Final Squad Predictions

Thread starter #1
With the team nearing completion I was wondering if anyone had any predictions as to what players people were thinking may be signed or what the final squad could shape up to be.

Based on who impressed last season and who has been rumoured to be joining I was thinking something like below:

Asselin - Bentivoglio - Russell
Lord - Martin - Morissette
Haddad - Myers - Doucet
Hervato - Davies - Culligan
Jones - Piggot

Batch - Fournier
Richardson - A. Hotham
S. Hotham - Lepine
Buglass

I would take that team for sure! As much as I like Hendrikx, I do think Lepine would be a good upgrade. Has established himself as an AHL level player, and is hard as nails. Knows the league well too.

Big_Mac

love the look of that squad - not sure Lepine would be an option as he seems to be established in the AHL at the moment, but would be a great addition if he could be persuaded.

Even though I'd love to see Davies back I don't think it's going to happen. Today's press seems to add to that.

I think we will see CJ with a set 4th line role and the team will set up similar to.

Asselin Bentifoglio* Doucet
Lord Martin Morrisette
Haddad Myers Culligan
Big forward Jones Hervato
Piggott

With the defense pretty similar to you have it, maybe not Lepine but that type.

ASHIPP

MattHuskie said:
Even though I'd love to see Davies back I don't think it's going to happen. Today's press seems to add to that.

I think we will see CJ with a set 4th line role and the team will set up similar to.

Asselin Bentifoglio* Doucet
Lord Martin Morrisette
Haddad Myers Culligan
Big forward Jones Hervato
Piggott
With the defense pretty similar to you have it, maybe not Lepine but that type.
This....but that first line surely needs a tough big gritty forward to create some space/ give physical support to the others on that line? As it stands those players are all smallish in stature.
WOL article suggests Devils have their British corps completed...so no room for Ben Davies.

I hope the Devils recruit their maximum import allowance (14)....with no spares. Think that

Ocko

I don't think that first line needs a big forward. Pure skill and speed will mean teams won't dare line match a goon against them, they'll be exposed. The NHL doesn't really do the whole big gritty player on a skilled line anymore either. All need good hands these days.

But, the teams listed above are lightweight. There are some big heavyweights in the league this year, we need something to negate that. Otherwise Batch will be very busy, and I don't particularly like D men in the tough guy role. With a likely 4 lines this year I would hope it's a fourth line role player like a Janssen who we can afford to sit a 5 minute major.

Devil94

Re: Final Squad Prediction

Yup, and especially with us having Bownsy in net, gives us extra freedom to do this. I'd like the d-man to be a big body, but not necessarily a fighter, then one more playmaker/sniper and a big aggressive power forward to complete the roster.

How many more imports can we sign?
With recent happenings on Twitter it looks possible that bentivoglio and Jeff ulmer could possibly be coming our way (bentivoglio more so with the Asiago connection with Hotham). If that were to happen could we still sign Russell plus 1 more D? Or is that one too many?
No matter what happens if those offensive names are in the pot then our offense will be stacked this year.

If not I'm going with this line up
Asselin-bentivoglio-ulmer

Russell-Martin-Lord

Haddad-Myers-Doucet

Hervato-Davies-mo

A. Hotham-Richardson

Culligan-S. Hotham

Fournier-batch

Pleximan

I think we need to add a 4th line power forward, Andrew Lord's Hotham interview does seem to alude to this. I guess it depends on what is left in the budget. I would imagine if the right player becomes available then the move will be made.

matbur

Agreed with above poster; if we have a player of Doucet's quality on the third line then it says a lot about the qualify of our forwards

Pleximan

The names of Bentivoglio and Ulmer being bandied around I believe are a bit premature as Devils signings. I would imagine those players would probably enter into the thinking of the Devils management for future Devils, next season maybe the year after.
It is quite common that some signings take a couple of years to come to fruition.

For me, I believe we will be signing a tough forward (who must be able to skate and contribute to scoring on the big ice) and a tough blue liner. It's taking a bit more time to sign them because they have to be the right fit for a Championship seeking hockey club.

I am confident the management will reveal 1 or 2 solid signings that will provide good protection to the roster as well as being legitimate competitors.
It takes time to get the right players.

Pleximan

Ocko said:
If Ulmer isn't on the radar this year he certainly won't be next, he's like 39 isn't he?

Crossed wires here ☺
I believe the Ulmer being talked about here is Lane Ulmer of Asiago.....Not Jeff Ulmer who wowed us all about 10 years ago during his short but goal filled stay with the Devis. Yes Jeff is 39....and goals now or not, that's too old....In my opinion.