G given a month

Inappropriate on two levels:

1) The timing - team have just got a decent away win and have their starting nm back. not to mention playing an import down and fact it is G's testimonial season. This obviously isn't a factor in keeping or sacking a guy but G does well for the resources he has.

2) Going public - farcical decision. If PR wants everyone to turn up and back the team then drop the ticket prices, get bums on seats and turn it around.

G is not the issue. until sunday nothing seemed to click. everyone, fans included, could do with a boot up the backside. too many people blaming each other at the moment and the support only seems evident when we are doing well.

voth26

We need the atmosphe to be there so get rid of the drummer in block whatever hes crap, sometimes its like a graveyard in the bbt the amount of people who huff an puff because certain blocks ie 2/3 try to get things going maybe these people should try a chant they may like it

ASHIPP

Brilliant timing by the club - NOT. How to kill all the positivity and motivation for team and fans off the back of the Sheffield win.

Short memories indeed - Gerads contract extension was heralded with quotes of being the right man for the job......now after 3 weeks of competitive games he goes from hero to zero?

Our humble little team has consistently been taking on the arena teams in the final atages of the CC and playoffs for most of the seasons with Gerad as coach. Achievements in themselves when you consider all the injuries of the last 2 seasons. Achievements that most other teams in this league only DREAM of.

Its admirable for the club to have high ambitions in all compeitions BUT unless those targets are realistic and the team have the tools to do the job, the club is setting itself up for a fall by making public statements.

Is it any coincidence that those clubs that have had success in recent years:
1. Have a head coach who is allowed to do just that - concentrate on coaching not playing.

2. Have a consistent top class netminder who when injured is substituted by another good one and not a backup.

3. Arena teams usually littered with players who have played at the highest level and whose skill and experience can enhance coaching and tactics. Nearest Devils ever got was with Craig Weller.

Gerad has had NONE of these things yet team is expected to win everything! Go figure that one out.

Gerad has my unequivocal support.....and hopefully that of many many others.

Wannabe2

ASHIPP said:
Brilliant timing by the club - NOT. How to kill all the positivity and motivation for team and fans off the back of the Sheffield win.

Short memories indeed - Gerads contract extension was heralded with quotes of being the right man for the job......now after 3 weeks of competitive games he goes from hero to zero?

Our humble little team has consistently been taking on the arena teams in the final atages of the CC and playoffs for most of the seasons with Gerad as coach. Achievements in themselves when you consider all the injuries of the last 2 seasons. Achievements that most other teams in this league only DREAM of.

Its admirable for the club to have high ambitions in all compeitions BUT unless those targets are realistic and the team have the tools to do the job, the club is setting itself up for a fall by making public statements.

That has got to be one of the best qoutes ever, says it all really.
1. Have a head coach who is allowed to do just that - concentrate on coaching not playing.

2. Have a consistent top class netminder who when injured is substituted by another good one and not a backup.

3. Arena teams usually littered with players who have played at the highest level and whose skill and experience can enhance coaching and tactics. Nearest Devils ever got was with Craig Weller.

Gerad has had NONE of these things yet team is expected to win everything! Go figure that one out.

Not sure about the publicity, however G's tactics are all wrong, they were last season, the season before and again this season.
I think he can get the best out of a team, but he needs to be more imaginative and creative.

Personally I think you can over coach a team and maybe he should be listening to others and also learning from other teams tactics

Koop11

The owner (employer) has the right to challenge his coach (employee). I’m not a fan of it being done publically but this is the entertainment business and in the sporting world public statements are often a way of indirectly addressing the fans.

PR has put a lot of money into this club, arguably more this season than others, so I can understand his frustration with the home record. This is a results business and we have not had many.

That said, I think it’s difficult to judge Gerad this early into the season, especially when the starting goalie has been out injured. Saturday’s display certainly warrants the employer challenging his employee. There was no excuse for the poor display having had a healthier bench than the opposition.

However, on the rationale that it’s only fair to judge the coach on games when the starting goalie has been available then we have 2 wins out of 3. 2 wins out of 3 and the coach is being given an ‘ultimatum’. That is ridiculous!

I can’t help think this is a rather twisted way of gaining publicity, getting fans to down the rink to support G. If not, then I really do question the Devils management regarding this statement. It’s obvious that they read this forum because statements on the Devils website or through the Echo reflect hot debates on here very often, ala today’s statement. So, as they are reading this, I wish to tell them that they are insane. Challenge the coach of course. Threaten to gas him after 3 weeks into the regular season - stupid. Plain and simple.

Earnie

ASHIPP said:

Well said ASHIPP
Professional Experienced Management would have kept the detail of that meeting between PR/G/Brent a private matter.

Kipper

Was it G and Franny who stuffed up the sponsorship deal with Cardiff Business School? No. Was it this foul up that lost us Frank Doyle? Yes. Has the person responsible for losing that deal been held accountable? Probably not!! Despite this G and Franny unearthed a former NHL goalie to replace Doyle and persuaded him to play in a plastic tent. Is it G and Franny's fault that LaCosta suffered a double concussion? No.

Judge the coaches when they have a fully fit roster, a half decent budget and supportive back room staff

Wannabe spot on! totally agree with your comments.
Adams is by far the best coach for the Devils.
Been away on holidays so I missed the pre season and ensuing games, got back for Nottingham and Sheffield.
On ice we look tight and nervous. The atmosphere is absolute crap! It is clearly not helping!
Drown out the rubbish new drummer. Get the crowd involved and support the efforts. We have lifted our team many times before. We can do it again.
To those out there who boo at the end do you really think the team go out there to loose? Even sadder! Simmsy commented on it in the highlights footage. Hope you are proud of that contribution!
A couple of home defeats and the moaner get on the forum. I challenge you to get to the next game and get involved support and chant make some noise it will lift the team as well as raise your apparent low level of enjoyment. I guarantee you.
Happy Hockey days will surely return.

BostonBart22

the new off ice entertainment doesent help, month into the season the players dont even know the new intro yet, or is it still being made, the players should have been coming out to a new intro from day one, you be surprised how it pumps up players b4 a game, in my opinion mumbles and co. have gone backwards since paul was released, big mistake that, bring back paul and see how pumped up the players and crowd would be, fight fire with fire, born free, etc and even paul singing anthhem would give us a goal start. bet mumbles cant even speak welsh. :RAWK

Skippy

BostonBart22 said:
the new off ice entertainment doesent help, month into the season the players dont even know the new intro yet, or is it still being made, the players should have been coming out to a new intro from day one, you be surprised how it pumps up players b4 a game, in my opinion mumbles and co. have gone backwards since paul was released, big mistake that, bring back paul and see how pumped up the players and crowd would be, fight fire with fire, born free, etc and even paul singing anthhem would give us a goal start. bet mumbles cant even speak welsh. :RAWK
So its the music that's causing the problems ?

Mooney#16

In no way do I think g should be getting publicly called out like this with the start of the season still fresh. Fair enough call him in the office. Ask for his answers to the shocking home form. Ask for his action plan going forward and then let him get on with it. Why give a small percentage of ignorant fan base the satisfaction of seeing the guy walk the coals in public.

Week in and week out I see coaching and tactical issues from the Devils but I think G is still a work in progress as a coach. I know nothing of what G does to improve himself as a coach be it clinics, seminars etc but do think he needs to diversify his tactical bases as the league improves to maintain a competitive edge but we are talking about a player coach here which is the toughest job in hockey. Ragan budgets a player coach and gets what he pays for. You can't really compare his performance against those of full time professional coaches fairly and even then he has out coached Thommo the last few years. Corey has only seen Nottingham rightfully to top of the tree after hanging up the skates and Finner fluffed his lines in Shuff. Big Doug the career climber is struggling in Sheffield so it's not all about G under performing. I think Devils fans and Management need to stop and have a brief reality check.

For me G does a good job. Could he do better. Yes of course. Couldn't we all in our own jobs. But to go public is disrespectful. Ever get behind him or fire him. But to appease the mob by putting him in the stocks. Bit spineless.

Mooney#16 said:
In no way do I think g should be getting publicly called out like this with the start of the season still fresh. Fair enough call him in the office. Ask for his answers to the shocking home form. Ask for his action plan going forward and then let him get on with it. Why give a small percentage of ignorant fan base the satisfaction of seeing the guy walk the coals in public.

Week in and week out I see coaching and tactical issues from the Devils but I think G is still a work in progress as a coach. I know nothing of what G does to improve himself as a coach be it clinics, seminars etc but do think he needs to diversify his tactical bases as the league improves to maintain a competitive edge but we are talking about a player coach here which is the toughest job in hockey. Ragan budgets a player coach and gets what he pays for. You can't really compare his performance against those of full time professional coaches fairly and even then he has out coached Thommo the last few years. Corey has only seen Nottingham rightfully to top of the tree after hanging up the skates and Finner fluffed his lines in Shuff. Big Doug the career climber is struggling in Sheffield so it's not all about G under performing. I think Devils fans and Management need to stop and have a brief reality check.

For me G does a good job. Could he do better. Yes of course. Couldn't we all in our own jobs. But to go public is disrespectful. Ever get behind him or fire him. But to appease the mob by putting him in the stocks. Bit spineless.

Totally agre with all of the above, What support do the club give G with his devlopment as a coach, and have they offered him any assistance in this ?

The modern management approach would be to offer an employee training to help him develop his skills, before going down the final warning route, but do it or your sacked just comes from the Dark Ages and to do it publicly is akin to putting someone in the stocks, so much for moving forward

Absolutely useless man management from the organisation and not a good example to set your coach in man management to enable him to get the most out of his team.

Not that I am taking side as for me I still believe it is to early in the season to call for the coaches head but that's my opinion and everybody is entitled to there own.

But what is wrong with publicly announcing this ultamatium??

You pick and read papers up everyday with news of professional football managers who may be for the chop. The reason they do this is for you the fans.

You have moaned about the poor on ice performance and this is how they let us know they are doing something about it. You complained, they reacted!

G is a pro coach, who may be experiencing this uncomfortable situation for the first time. But as a professional should be able to turn things around and deal with the pressure. If he can't then hes not got all the credentials he should have.

And for those who complain that Brent will be our replacement and thats not good enough. Well this is just speculation you havn't a clue! Do you even know Brent would want the job? You say there's nobody else, but thats crap!

Lastly for those who keep saying they need to look at the off ice performance before pointing the finger at G. Rubbish things could be better, alot better here i admit. But what brings fans through the doors is a good performing, winning team. It doesnt matter how good the webcast is. This doesn't sell tickets!

Chris

Administrator
Not that I am taking side as for me I still believe it is to early in the season to call for the coaches head but that's my opinion and everybody is entitled to there own.

But what is wrong with publicly announcing this ultamatium??

You pick and read papers up everyday with news of professional football managers who may be for the chop. The reason they do this is for you the fans.

You have moaned about the poor on ice performance and this is how they let us know they are doing something about it. You complained, they reacted!

G is a pro coach, who may be experiencing this uncomfortable situation for the first time. But as a professional should be able to turn things around and deal with the pressure. If he can't then hes not got all the credentials he should have.

And for those who complain that Brent will be our replacement and thats not good enough. Well this is just speculation you havn't a clue! Do you even know Brent would want the job? You say there's nobody else, but thats crap!

Lastly for those who keep saying they need to look at the off ice performance before pointing the finger at G. Rubbish things could be better, alot better here i admit. But what brings fans through the doors is a good performing, winning team. It doesnt matter how good the webcast is. This doesn't sell tickets!
This.

phil PLT said:
BostonBart22 said:
bet mumbles cant even speak welsh. :RAWK
What the hell has that got to do with it? As a non-welsh speaker should I stop supporting the Devils :DWD
Bet Mac comes out from that dressing room and thinks to himself id score a hatrick today if only I could here a rendition of Sosban Fach!