Devils v Steelers - 27/11 @ 18:00 - League - Chat/Updates

Paul Sullivan

Doesn't play for us so I don't care.

Can't imagine that it's new fans that would have booed as they wouldn't know who he was from Adam so the football supporter analogy doesn't make sense.
That makes no sense, actually. Those of us who know Jonna and his history would never boo him - he has never been seen as a traitor for having a brilliant career, so likely it was indeed newer fans that booed him, and the analogy stands up.
He played well, deserved his MoM, and is one of our own who has given a great deal in a Devils jersey previously to being a Steeler.

If an individual played like a jerk and won MoM, that's one thing. But for me - dislike the team, even boo the team - but the Cardiff born, honourable guy who is the most successful British Captain in the EIHL winning MoM getting booed said more about those booing than the player who got the award. Just my £0.02.

In other news - what a bloody beautiful win. Fantastic.

Milky

Because our fans let our club down by booing a player who'd done nothing to deserve it. Was he booed simply because he was the opposition hence the football analogy.
No the football anaolgy doesn't make sense because it doesn't happen every week.

I didn't boo him so can't comment for those that did. I don't like to hear from a club perspective but those that did must have had a reason.

The fact that they booed him as an individual makes no difference to me in the slightest. If I'm not mistaken he last played for us over 10 years ago.

Paul Sullivan

No the football anaolgy doesn't make sense because it doesn't happen every week.

I didn't boo him so can't comment for those that did. I don't like to hear from a club perspective but those that did must have had a reason.

The fact that they booed him as an individual makes no difference to me in the slightest. If I'm not mistaken he last played for us over 10 years ago.
It doesn't happen every week because not every week do we see a team behave as Steelers did tonight. How long ago he played for us is irrelevant. John Lawless hasn't played for a while. He'll likely get a decent ovation on Weds, and he was originally a Peterborough player. I'm just saying I feel booing a team is fine, but (without any stupid or dangerous behaviour) booing an individual is crass, and unnecessary. We would criticise the Steelers for doing the same in reverse.

Anyway, Let's all enjoy the win and hopefully the rest of 2016-17.

jimmy snels

I thought the steelers netminder was superb tonight. was suprised he wasnt mom. booing jono: i didn't get it. Fitzgerald id have got and perhaps even joined in. jono though is a pretty passive duck who didn't seem to do anything to warrant it. but as he's a steeler I'll let it slide, just this once ... o_O

Kal

Boo Fitzy by all means he's a panto villain it's what he wants but it's very unsportsmanlike to boo opponents at the post game presentations we'd have enough to say about disrespect if they or anyone else did it to us.

I really enjoyed the game for the most part had a bit of everything would have liked to see someone take down fitzy but on our terms not his great discipline from us not to bite shame it took several cross checks and a few punches before he got his time in the box.

Mooney#16

Again just to point out to people it's a completely different dynamic leading a league to chasing. You play it completely different. You think if Devils are playing catch up to Steelers in the league right now Bordy would have been stopped. Hell no. He'd be terrorising Steelers grabbing momentum for his team. But the Devils are currently the team with momentum. Devils play Steelers quite a bit lately. They go down in a game by a few and watch the reaction.

Lordo has been accused of being out coached, no Plan B etc. Well as pointed out the last two years the Devils have been at the top of the league for fighting majors and where has it got them. Perhaps Lordo is now employing a Plan B. He's out coaching through disciplined hockey. Bordy clearly wants to go. Lordo is doing everything he can to win a league not a popularity contest. Bordy will go soon enough and he'll have to understand that is Lordo's call as he's dealing with the bigger picture and the expectation to deliver a league title. Kelman was a prat for calling out the team like he did and I'm glad Lordo is clearly strong enough in his convictions to continue to manage the team his way not for a blabber mouth boss and baying fans. Lordo is earning a lot of respect from me for this last week. He's a determined coach and currently he's getting it right. Remember the easy call is just to let Bordy go for it and if we lose you have the perfect fall guy but Lordo is showing exemplary leadership in making tough decisions in face of fan and management pressure. If he doubts himself and changes to the detriment of game results will Todd and the baying mob hold there hands up and apologise for a wrong call. Will they balls. The bloke is delivering. Get behind it or you'll deserve everything you're left with at the end of the season.

Wannabe2

Such a shame hearing Jono had been booed, I left soon as the final whistle went so thankfully didn't hear it. Jono is indeed one of us, like myself from Ely he was a valuable player as a devil, and probably had he not met his lovely wife who hails from sheffield would still be with us today. Great player GB International, and has already been stated, the most decorated Captain in the EIHL. Not a fan of booing myself, don't think there's any need for it.

mazza03

Fitzgerald took the piss all night and what did bordeleua do??

He needs to be released and fight for god sake or is he injured??

Unbelievable from the devils to let a player do what he wants. Batch or hotham or even lord should have fought him.

I thought we was lucky to win tonight steelers deserved it imo.

A win is a win though :)
But who was the one in the bin and who was still on the ice? Clever play I call it. I couldn't go last night not well, but we won and that's enough for me. Leave Bordy alone he knows what he's doing.

Devil_Abroad

How BIG have the 3 games been so far against Steelers and the importance of them considering our results against other teams?

Well if the 3 wins would have gone to them then they'd be 1 point ahead with 5 games in hand!

So their record against the rest of the league must be way better than ours.

I'm over the moon that we've built up this lead and it will no doubt put immense pressure on all their games in trying to catch us but at the same time we must do better in the games against the other teams.

We can do this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just hope this Bordy fighting situation doesn't cause a issue within the team. Some plonker has already tweeted Bordy asking why he isnt fighting. The man clearly wants to go and take someones head off on times and is called back by Lord. Lets hope Bordy doesnt play up to the calls off fans and we continue to play smart hockey. I wanted a reaction to some of Fitzgerald's antics in the 2nd period yesterday by all means, Batch was on the ice at the time Bordy wasnt what do you want him to do? leave the bench and get match/game bans? Be careful what you wish for people.

Finny

With regards Sheffield having better results against the rest of the league:
They haven't played Belfast away yet. We've played two and won one
They haven't played Nottinham away yet. We've played one and lost it.

The only other team they've lost to is Dundee away. We've already played there twice and won both games.

I'd argue that Sheffield have had a much easier fixture list than us, with less games and less travelling.

There is no denying that the tactic has been working, stats don't lie and the most important stat sees us 11 points cleat (accounting for Games In Hand) and I am a fan of what happened. Fitzy sat in the box for 2+2 watching our GWG.

BUT

Lordo has to be careful here. Noble annoyed him and he caned him, sometimes you have to allow this to happen. I sincerely hope that Bordy doesn't get too frustrated with the instructions and we lose his edge as that has value in the game.

As I say, it worked to perfection last night and I would rather be sat typing this with 2 points in the bag rather than hating Bordy getting a 10 + Game, in the showers whilst Roy pulled off one of his specials again

Devil_Abroad

With regards Sheffield having better results against the rest of the league:
They haven't played Belfast away yet. We've played two and won one
They haven't played Nottinham away yet. We've played one and lost it.

The only other team they've lost to is Dundee away. We've already played there twice and won both games.

I'd argue that Sheffield have had a much easier fixture list than us, with less games and less travelling.
As a Welshman, you've made me feel better, thank you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We all asked for protection of our players someone who will stand up for us and fight the other team.. now we are winning no one give a shit about the enforcer we all needed..

some fans cried out for a enforcer now we got one no one thinks we need him.. devils fans are really weird

Kal

just wondering why was it ok for Desbians to stay on the bench after he'd changed? Lordo wasn't allowed to do that when he got thrown out at Coventry

James

Administrator
We all asked for protection of our players someone who will stand up for us and fight the other team.. now we are winning no one give a shit about the enforcer we all needed..

some fans cried out for a enforcer now we got one no one thinks we need him.. devils fans are really weird
I don't think people are saying we don't need an enforcer. What they are saying is we don't need an enforcer to be fighting and sitting in a box. There is more to enforcing than throwing punches, something that Fitzgerald could learn.

Devil94

For me the worst hit of the night was when Haddad threw his hands up in Nelson's face just before the second goal. Imagine what Fitzy would have done after that if we didn't have Bordy. It's often the things that don't happen that makes players like Bordy effective.

Temme

Unbelievable some of the feedback here.

We are 11 pts clear at the top of the table.
People are still calling for change.

Fighting in hockey is not about going out every shift to punch the lights out of someone (at least not any more).

Fighting is tactical, to change momentum, or to enforce a code, not to think "it's a 1 goal game, I know what my team would benefit from here, if I leave the bench to fight, take an instigator penalty and get thrown out of the game & banned for leaving the bench."

Ultimately the referee was hard on Sheffield last night - this might not be a popular thing to say but I thought 95% went our way.
Haddad with a blatant X check to Nelson's face moments before Doucet's goal & very unusual for a player to be thrown out in the FIRST period for a double abuse of an official. Overall I thought he was strange on the night, and I wouldn't want him again in-case he made some of those calls against us.

Doucet's "hook" in the final minute - didn't buy that
Double abuse of an official in the FIRST period? - maybe he was just taking no nonsense, but harsh.
Haddad X Check/high stick on Nelson - no call
Goal given when it clearly hit post - (granted he reversed this one)
Fitzy's multiple roughs during scrum inc. gloved punches to 3 players - no call
Abuse on Nelson for going offside and calling the linesman a "f****** joke" - harsh - Lee Young/Matt Rose have been around long enough to handle that.

Couldn't care less though. We beat them and that's what the record will show.