Fans Presentation Evening - Thursday March 10th

Finny

Chris - not sure if you realise this but it isn't being arranged by the club. It's being arranged by a group of fans - at least I think it is?

It was a world record for a senior club and I don't think that is mediocre at all.

Chris

Administrator
I'm well aware it's not being organised by the club, I don't think I mentioned anything like that anywhere in my post...

If a new world record was set, why does there appear to be nothing on the Devils website about it? I've not gone through every news article, but there's nothing on there that seems to suggest anything was ever confirmed by the Guinness people.

Chris.

Wannabe2

Chris said:
dont think this have ever been done by any other club, there again there aint many clubs like ours. Its a thank you from us to them.
Whilst I won't be attending mainly/entirely because I live in Nottingham at the moment and can't afford to travel home for Easter, never mind anything else, I don't appear to be the only one ,, who's thinking that the reason other clubs have never done such a thing is because they don't celebrate mediocrity like this appears to be doing...

Was the winning streak good? yes, that cannot be denied. However it doesn't appear we set any sort of world record, nothing has been said since the last few games we won on that streak, and since it came to an end we've hardly been the all-conquering team we were - for a variety of reasons.

I imagine this is going to go down about as well as my other post tonight in the 'what no news thread' but it seems strange that really all that's being celebrated is a new league record despite crashing out of the Challenge Cup and now being 11 points behind the Steelers although with 3 games in hand it's 'only' potentially 5 points.

I'm not convinced by the 'showing the team we support them' argument either, surely the numbers of fans turning up at the games shows they still have support?

Chris, now sporting flame retardant clothes.
Firstly Chris you are entitled to your views as everyone are, you say you wont be attending due to mainly entirely living in Nottingham, does that mean you would have if you, were still living here. If celebrating a 22 games played, with a 22 games win is mediocrity, then bring on more mediocrity i say. This night out was first started when the team was indeed on fire, does that now mean that we should totally knock it on the head, myself i think not, just my view of course. Have the wheels dropped off the team lately, it appears so, but doe's that mean they should drop off the fans as well, if the answer to that is yes then we maybe should all call it a day, and let this great club go down the pan, thats certainly not what i and many many others would want. Just for the record i would like to say this.
Where we punching above our weight, being top of the league, are we a lightheavy weight team in a heavy-weight league, having a average of 1800 fans opposed to 3,4,5-6000 paying fans, i am as frustrated as many by our decline, but there certainly must be reasons. Would we be still top if we had a additional 10-20,000 pounds per week coming through the turnstiles, how much of a impact did losing our highest energy player, and 2nd top scorer for 5 games have on us, and on our 3rd line. To me losing Tylor is like losing 2 imports, he is that good, and inspires all around him.
How much of a impact on us doe's this have.
Goals scored by Brits up till Feb 17th
Steelers 82 goals.
Panthers 74 goals
Coventry 64 goals
Devils 39 goals
Would another 43 goals to the Devils have taken us over the Steelers, i think so, but we have a budget, this is not a slight on our Brits one bit, but other top teams can afford more, and it shows. Panthers have used 15 imports this season in the quest for glory, and Belfast 14, as they can afford to cover injuries and poor signings, money talks. We are all dissapointed by our dropping in the standings, but there are many many reasons and these are just a few why, being the most hated club by the league hierarchy is another major factor, and the list goes on, losing Tylor for 5 games 2 of which was against the Steelers did'nt help, as those games were tailor made for his style of play. Do i still beleve in our club, of course i do, do i look at them through rose coloured glasses probably at times yes, am i a hockey anorak and pretty sad definately yes, do i think we will take the Play-Offs, without a shadow of doubt i do, are we a smallish club playing out of a inferior home to others, and punching above our weight i believe so, and are 1800 devils fans worth 6000 of any other clubs, doe,s the Pope wear a funny hat. Rant over have a great weekend.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.

Chris

Administrator
Firstly Chris you are entitled to your views as everyone are, you say you wont be attending due to mainly entirely living in Nottingham, does that mean you would have if you, were still living here.
Afraid not, because i'm of the view the winning streak doesn't mean a great deal if we don't win anything this season. If the loss had been a one off and we hadn't fallen over so badly perhaps my view would be different.
Have the wheels dropped off the team lately, it appears so, but doe's that mean they should drop off the fans as well, if the answer to that is yes then we maybe should all call it a day, and let this great club go down the pan, thats certainly not what i and many many others would want.
What? Surely supporting the team at the games is more than enough when they've yet to win anything? Also as with my post above, the winning streak being a world record doesn't appear to have been confirmed anywhere, and if you read Terry Phillips article, we were 4 games or so off the record according to the Guinness people who actually set the records...
Where we punching above our weight, being top of the league, are we a lightheavy weight team in a heavy-weight league, having a average of 1800 fans opposed to 3,4,5-6000 paying fans, i am as frustrated as many by our decline, but there certainly must be reasons. Would we be still top if we had a additional 10-20,000 pounds per week coming through the turnstiles
No, because to have those extra fans we'd need a bigger rink/arena to play out of, and with that comes extra costs. As it is, Finny has mentioned our break even figure being around 1800, so we're on about the same level as the other teams.
Would another 43 goals to the Devils have taken us over the Steelers, i think so, but we have a budget, this is not a slight on our Brits one bit, but other top teams can afford more, and it shows. Panthers have used 15 imports this season in the quest for glory, and Belfast 14, as they can afford to cover injuries and poor signings, money talks.
Panthers have spent more money and are still below us in the league, if we can win the game in hand we have over the Giants, we'll be level on points, so where has this money helped them?

We don't appear to have suffered any major injuries to our imports this season, other than perhaps to Voth, but that re-signing debate is for another thread. injuries have been to Brits, and there's not a great of them around to replace the ones in this league, even with Belfast and Nottinghams money...

Chris.

TheStub

The issue with the world record is the fact that currently Guinness don't list an ice hockey win streak record. So it is now one of proof and definitions.

The only team that Guinness believe are ahead of us are a junior development team in Canada. So as far as has been prooved by all parties, this was a record for a fully professional team.

Note to Terry - if you are going to copy posts at least verify the facts.

Finny

TheStub said:
The issue with the world record is the fact that currently Guinness don't list an ice hockey win streak record. So it is now one of proof and definitions.

The only team that Guinness believe are ahead of us are a junior development team in Canada. So as far as has been prooved by all parties, this was a record for a fully professional team.
This is my view too.

Wannabe2

Fair comments Chris, you support your team, and i will support mine. Just out of interest though why are you bothered that we are having a night out celebrating this event, and if you are not bothered why the negative comments. Strange water up there in Nottingham. ;)

Chris

Administrator
Fair comments Chris, you support your team, and i will support mine. Just out of interest though why are you bothered that we are having a night out celebrating this event, and if you are not bothered why the negative comments. Strange water up there in Nottingham. ;)
Well, you're the first person to actually suggest I support the Panthers, so congratulations on helping some people to win the competition I guess.

Why am I bothered? Have you actually read my previous posts? Perhaps not, so here goes again. I posted because i'm apparently not the only person to think that other clubs haven't/don't hold events like this either themselves or via their fanbases because they don't celebrate mediocrity. I have no idea what the maximum number of games we've won in any 1 season since the start of the EIHL is, but should I be preparing my 'negative' posts now incase an event is organised to celebrate winning more games across the season than usual?

Chris.

Well somebody has stated we got the world record in pro hockey

The 1990 Peoria Rivermen

Coached by Bob Plager, the Peoria Rivermen not only claimed their second IHL Turner Cup championship, but also set a world professional hockey record with 18 straight wins between Oct. 6, 1990 and Nov. 22, 1990.

The team, a farm club of the St. Louis Blues, finished with a 58-19-5 record and easily won its IHL title with 121 points.

In all, the team set 41 world, professional, league and franchise records while playing before
300,000 fans, making the Rivermen the most watched local team in Peoria sports history.

I think that the players should be congratulated on this streak by the fans :)

The Rivermen were led by four standout offensive performances.

David Bruce led the team with 64 goals and 62 assists for 116 points while Nelson Emerson was 36-79--115, Dave Thomlinson 53-54--107, and Michel Mongeau 41-65--106. Bruce was named the league's Most Valuable Player by the Hockey News while Plager was named Coach of the Year.

Emerson was named Rookie of the Year and Mongeau was voted the playoff Most Valuable Player after scoring 26 points in 19 playoff games with 10 goals and 16 assists.

In Cup playoffs, the Rivermen whipped Milwaukee four out of six games, took Phoenix in seven, and toppled Ft. Wayne in six for the final playoff record of 12-7.

Of the 34 players who appeared for Peoria in this historic season, 22 went on to play in the National Hockey League.

Update:

On Saturday, 8th January 2011, the Cardiff Devils of the Elite Ice Hockey League in Britain achieved a world record with a 6-5 win over the Nottingham Panthers, their nineteenth straight victory.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Longest_winni ... z1F6HVE63H

Wannabe2

I would have thought so, sorry you cant make this one. Okay everything is in place to have a great night, your night on the 10th March at O'Neils, lets get the place rocking, and re-live the memorable goals of this season, and show the guys we are 100% behind them.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.

ASHIPP

Wannabe2 said:
I would have thought so, sorry you cant make this one. Okay everything is in place to have a great night, your night on the 10th March at O'Neils, lets get the place rocking, and re-live the memorable goals of this season, and show the guys we are 100% behind them.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.
Looks like a fair few names down already for tickets, Wannabe. :cool: Was told they will be available tomorrow night at Hull game.

Wannabe2

Sorry about that, tickets will be available at tomrrows game v Hull, was hoping they would be available at the Panthers game, but they werent ready, so apologise for that. Its been a while since we have all got together without the pressure of hockey, so lets all have a beer, relive the goals of the season, and chat to your favourite player. This is your night, a fans night, and the players are very appreciative of your very kind gesture, lets turn up in our droves and show these guys exactly what a Devils fan is about.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.

Wannabe2

A huge thank you to all the good folks that bought tickets for this great nights entertainment, the response has been awesome,it will be a truelly great night, your night, and a night the players will relish. For those who didnt get tickets tonight, they will again be available at the Clans match from the devils merchandise stall, next to skate hire, and at the rink shop, also payable on the night. Thanks again to you all.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.