Devils Vs Steelers - 20th & 21st - Chat /Updates

Devil94

Although highly disappointing to lose last night, I was expecting and kind of hoping for a split weekend, just the other way round. Got to remind myself of that. If we would have lost twice, we would be in trouble. As it is, we haven't lost ground on Sheffield, still in the stronger position. If we win a tough game on Thursday we'll be widening the gap again. Happy days.

ASHIPP

A rapid return to simple, tight defensive play is what is hoped for after last night.

Going to a place like Belfast with only a two goal lead is a nervous scenario. A lead like that can be lost in minutes. Steelers scored 3 in less than 10 last night.

Several away sucesses for Devils have resulted from outstanding defensive hockey this season...let's see one tomorrow (remember last year's CC final p3? Awesome display)

Culli is the most versatile player on the roster at the moment. Has he had a bad game yet?
Surely it's common sense to ice those players who are consistenly playing well?

Have Hope#35

There is no way Cully deserves to be scratched and although there's no one playing awful and it's a tough decision we shouldn't just be rotating Cully and Hendrikx on the Big Ice/Small Ice scenario. There are Forwards i'd be scratching before Cully, he shouldn't have to be playing on Defense in order to get a game! There's around 10 games left and I think most of our Imports could do with a night off after the recent busy schedule.

As others have said, I don't think we can attribute the result tonight to the shocking refereeing that took place - ultimately the Steelers were more clinical with the opportunities they were given, and on that basis I think they deserved to win.

That said, I don't think I've ever seen such a poor display from a referee before in any sport. I wonder if it's down to the fact that when a team like Sheffield, who aren't particularly popular with us Cardiff fans, comes into the BBT the refs know the fans are going to be on their backs all night and end up overcompensating by being harsher on our boys. Could be wrong, but I can't think of any other reason why the refs were so keen to call penalties on us when there was just as many (if not more) of the exact same fouls being committed by Sheffield.

The fact that Haddad was given a penalty for tripping when he was just competing for the puck against the boards felt like a slap in the face given how many times their players were tripping ours in the corners or on the charge.

And as for Hudson's goal and what took place after, that was abysmal. Firstly, I don't know why the goal wasn't given - did they rule that there was goalkeeper interference or something? From where we were sat, it looked a great goal, but obviously it was chalked off. That in itself I could take, but what happened after was bloody disgraceful - I assume from what others have said on here it was Roy on Lord, as I couldn't make out who it was exactly that was involved, but to throw down an opposing player face first into the ice while they're celebrating (and completely unawares) is, quite frankly, disgusting. No wonder it sparked a reaction from Hoth, and for the refs to miss that and then call a penalty on Hotham and Fitzgerald for a complete non-fight where Fitzgerald got more handsy with the linesman than anyone else was appalling.

I'm not one to call players out for getting banned - if you play hard, that's fine by me, but what Roy did was completely out of order and I hope that he is picked up for it. Yes, hockey's a physical game and that goes up a notch when two teams who clearly have no love for each other are playing, but that kind of thing, there's no place for it in this or any game, it was shameful.

Kal

I'm glad that wasn't the last game in the BBT because it would have been a horrible way to leave it. We were poor, the refereeing was poor and the Steelers were poor they just took the chances that we gift wrapped for them.

The goal that wasn't really baffled me, I was sat that end and apparently Lord hit Pinc and that's why he got hit by the Steeler. I didn't see it and honestly think neither did Darnell or the lino's and it's just how the Steelers reacted made them think that is what happened.

It was hard enough to accept Darnell disallowing the goal when Lord was outside the crease area but Darnell also let Roy get away with cheap shoting Lord and let Fitzgerald of all people get away with roughing up the linesman without any penalty. Roy should have got at least 2 minutes and Fitzgerald could have easily been given a major penalty of some kind for abuse of an official.

Those were just 2 of the many non calls on Sheffield during the game. Mr. Darnell should be trying to explain himself to the league today, I think!

backrow said:
It was hard enough to accept Darnell disallowing the goal when Lord was outside the crease area but Darnell also let Roy get away with cheap shoting Lord and let Fitzgerald of all people get away with roughing up the linesman without any penalty. Roy should have got at least 2 minutes and Fitzgerald could have easily been given a major penalty of some kind for abuse of an official.

Those were just 2 of the many non calls on Sheffield during the game. Mr. Darnell should be trying to explain himself to the league today, I think!
To be honest, after the abuse handed out to Darnell from Sheffield fans over Twitter and complaints from PT after the disallowed goal in Sheffield on Saturday, I suspected that Darnell could, consciously or unconsciously have given Sheffield a little help. I have no idea if the goal waved off on Sat was the right call or not, but it generated a lot of debate and maybe he wanted to even things out on Sunday. Probably should have been a different ref tbh on Sunday night. Now I have no idea who is going to win this league as your run in is horrendous and Sheffield have, on paper, the easier run to the finish line. Would be mortified if they managed to snatch it as tbh, as a Panther fan you guys have been by far the best team I have seen all season long and it would be a shocker to see the title remain in Sheffield.

Mooney#16

Quite frankly at this point in the season who cares what unfolded. It's a split weekend. Steelers earned back no ground on the Devils. Steelers needed the four points to put it briefly into their hands. They failed in the opportunity. Whatever yesterday's performance was like to be frank it doesn't even matter as they got the job done Saturday. I'd say Devils can feel pretty confident. It was a weekend to get a result and they delivered. Just keep on trucking. It's in there hands un like the other teams.

E.D.S.

Agree with most on here. Split weekend isn't the end of the world and probably what most people wanted, just not in the way it happened.
Darnell was shaping up to let the game flow and early doors seemed to be letting most things go which was adding to the game and then it sort of went a bit pear shaped for him. The Fitzy incident is a classic. You see this so many times. Two guys get in a push and a shove. One wants to fight and the other doesn't so he puts both in the box. It's almost as though that's the easiest call to make, rather than fully assessing the situation and accurately making calls. That's my frustration. You had one guy helmet off, gloves dropped and throwing punches and the lino having to restrain him. Then you have the other guy who has his helmet knocked off, has his gloves still on and is avoiding a fight and he gets the same call. Lazy and frustrating reffing.
Also agree with what others are saying about the star D pairing. Hotham's give aways and lack lustre plays in our zone are frustrating as hell. Great going forward. No arguments there but some times and this is just sometimes he can needless give the puck away and put us under pressure.
Great season though folks. All good fun.

E.D.S.

Agree with most on here. Split weekend isn't the end of the world and probably what most people wanted, just not in the way it happened.
Darnell was shaping up to let the game flow and early doors seemed to be letting most things go which was adding to the game and then it sort of went a bit pear shaped for him. The Fitzy incident is a classic. You see this so many times. Two guys get in a push and a shove. One wants to fight and the other doesn't so he puts both in the box. It's almost as though that's the easiest call to make, rather than fully assessing the situation and accurately making calls. That's my frustration. You had one guy helmet off, gloves dropped and throwing punches and the lino having to restrain him. Then you have the other guy who has his helmet knocked off, has his gloves still on and is avoiding a fight and he gets the same call. Lazy and frustrating reffing.
Also agree with what others are saying about the star D pairing. Hotham's give aways and lack lustre plays in our zone are frustrating as hell. Great going forward. No arguments there but some times and this is just sometimes he can needless give the puck away and put us under pressure.
Great season though folks. All good fun.

I only watched the game via Icetime TV but it looked like all our defencemen, apart from Hendo and Batchy were trying to play the puck in dangerous areas and at times they all seemed to panic when a steelers player was near them It's great having puck playing defencemen but there is a time and place for it and on Sunday they were caught out which contributed to at least 2 steelers goals. I only hope this doesn't cost us the league. On the positive side, I'd rather be in our position with a month to go in the season and I'm sure Lordo and the team will learn from this.

Hutchy069 said:
I only watched the game via Icetime TV but it looked like all our defencemen, apart from Hendo and Batchy were trying to play the puck in dangerous areas and at times they all seemed to panic when a steelers player was near them It's great having puck playing defencemen but there is a time and place for it and on Sunday they were caught out which contributed to at least 2 steelers goals. I only hope this doesn't cost us the league. On the positive side, I'd rather be in our position with a month to go in the season and I'm sure Lordo and the team will learn from this.
Hendo and Batchy looked our most solid D pairing, but I think the way Mosienko played this weekend was enough to instil panic in most defences in this league. He really was on fire as his 5 goals would suggest. We finished the weekend pretty much as we started in regards to the Steelers, two points each but with another two games ticked off the run in. We gave ourselves a great opportunity by winning in Sheffield on Saturday, but I think they edged us on Sunday, and there is no shame in that. It's not as if we didn't put the effort in. As fans now is not the time to get on edge, Lord has said all season how the players feed off the atmosphere and if we tense up I'm worried the team will too.