here :shock: You can offer all the money you want but players generally want the chance to win trophies ....

ASHIPP

harty#6 said:
anybody ever thought that g might not want to give the game away, and keep his cards close to his chest
I am guessing the same - he will not be giving away all the trade secrets in a public broadcast! My thoughts still go back to the vagueness about McAllister - G did not rule him in or out but merely said he would 'come at a cost'. Could mean he's been approached and is asking for too much or that he hasn't been approached at all.
G mentioned that a big offer had been made to Peter Campbell who went elsewhere - and that Sly and Mark Smith were asking too much money. They probably asked more than the offer made to Campbell - UK clubs are not going to pay over the odds. G will either play the waiting game for available players to be more realistic with their demands and/or, at the same time, be scouting abroad (and maybe UK) for guys with potential at an affordable price.

ASHIPP

J.B said:
Offered ... as he did to Campbell, Teplitsky, Elich, Owen, Smith and Deschatelets. Anyone else see a theme emerging here :shock: You can offer all the money you want but players generally want the chance to win trophies ....
God knows why Greg Owen has signed for Coventry, then. The Devils came closer to winning trophies last season than the Blaze did! :lol:

p.s. seeing as you've read so many of our posts, J.B.. you of all people will remember that Tyson stated months ago that he might retire/set up his own business or return to Canada.

Sliput

J.B said:
Oh bless your heart J.B.....

Wannabe2

Okay DONKEY BRAIN or son of PAYETTE, Campbell was offered a great deal but took a even bigger offer as did Neil Martin from you lot. Tysons decision was basically made up for him by his other half, Elich well he may be here and he may not, Owen we never wanted him anyway, Smith we would take Mark but only at a price as he wont win games on his own, and as for Sly well we didnt offer him a contract last season, so why would we this season at a much higher rate. Lastly my very good friend i will offer you a very very good bet, and this is it.
I will give £200 to the charity of your choice, if the Blaze finish higher than the Devils in this coming season, and vise versa when we finish higher than you guys.

This post has been edited!

The use of bad language wont be accepted (even when the rest of the word is blanked out), as hockey is a family sport and we have many members of all age ranges.

Any further breeches of this and your post WILL be deleted!

Kind regards
Richard

Very interesting, open and honest interview. I like the idea for this years team.
However I do hope that the 3rd line Import is a guy who can sometimes step up and take fights, cos otheriwise I feel enforcing duties will fall on Brad and teams will come looking for him and after last years issues that would concern me.

I guess we might be looking for Hartwick to enforce more than he has before, its not really his role, but hes the only one as I want to see Jarvis and Prpich on the ice and G around to take the lead in on ice coaching.

I dont think McAllister will be seen in a devils jersey and i dont really want him to either, Adams said in response to my question that he is currently looking at all new faces to the league (he could just be saying that but he seemed to be very honest about things like sharp :p so i'll take his word).
Just because he said Smith, Sly etc. were asking for too higher wage doesn't mean our forwards wont be of that calibre, he probably feels they are not worth that kind of money and as the summer ends player prices will drop so he'd rather wait it out than throw all his cards on the table right away.
J.B your an idiot.
Im quite happy with the style G is going for, yes it is a risk not having that very strong D in front of Lyle but i don't believe we will be hanging him out to dry as much as Belfast did, we've still got a relatively strong D and with Adams looking to bring in a tyson style player as his final import D i think as long as our 2 new first line players are good enough we will be getting enough goals to win games.
Lastly Reggie was an awesome player, that game was the highlight of my hockey days so far, i still get excited watching the DVD back now. I do agree though that Remps won us that game, it was really his night.

oh also, we dont need a tough guy player, few teams are going for that this season and so we have enough toughness in the team to get us through.

J.B said:
J.B. do you wake up every morning and think 'i'm gonna go on the-inferno and get those Devils fans in a huff?"

From what G said the last Defenceman will be a puck carrying and skating player (hopefully in Tyson's mold), so won't be McAllister or similar. I believe that with G filling in when necessary we will be fine. Clearly we will see more skating and passing out of defence and less intimidation at the back, but thats a good thing in many ways especiially if we have the forwards to benefit from it.
Anyway even if our guys do push up a little higher this year and join the attack, G will surely never employ as attacking a stategy as Thornton, so I don't think Stevie will get "hung out to dry".

ASHIPP

nmase20 said:
I dont think McAllister will be seen in a devils jersey and i dont really want him to either, Adams said in response to my question that he is currently looking at all new faces to the league (he could just be saying that but he seemed to be very honest about things like sharp :p so i'll take his word).
Just because he said Smith, Sly etc. were asking for too higher wage doesn't mean our forwards wont be of that calibre, he probably feels they are not worth that kind of money and as the summer ends player prices will drop so he'd rather wait it out than throw all his cards on the table right away.
Im quite happy with the style G is going for, yes it is a risk not having that very strong D in front of Lyle but i don't believe we will be hanging him out to dry as much as Belfast did, we've still got a relatively strong D and with Adams looking to bring in a tyson style player as his final import D i think as long as our 2 new first line players are good enough we will be getting enough goals to win games.
It doesn't matter who the new signings are - guys we know or completely new - as long as they fulfill the role and are the right quality. Some players are making financial demands that are not viable and G will simply be looking at all/other options. If we need extra grit and someone else to step up in addition to the Vother, I also hope that player fulfills the 3rd liner/'all rounder' slot rather than our Tyson replacement. We do need to maintain a strong D - a quality dman who spends his shifts on the ice not in the box. G is probably already on the case and it will be someone we don't know about.

Gazza272

The Devil said:
J.B said:
J.B. do you wake up every morning and think 'i'm gonna go on the-inferno and get those Devils fans in a huff?"

No thats the second thing, the first thing is ah [beep] i'm still to close to coventry