Devils v Steelers - 27/11 @ 18:00 - League - Chat/Updates

James

Administrator
very unusual for a player to be thrown out in the FIRST period for a double abuse of an official.
I'm not sure on the etiquette of such things and it did seem really odd to throw someone out like that in the first period. Would the ref be within his rights to do it if he had had continual problems with a player giving him abuse over a number of games to say 'ok enough is enough' ? Not saying that's what happened but it could be a reason.

Devil_Abroad

I'm not sure on the etiquette of such things and it did seem really odd to throw someone out like that in the first period. Would the ref be within his rights to do it if he had had continual problems with a player giving him abuse over a number of games to say 'ok enough is enough' ? Not saying that's what happened but it could be a reason.
Is this different in his home league? Or maybe he'd had enough of constant chirping from Steelers and Desbiens went way too far? I don't see why they're so upset at that non call - it's great play holding him up after faceoff - players do it all the time - so to call that as interference we'd have 20 power plays and penalty kills a period.

Steelers definitely need someone to proof read their game reports published on their website - 'With Desbiens out of the picture after being interfered with' [emoji15]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mooney#16

When it comes to abuse of official calls the players take their destiny in their own hands. Its pretty simple. Shut up! The whole reason soccer is such a farce in this is refs don't take a stand and if they do fans attack them for it. Schmejkal clearly has a low threshold for it and thats his perrogative to enforce. I wouldn't question him on any of those calls. I'd support him on making the players conduct themselves accordingly. Its good he officiates a game with that high a standard expected. If you're line in the sand is established and consistent then its the players discipline that is in question not the referees application.

Kal

I'm fully behind the no nonsense when it comes to abuse of officials, we don't appear to do it cuz i believe Lord is a big believer in respecting the officials no matter how much you disagree with them. The league should really be taking action against the Steelers today for publicly blaming the official and Fitzy personally for his tweet about it

Finny

I don't think anyone will argue the Haddad hit on Neilson was bad. But it was missed because the puck was gone and the officials were watching that.

But was it really that much worse than Fitzgerald's hit on Lord shown on the highlights?

Finny

If John Donovan is correct in his interview with Lord that Thommo wasn't happy with the interference on our first goal then Thommo is an even bigger hypocrite than I thought.
First with Blaze and now with the Steelers, his teams are the interference kings. Watch the highlights and count the number of times their players try to step into one of our players to stop them chasing the puck carrier.
Ulmer didn't even do that much wrong. All he did was stop their playing going straight through the face-off, which if he head as a coach you're be furious.

Devil94

If John Donovan is correct in his interview with Lord that Thommo wasn't happy with the interference on our first goal then Thommo is an even bigger hypocrite than I thought.
First with Blaze and now with the Steelers, his teams are the interference kings. Watch the highlights and count the number of times their players try to step into one of our players to stop them chasing the puck carrier.
Ulmer didn't even do that much wrong. All he did was stop their playing going straight through the face-off, which if he head as a coach you're be furious.
Absolutely. If a ref called those every time the whistle wouldn't be out of his mouth. If we hadn't scored from that shot then no one would have batted an eye lid.

I don't get half the comments on this thread.
We're sat top of the league, winning both pretty and dirty games and we're into the next stage of CC... and you're moaning because Bordy isn't dropping the gloves on everyone?!?!?! Grow up!!!!
When its needed, Bordy will more than happily step up to the mark! But in the meantime, we dont need to be beating everyone up on every hit / crosscheck / looks at a player the wrong way!! And why does it have to be him?? People seem to have missed out that we also have Batch, Lord, Haddad, Hotham... all big guys who we've all seen will drop the gloves before now.. why are people not asking the same about them?
How about looking at the team to stand up for each other rather than wanting them to run crying to Bordy like a kid running to his parents after being bullied! Bordy is not there just to bully and beat people up... yeah that's on his CV but he is first and foremost A HOCKEY PLAYER! And a damn good one at that .... some of you seem to be missing that ... all you seem to see is a goon that's there to hurt people.
Take yesterday for example...
Hotham gets punched in the face by Fitzy.. Bordy attempts to come OFF THE BENCH to intervene but Lordo (I believe) stops him! Great from Lordo! Saved Bordy from most definitely getting chucked from the game for coming off the bench to get involved! Yeah nothing was given by the officials at the time when it should have but if you listen to the crying Steelers fans, that seemed to be the theme of the night. Get over it.

Then Myers gets crosschecked 4+ times by Fitzy in front of net. Now most of you have seen Myers playing hockey long enough to know that he loves that position and will quite happily sit in that area all game.. and a hockey player does not go to the net to screen and expects not to get some physicality from the opposition... that a hazard of the role that he plays. Now yeah, Fitzy nails him a few times and Myers takes it.. gets back up... down again... back up... whistle!
Scenario 1: 2+2 penalty for Fitzy, 4 minutes left in the game and Sheffield now have to go up against one of the top Powerplays in the league for 4 minutes! Myers is laughing at the fact hes drawn the penalty! Laughing! I seen it! We go on to score and win the hockey game and more importantly, take a valuable point away from Steelers

Scenario 2: Someone gets involved, starts a fight, both take 5 for fighting and we don't score on the PP for the 2 minutes Fitzy would have got for the crosscheck (we score 2 / 3 seconds into the 2nd of the 2 minute penalties.

These guys are pro hockey players and those of you crying for Bordy to fight are acting like they need babysitting. Everyone is capable of looking after themselves and throwing big hits. In the past few weeks, we've seen CJ run through Keefe, Hotham smash Rosehill and last night Piggot hammered Fitzy. Players are playing physical. We dont need a decent hockey player sitting 5 minutes every single game for fighting when he has done a job by just being there! Unfortunately he cant police 60 minutes of hockey, it would kill him.. but the fans need to get off Bordys back about not fighting when its not always needed. Just because he can doesnt mean he has to do it every single opportunity he gets!

Electro

Nobody is asking Bordy to fight every game.

He has more to offer, but his actions clearly show a frustration, at what, l don't believe it's because he wants to constantly fight and get blown out of an important games.

I believe he's frustrated being on a line that prevents him from getting on the ice and in the heads of the people causing the damage, he may well have been able to draw a penalty on a player and possibly removed. Maybe Lord is not prepared to take the risk.

Which ultimately asks the question is someone of Bordy's skills financial worth having. Many here said yes because fighting brings people, but he's been disappointing so far. The owners voiced support for his skills, openly supporting and paying for that form of hockey, Todd has also commented, yet still nothing.

I have to say Bordy's role should be changed, moved up the lines.

kettdevil1

Nobody is asking Bordy to fight every game.

He has more to offer, but his actions clearly show a frustration, at what, l don't believe it's because he wants to constantly fight and get blown out of an important games.

I believe he's frustrated being on a line that prevents him from getting on the ice and in the heads of the people causing the damage, he may well have been able to draw a penalty on a player and possibly removed. Maybe Lord is not prepared to take the risk.

Which ultimately asks the question is someone of Bordy's skills financial worth having. Many here said yes because fighting brings people, but he's been disappointing so far. The owners voiced support for his skills, openly supporting and paying for that form of hockey, Todd has also commented, yet still nothing.

I have to say Bordy's role should be changed, moved up the lines.

So which line would you have him on/who would he replace?

I had the same thought but given we are 11pts clear and there is no obvious switch I went for a 'if it ain't broke' approach....