Devils v Stars - Home & Away - Playoff QF's - Chat/Updates

Re: Devils v Stars - Home & Away - Playoff QF's - Chat/Updat

We turned the puck over way too many times all over the ice but especially when trying to get out of our defensive zone which made me wonder "have teams worked us out ?" , play their D high blocking up the neutral zone forcing our D to try to pass long which gets intercepted or try to skate through where they get checked , it ends up being a battle for the puck and we end up eventually dumping the puck to change the lines ?? I think a lot of coaches watched how Panthers nullified our offence in the CC final ?
I was looking forward to some passing hockey on the bigger ice pad but other than those minutes in the third we just didn't get any momentum going and just rattled the puck around the boards over and over ....Mr Lord , we need 3 X 1-0 periods tonight , good solid play off hockey !

ASHIPP

Whenever he could, or when he was injured and even when he wan't playing very well, Gerad would go to the bench to coach the game and see the bigger picture. He actually said it greatly refreshed him as both a player and a coach.

Lordo needs to do this...to step back and see the bigger picture, to refresh himself as a player. He is not playing well right now. He has too much emotional investment with the players and the game at the moment. It must be v difficult to see things clearly when you are trying to do everything.

In a Carlsberg world, tonight it would be great to see Hendrikx and Salters playing, Lordo motivating and analysing from the bench ....and clinical, intense, simple hockey being played.

We don't want pretty hockey with fancy moves and complicated systems....just a team who can adapt their game plan with the passion and determination to win whatever it takes.

Will it happen?

nicky27

Anyone know how and when the team travelled up?

I was so disappointed last night. Was so sure we would be OK. Hopefully we will be OK but it will be hard.

ASHIPP

buzzwagon said:
I believe the team are flying up
Makes it all the more embarassing doesn't it? A short-benched Stars completely outplayed our team last night...and had travelled at least 8 hours by bus to get here.

pjj365

Electro said:
The owners have commented they want hard hitting entertaining hockey.

Its ridiculous to say that because a few here have debated that fights are unnecessary has caused Andrew to reduce them.

I don't see how getting a few boys to scrap would have increased the poor skills shown yesterday. If it could, then bigger questions need to be asked.

The Devils need to turn up tonight, get a score line around 5 or 6 and a shut out. Then less questions can be asked.

I hope that if we don't turn this around, serious management needs to turn up and all members of the team including Lord and Franny have to be seriously reevaluated.
Let's not confuse planned fights with hard hitting aggressive Hendo type hockey which csn lead to fights. If this is what Lordo is trying to avoid then it will not work

Avoiding fights in a high tempo game (they still happen in NHL) is almost certainly difficult but Code type retribution fighting should be reduced if not eliminated (probably impossible).

At the end of the day though support from newbies will come from success. It is that which gets publicity not the scraps which some suggest is the main attraction

Not once have I expressed criticism about the devils in the last two seasons, but last night has to be considered unacceptable on a basic level. I took a first timer to the game - he commented "is there this little passion and commitment shown usually?". If it's evident to someone who's never been to a game before, that speaks volumes. Something has gone seriously wrong in the mindset in the last 6 weeks - at least that's what it looks like from the outside looking in.

I think Lord needs to take a long hard look at himself.I don't think he has played well for a while now and with Hervato flying around hitting everything maybe it's time Lord took a rest.
We need to be solid at the back tonight and for me Hendrikx has been our most solid D-Man this year. Thought Mo and Culligan were quiet last night too,shows how much we need these two. We are two goals behind and have 60 minutes to put that right,we need to start at the back.It's no good scoring 3 if we let them score 2. We are not out of this and if we score first the pressure will swing onto the Stars. I'm not going to write us off just yet.

Electro said:

Its ridiculous to say that because a few here have debated that fights are unnecessary has caused Andrew to reduce them.

I don't see how getting a few boys to scrap would have increased the poor skills shown yesterday. If it could, then bigger questions need to be asked.

The Devils need to turn up tonight, get a score line around 5 or 6 and a shut out. Then less questions can be asked.

I hope that if we don't turn this around, serious management needs to turn up and all members of the team including Lord and Franny have to be seriously reevaluated.
At least tonight has proved something 3100 is a big enough capacity

Gohabsgo said:
Not once have I expressed criticism about the devils in the last two seasons, but last night has to be considered unacceptable on a basic level. I took a first timer to the game - he commented "is there this little passion and commitment shown usually?". If it's evident to someone who's never been to a game before, that speaks volumes. Something has gone seriously wrong in the mindset in the last 6 weeks - at least that's what it looks like from the outside looking in.
Same as me, no criticism of club or team in last two seasons but last night was absolute shite

I can't comment on the game itself as I wasn't there but we managed to drawn against one of the "easier" teams, had the home leg first but couldn't even get a win on the board. Very disappointing but we know that they can play and are capable of turning the result around. Let's hope that they turn up.

Ocko

Something is just seriously wrong with the team at the moment. It's hard to say what it is, we are stacked for talent and potentially (lineup dictating) for toughness too; but for some reason seem to be playing within ourselves. And the team selection is bizarre, play off hockey and we drop the two biggest players. Dundee would've been laughing their heads off when they seen our lineup.

This is the playoffs for god sake, any hockey fan would expect to see the biggest hits, fights and passion you would've seen all year at this point of the season. Not a team too scared to take a penalty. We've a team of pussies for too long and it's probably too late to put it right. Absolutely gutted how we've performed and how the season is likely to turn out.

jodysstillagirlsname said:
Gohabsgo said:
Same as me, no criticism of club or team in last two seasons but last night was absolute shite
I have so enjoyed the last 2 seasons and its so disappointing we find our self in this dire position after being in such a great position 6 weeks ago. My biggest disappointment last night was walking into a rink far from being sold out on our last home game and it being play offs where did they all go...i have never posted anything negative and will just continue to give loyal support. I guess the owners, management etc will reassess the situation in the summer. in the meantime lets get behind our team and pray to the hockey gods

kettdevil1

Anyone pondered the fact that Dundee executed their game plan to perfection, Koenig played a stormer and Lefevre rode his top lines to exhaustion?

Frustrating night.... Three individual errors cost us and we allowed frustration to get to us. I still think the tie is finely poised and wouldn't want to call it.

The Inferno appears to be turning into The Cage....

kettdevil1

Glover said:
I can't comment on the game itself as I wasn't there but we managed to drawn against one of the "easier" teams, had the home leg first but couldn't even get a win on the board. Very disappointing but we know that they can play and are capable of turning the result around. Let's hope that they turn up.
See, with respect I didn't see Dundee as an easier team as we always seem to struggle against them. They play on the break and with too many rushing D men we are always vulnerable to a team like that.

We need to be disciplined tonight and take our chances, no need to go gung ho early on and certainly no need for our D to jump into the play without bring certain we have cover. Culli is superb at giving us cover, other forwards less so....

Diafol

It's not over just yet.
Granted it's not looking that bright, but there's still a slight gilmmer of hope.

Glass half full and all that...

pjj365

Attendance last night sureky had more to do with

1 Massive hype last weekend about last game of the season - confusing to newbies
2 A lot of people rate the leauge but not interested in playoffs
3 It is the Easter Holiday - schools out

Don't think we should read too much into lower attendance figures Anyone know what they were

Electro

jodysstillagirlsname said:
Electro said:

At least tonight has proved something 3100 is a big enough capacity
Your not expecting the team to improve and expand then.

Slartibartfast

Dundee did play well but they are still a mediocre team. We have played and beat much better teams than that.
I just don't know what to say anymore. I can't believe how good and bad this team can play.
We are like the Jekyll and Hyde of hockey.
So many passes were not to the stick and the communication was appalling with both players sometimes leaving the puck for the other only for a Dundee player to pick it up.
It all seems to be since we had players spare leading to chopping and changes of the lines.

One positive note was Doucets goal which was one of the best I have seen this year.

Lets hope the Jekyll team turn up in Dundee tonight.

Wannabe2

Hope to god Hendo gets the nod tonight, this guy commits his body more than any of the other to the Devils cause, he would go through a brick wall for our club, how many of the others can that be said about. He really is a fans favourite, and give everything for this club. Fans by the bucket load has said he has been our best D Man for quite awhile now, but if we ain't carefull he could be pummelling a few Devils players next season, Jesus we even play he came in like a wrecking ball numerous times when he is playing, well the wrecking ball ain't being allowed to wreck, Justin Faryna who I would love to see at Cardiff had a friggin field day last night, levelling Hotham, and a few others, could have done with the wrecking ball to stop that nonsense. Hope the lads do it tonight, but it could just be a bridge too far..