Final Squad Predictions

zoesdevil

Pleximan said:
Ocko said:
If Ulmer isn't on the radar this year he certainly won't be next, he's like 39 isn't he?

Crossed wires here ☺
I believe the Ulmer being talked about here is Lane Ulmer of Asiago.....Not Jeff Ulmer who wowed us all about 10 years ago during his short but goal filled stay with the Devis. Yes Jeff is 39....and goals now or not, that's too old....In my opinion.
But Jeff Ulmer has started following Lord, Franny, Todd & Steve King on Twitter!

Mooney#16

I wouldn't be at all surprised Bentivoglio and Ulmer signed. The thing that lost Devils the league last year was despite what appeared to be a deep offence they didn't score enough goals. Finished 7th in league scoring I think. Those guys would certainly fix that. The Devils last D sure needs to be a physical lump (not fighter) but a bang and crash own the slot type of guy so expect a big unit there. The question for me is will Hendo sign as a spare.

I get people saying we look small but we also look fast and we now have big ice at home. Devils style of play is going to fundamentally change this season and the need to bang and crash so much isn't there anymore. Look at Blaze in play offs. Light weight team but there fore check destroyed the Devils as it was so fast and unrelenting. If Bentivoglio and Ulmer sign I'll be very excited. That offence will be an absolute powerhouse and with Fournier and the Hothams the goals for column should see a pretty big number. Highest in the league I'd wager.

I think that team set up would provide an abundance of skill and points whilst also providing team toughness with Lord, haddad, Myers, x2 Hotham and of course batch ( a now legitimate heavy weight).
Jeff ulmer would cause havoc in this league even at 39, has found the net in every league he's played in and when you look at his resume that is freaking impressive. And although I'm not too sure of the level of the Austrian league he's put up biggish points consistently. I do see the point about big tough D-man to not get bullied but would hate to see Russell leave and the thought of having him as well as bentivoglio and ulmer is insane.
With that although a big ask of him I think batch is more than capable of handling himself against any of the big boys signed in this league so far. Big responsibility for him but more than capable.
What ever happens this team is taking shape nicely

zoesdevil

Devil2493 said:
I think that team set up would provide an abundance of skill and points whilst also providing team toughness with Lord, haddad, Myers, x2 Hotham and of course batch ( a now legitimate heavy weight).
Jeff ulmer would cause havoc in this league even at 39, has found the net in every league he's played in and when you look at his resume that is freaking impressive. And although I'm not too sure of the level of the Austrian league he's put up biggish points consistently. I do see the point about big tough D-man to not get bullied but would hate to see Russell leave and the thought of having him as well as bentivoglio and ulmer is insane.
With that although a big ask of him I think batch is more than capable of handling himself against any of the big boys signed in this league so far. Big responsibility for him but more than capable.
What ever happens this team is taking shape nicely
Scott Hotham in best season got 39 points in 52 games
Weller got 11 in 45 games
Ulmer best got 42 in 54 games & 37pts in 54 last season.

So I think it looks a very good league. As we all saw what Weller did in his season here before going to the Austrian league the season after ours.

ASHIPP

It would be massive mistake to expect Josh to take on the lion's share of toughness.....no tbecause he is incapable of standing up to the Janssens and Fitzgeralds of this world ( he is certainly more than capable)..... but he wants to develop his skills as a defenceman even more next season.

Just reading back his interiew on the official website when he re-signed, it is crytal clear he does not want to be regarded as a one-dimensional player only good for dropping the gloves

Am sure the Club will support Josh to refine his obvious skills even more. And am sure at least one of the remaining import signings will provide some additional real toughness.

Saying it would be there if needed. Wouldn't expect or want josh to go out looking for a fight but to play the role he has done so well last 2 years. Play solid defensive hockey and stick up for team mates if necessary.

Ocko

Having seen the season with Jon Cullen where we blew everyone away with skill and speed, yet we were bullied and suffered over the long haul as a result. I personally don't want to see that again. I'd prefer us to sign a cheap knuckle dragger and get Ben Davies to fill in on the 3rd line.

We haven't just lost Salters remember, we also have lost Marsh - who was also tough. If we don't need get Hendrikx or a legit heavyweight to replace him I do fear for us a bit. Lord and Haddad aren't sufficient back up for Batch.

osh

Ocko said:
We haven't just lost Salters remember, we also have lost Marsh - who was also tough. If we don't need get Hendrikx or a legit heavyweight to replace him I do fear for us a bit. Lord and Haddad aren't sufficient back up for Batch.
Haddad ? He does what is asked of him, but he can hardly look after himself against the bigger built players, let alone step in for a team mate. A power forward and big D man needed in my opinion, both of whom able to step up to the plate when required.

ASHIPP

osh said:
Ocko said:
Haddad ? He does what is asked of him, but he can hardly look after himself against the bigger built players, let alone step in for a team mate. A power forward and big D man needed in my opinion, both of whom able to step up to the plate when required.
The fact is all of our rivals have signed up some level of nastiness. I hope the Devils are nastier and more ruthless than that.
Because some games will just be like that. And I don't mean fighting. Skill and speed is fantastic but there were occassions last year when the team was 'out-toughed'.

I accept defeat. Just the thought of those 4 forward lines had me drooling. But you can't have that kind of set up without the players having a feeling of total freedom to play, and to have that you do need nastiness. So it is a final 3 imports to sign?

Finny

I don't think we need to go out and sign a knuckledragger. Lepine was mentioned earlier and someone like him would be ideal. Very tough but can also play.

And I don't think you need to have fighters to stop your team being bullied. You just need physical players. That year with Cullen we didn't have many physical forwards. This year we already have Lord, Haddad, Myers, Hervato who are all happy to throw their weight about. It would be nice to have another physical forward but as Mooney pointed out it was goals that eventually cost us last season.

Mooney#16

My final squad prediction. Devils will sign 15 imports to start the season. Benti and Ulmer look fairly nailed on so two physical lads to follow.

Mooney#16

He lies like cheap watch. If that's the case that last D will need to have an edge. I'm no fan of having your main physical guy on the back end especially as Batchy is also a D. A good flair up and you could lose a whole D pairing.

On the flip side Steelers did win league with Fitzy on D so it's not a guaranteed fail. The did get Desbiens up front to spread the load however.

Now if Devils pulled Jim Vandermeer or a younger slightly more aggressive clone out of the hat. Tidy darts.

Temme

matbur said:
Piggot is not classed as an import, no?
No; born in Canada but UK trained so therefore doesn't class as an import.

Fitzy gets a lot of stick; as you'd expect for someone doing his role, but as a matter of fact he is a very capable hockey player.

As tough as they come, throws big hits (several on our players last year come to mind), and keeps top players on other teams from doing their job.

His work on Doucet last season particularly stands out.

if you've got to pick one of the tougher D men on your team from last year then Fitzy stands out over hendo/nickerson & the others.

terry hunt

Just looking up Jeff Ulmer and he hasnt signed with anyone nor has his brother Jason.

He seems to be interested in the Binghampton Senators who curiously have Lepine on their

roster.

Binghampton have also appointed an old name familiar to many as Head Coach none other than

Kurt Kleinendorst who had one summer ruined by Nicky Chinn at the playoffs.

Jeff Ulmer played for the Bingo Sens in their inaugural season and he scored the first goal for the franchise. I believe he still keeps up to date with team events, writing articles for a team blog.

He's an excellent player and has proven himself consistently over the years in all the different leagues he's played in. He was a joy to watch during his brief stint with us back in the 2003/04 season. Scored a hat-trick on his debut at the Skydome against Jody Lehman, having only just arrived in the UK and without having any time to practice with the rest of the team.

His hat-trick in Nottingham was also quite special, especially the goal he scored on the volley, directly from a face-off. The Panthers goalie didn't even twitch, the puck went past him that fast :lol:

Thread starter #40
With Zach announced as leaving and now requiring an extra euro player could the rumours of Jeffery Szwez be correct.

So;

Jeffery Szwez (euro)
Sean Bentivoglio (euro)
Jeff Ulmer
Big power forward