Fixture change ?

TheStub

Prickly Pete said:
I'd give an extra fiver if they got rid of the idiot who agreed to this, surely both parties must agree to a fixture change, if not I hope we move the next home panties or squeelers league game to the night before one of their semi final games!!!!!
I guess the league impose their will. But perhaps we need the tent to be unavilable for the semi - and then have to move it to make the Panthers travel that little bit extra.

Finny

osh said:
Well, there we have it. Its now on the Devils website, for what ever reason the Devils management have failed to avoid playing on this date, so I would only add that I hope they have the good sense to fly up on the 17th and back on the 18th. If they still persist in travelling up and back by coach I - for once - will be lost for words!
I wouldn't. There would be so many problems with flying up and especially back that I would have thought a coach would be more sensible.

I know you said £75 return on your earlier post - but I can only assume you have found a cheaper website or not added the taxes because when I used skyscanner (which adds on taxes etc at the start) it would be almost £120 per person. I wasn't able to check if there are enough seats for the whole team as it only lets you book a maximum of 8 people online.

Plus, coming back........ 07:45 flight ?????
You would be looking at getting to airport at the latest 06:45, and more likely 6am. Dundee is more than an hours drive drive from Edinburgh - so you're looking at waking the players up around 4.30am. Unless of course you get a hotel near Edinburgh airport - but then you would have to question whether that would be ideal.

Coming back, there is no doubt in my mind that getting straight back on the coach would be the better option. They can sleep on the coach and would be back home by the time they would around 6am. Straight back to bed and their Saturday game day is hardly affected.

If I was in charge - I would drive them up by coach on the Wed, stay overnight Wed night, play Thursday and drive straight back after the game. Assuming the finances were there to pay for the one nights accomodation obviously.

Finny

Finny said:
If I was in charge - I would drive them up by coach on the Wed, stay overnight Wed night, play Thursday and drive straight back after the game. Assuming the finances were there to pay for the one nights accomodation obviously.
Obviously I meant drive up Thursday, play Friday and drive back Fri night/Sun morning. :oops:

osh

Finny, in that case, thank god the decisions not up to you. It would appear we have different opinions on most things, so let me comment on your previous post. As I travel quite a bit, I checked and doubled checked the flight prices when I posted. Firstly, when I originally quoted £75.00 return, that included all taxes and there were plenty of seats available. Also, discounts are offered for party bookings so that would have reduced the cost if they had been booked at that time. So please don't make assuptions that I hadn't included for taxes etc.

Secondly, you seem surprised at flying at 7.45 am, horror upon horrors! The players would have to be at the airport for 6.45 am! How difficult would that be if you are staying at an airport hotel ?? You wouldn't be driving from Dundee as you have stated. Anyone with any sense would drive to Edinburgh after the game itself in order to be closer to the airport, so thats another misconception on your part ( no drive from Aberdeen early morning) By flying, they would be back in Cardiff with plenty of time to go home. sleep, be refreshed and prepared for what is sure to be a huge game. I would add that all kit to be taken up seperately so as not to incur baggage charges.

Yes, players can sleep on a coach, just how comfortable they would be in single seats for a 12 hour journey is hugely debatable. You say you would drive up on the Wednesday, stay overnight and drive back immediately after the game if hotel expenses were there to pay for it ! What you are proposing is not beneficial to our players welfare at all. We are putting a huge amount of emphasis on the Panthers game, yet what you are suggesting will not help our players prepare for this game as they could and should ! As always you will disagree with what I have written, so please do not expect me to reply further.

osh

Clare said:
Thank god for that.

If I were in charge, I'd boycott the game. That would really screw everyone over! Except the Devils of course.
As usual Clare, a very informative and constructive post! Obviously you don't care what happens. At least Finny and I have, even though we disagree.

No... I do care. If the Devils want to have any chance of getting into the CC semis - which is probably the only trophy they have a good chance at - they should boycott the Dundee game. They can make up points later. They wont win the league but they'll still be in a very good position for the play offs.

osh

Clare said:
Anyway, I didn't think you were replying any more?

If you read my post correctly, you would have seen that I was not intending to reply to Finny !
Now, as for you, glad to see you can now manage to post without your usual expletives!

Carp, I forgot to drop one in.

That better?

Anyway moving on. The Devils will be 100% ready to kick kitty ass if they boycott. Plus, it'll be rather funny if Sky have nothing to broadcast! It'll really show the so called leaders who is boss.

Gazza272

Clare said:
Crap, I forgot to drop one in.

That better?

Anyway moving on. The Devils will be 100% ready to kick kitty ass if they boycott. Plus, it'll be rather funny if Sky have nothing to broadcast! It'll really show the so called leaders who is boss.

No It really wont,we would be cutting off our nose to spite our face. We would also pretty much make sure that the EIHL board unanamously make us more outcast than we sometimes already are.

We've been dealt a bad hand, let's deal with it. No whinging the best way to answer is with 4 points.

DevilDom

Gazza272 said:
No It really wont,we would be cutting off our nose to spite our face. We would also pretty much make sure that the EIHL board unanamously make us more outcast than we sometimes already are.

We've been dealt a bad hand, let's deal with it. No whinging the best way to answer is with 4 points.
Whilst I agree with the sentiment its too often that "we are dealt a bad hand" and its too often that we have to accept it and get on with it.

Can you imagine this happening to the Panthers, Steelers, Blaze or Giants? No it just wouldn't happen.

This is the most blatant attempt to manipulate results that I have experienced since following Hockey and it absolutely stinks.

I really hope we stuff the Panthers out of site in this game - eliminating the steelers and making the Panthers finish 2nd in the group and probably have to play the Giants. Unfortunately this is now not unlikely to happen. I think the best we can hope for now is to somehow hold on for a draw and scrape through.

Finny

Clare said:
No... I do care. If the Devils want to have any chance of getting into the CC semis - which is probably the only trophy they have a good chance at - they should boycott the Dundee game. They can make up points later. They wont win the league but they'll still be in a very good position for the play offs.
Who says we can't win the league?
We are 6 points off the top spot with 3 games in hand. The top teams will now start playing each other most weekends and so points will be dropped.
We on the other hand have already played lots of games against the top teams, and are in the middle of a run of games we should be winning.

Thread starter #57
Finny said:
Clare said:
Who says we can't win the league?
We are 6 points off the top spot with 3 games in hand. The top teams will now start playing each other most weekends and so points will be dropped.
We on the other hand have already played lots of games against the top teams, and are in the middle of a run of games we should be winning.

Exactly what i was saying to my other half tonight !! who would have believed not so many weeks ago that we would be so damn close to the league leaders, if we can keep this up who knows :)

Did some diggin at the rink tonight and it seems:

1. The club knew about the fixture change approx 4 weeks ago.
2. Both clubs would have to agree to any fixture change before any revision.

Thread starter #59
Prickly Pete said:

Well if thats true what a joke we are ! Who is the person in charge (Devils) they are certaintly not doing a good job .

dmd said:
Prickly Pete said:

Well if thats true what a joke we are ! Who is the person in charge (Devils) they are certaintly not doing a good job .
I don't think Mr Ragan would be where he is today without being a pretty canny guy to deal with. I think with the league and the rink there are a number of battles ongoing, and he needs to pick his moment; this just may not be the right one. If he kicks off about everything, the people he is complaining to / trying to work with will soon stop taking any nuisance.

It will be interesting to see what unfurls from the office during the season.