Fans Presentation Evening - Thursday March 10th

Chris said:
Fair comments Chris, you support your team, and i will support mine. Just out of interest though why are you bothered that we are having a night out celebrating this event, and if you are not bothered why the negative comments. Strange water up there in Nottingham. ;)
Well, you're the first person to actually suggest I support the Panthers, so congratulations on helping some people to win the competition I guess.

Why am I bothered? Have you actually read my previous posts? Perhaps not, so here goes again. I posted because i'm apparently not the only person to think that other clubs haven't/don't hold events like this either themselves or via their fanbases because they don't celebrate mediocrity. I have no idea what the maximum number of games we've won in any 1 season since the start of the EIHL is, but should I be preparing my 'negative' posts now incase an event is organised to celebrate winning more games across the season than usual?

Chris.
Just look at is a a couple of fans are impressed with winning 22 games on the trot, as it doesnt happen very often in our sport (Or any ) thought it was a good effort by the team. Asked the team if they fancied a night out with some fans for a drink or two. The players could have said no, fans could have said no......

It has nothing to do with not celebrate mediocrity or celebrating what may turn out to be another average season....its just a night out where the fans get to meet and talk to the guys they pay out shed loads of money to watch.

I wont be going but thats purely due to location but i think its a great idea.

Wannabe2

Thanks Twinkle, the response has been very very good, sorry you cant make it, it will be a very good night.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS

ASHIPP

Am I missing the point, but I am struggling to see how a 22 game winning streak and a top 3 league finish (at the very least) could possibly be described as 'mediocre'? :?

One of the things that makes this club different is the relationship between the fans and the players - what other clubs and their fans do or don't do is their business.
Yes, we do pay shed loads to go and see them (by choice) - they in turn repay us by producing the fantastic hockey we've been celebrating all season.
A celebration of the most exciting team the Cardiff Devils have had for years - one of the last chances for fans to get together with the team, especially if you can't afford to go to the end-of-season dinner.

Chris

Administrator
Am I missing the point, but I am struggling to see how a 22 game winning streak and a top 3 league finish (at the very least) could possibly be described as 'mediocre'? :?
Because i'm of the view the 22 game winning streak means nothing if we fail to win any of the competitions this year, apparently that's the wrong view to have, but I don't plan on changing it anytime soon.

We're also yet to finish 3rd, there is still a possibility that the Panthers could overtake, however unlikely that possibility is, it still exists.

Chris.

I'll borrow Chris's fireproof suit for this post.

The winning streak was awesome and I'm so glad I got to see it - however, if I were one of the players, I couldn't help feel a little disapointed and slightly embarassed by the celebrating a World Record winning streak but still failing to win the league (barring a miracle).

I'm sure there'd be a few of us laughing at Sheffield / other teams if they'd beaten a world record but failed to win the league and thought it was cause for celebration.

It's been a awesome season - certainly the best in the 3/4 season's I've been watching the Devils - but I think it'd make sense to have left this until after the season (hopefully with a play off trophy).

Finny

To be fair to Chris, he does live away in Nottingham and so didn't get to go to many games during that winning period and so probably didn't get the same experience, excitement and enjoyment that the rest of us did.

A

Anonymous

If you think it's a good idea - GO
If you don't think its a good idea - DON'T GO

Does it really need to be debated ?

Who would of thought that after 5/6 games this season we'd be anywhere near winning the league?
Where did you think we would finish out of interest 1st, 2nd, I doubt it.

So many pessimists on this site I'm afraid !!

While you're at it, can you also point out that (up until know) this years team has only lost at home 3 times ( 2 league games and 1 ccup game). The first time v Belfast 3-4, 1st home game of the season on 5th sept, 2nd time v Coventry in challenge cup on 16th Oct, and, 3rd, Sheffield in overtime on 19th Feb. Which makes it a 21 unbeaten in regulation time at home streak.

Chris

Administrator

Who would of thought that after 5/6 games this season we'd be anywhere near winning the league?

Well as the forum is here for debate, i'm going to post my views, no matter how much people may not like them.

If there's too many pessimists, feel free not to post here. No one is forcing you to come up with replies to posts, almost everyone else has managed to discuss it normally.

Chris.

A

Anonymous

Chris said:

Well as the forum is here for debate, i'm going to post my views, no matter how much people may not like them.

If there's too many pessimists, feel free not to post here. No one is forcing you to come up with replies to posts, almost everyone else has managed to discuss it normally.

Chris.
That was/is my opinion, can I not post my opinions? Feel free not to post here? Goodness me ! :lol:
What happened to attack the post not the poster ??

A

Anonymous

ledgend777 said:
Zed - You asked "does it need to be debated"? I think Chris was just saying it can.
Yeah, in a rude and childish manner. No need for that, mod or not !

cf38 said:
While you're at it, can you also point out that (up until know) this years team has only lost at home 3 times ( 2 league games and 1 ccup game). The first time v Belfast 3-4, 1st home game of the season on 5th sept, 2nd time v Coventry in challenge cup on 16th Oct, and, 3rd, Sheffield in overtime on 19th Feb. Which makes it a 21 unbeaten in regulation time at home streak.
anyway - going slightly off topic - that home record is awesome. According to ih-update our home record is the best in the league beating Steelers by 4 points despite playing 1 less game. Unfortunately we're 4th and a massive 10 points behind Steelers when it comes to away games but still a massive improvement on last season home and particularly away.

Wannabe2

Its certainly correct that people have the right to express there views on this forum, at the end of the day thats what its for, some people dont think its right to have this get together with the team, and some do, and probably evryone is right in there own way, but the tickets have gone well, and no one has forced anyone to go. So for those not going no sweat, and for those that are, see you there.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.

A

Anonymous

Its certainly correct that people have the right to express there views on this forum
Correct. So why is it when I have mine I'm told that I'm free not to post. What's all that about? I have been reading the Inferno for years and years and don't feel that comment was required.

I've read countless threads about nights out/meet the players/awards etc etc and certain posters slate the idea. They are then told to button it and not to go rather than just moan or whinge about it.

It's a night out with our hockey team. I fail to see how anyone can extract any bad or any negatives out of that. People say the winning streak will accumulate to nothing if we don't win silverware, but without the streak we wouldn't be so close to winning the league for the first time in how long?

Along with the streak we have (currently) 4 players in the top 8 highest points scorers, Pelle has hit 51 goals, not to mention the best standard of hockey many of us have even seen.
As one of the posters signature says:

ITS OK TO HAVE FUN

Mediocrity (a person of second-rate ability or value) (ordinariness as a consequence of being average and not outstanding)
Chris, just how many games have you watched this season, and of them just how many did you leave feeling that was a second rate, ordinary, nothing special mediocre Devils team you had just watched?

Right from the out set of the season, I sat and watch the team and stated that the teams play had moments of genius and said to my girl friend if they can string them together they would be something special going forward. The moments of genius did start to come together, and soon they were on the winning streak. The performance on the ice is something for the most part every one involved at the club can be proud of, yes they have had off days and yes that has cost the team but they are human and if they were perfect do you think they would be playing in the EIHL?

The current Devils team have made me proud, When I get my season ticket out, I look at it knowing that its the best money I have ever spent.
I for one wouldn't begrudge any one in the Red Army saying thanks for the memory's in acknowledgement of the fact we took 22 games in a row. Both the Fans and the team deserve it. I have my ticket and I will be there on the night.

One last note, if any team can come back from here and win every game left its ours. Yes we will need a bit of luck as well but its not over until its over and then there are the play-offs.

Wannabe2

What a great post, everything i feel said so perfectly, one saying stays in my head from a well respected Devils fan, and that was THIS TEAM HAS BEEN A JOY TO WATCH, yes we have had our blips, no we are not perfect, but for a very long time we have been a joy to watch. Hopefully a win now on Sunday, and who knows what can happen. See you guys on Thursday.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.

Wannabe2

Well we are joint top at the moment, yes it will change by Wednesday, as the Stee;ers take on the Giants, but it makes Thursdays night out more interesting, we could be celebrating a lot more come the season end. One things for sure this team certainly are making us very proud of them, and i for one cant wait to tell them. See you guys on Thursday, dont forget if you dont have a ticket you can pay the £2 on the door.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.

Well its all about the number 22 - not only the 22 wins in a row, but also last nights game was the 22nd game in a row, at home, unbeaten in regulation.... Well done Devils and enjoy your night :)