Devils v Stars - Home & Away - Playoff QF's - Chat/Updates

Wannabe2

Re: Devils v Stars - Home & Away - Playoff QF's - Chat/Updat

Electro said:
jodysstillagirlsname said:
Electro said:
The owners have commented they want hard hitting entertaining hockey.

Its ridiculous to say that because a few here have debated that fights are unnecessary has caused Andrew to reduce them.

I don't see how getting a few boys to scrap would have increased the poor skills shown yesterday. If it could, then bigger questions need to be asked.

The Devils need to turn up tonight, get a score line around 5 or 6 and a shut out. Then less questions can be asked.

I hope that if we don't turn this around, serious management needs to turn up and all members of the team including Lord and Franny have to be seriously reevaluated.
At least tonight has proved something 3100 is a big enough capacity
Your not expecting the team to improve and expand then.
Well if they don't improve they won't have to expand.

august04

kettdevil1 said:
Anyone pondered the fact that Dundee executed their game plan to perfection, Koenig played a stormer and Lefevre rode his top lines to exhaustion?

Frustrating night.... Three individual errors cost us and we allowed frustration to get to us. I still think the tie is finely poised and wouldn't want to call it.

The Inferno appears to be turning into The Cage....
No and I don't intend to. Devils were absolutely crap, end of. And Koenig didn't have a stormer - he really didn't have that much to do. And what cost us was a lack of skill, intensity, heart and commitment (except for a 5 minute spell in the 3rd). You really had those rose tinted specs on last night.

kettdevil1 said:
Glover said:
I can't comment on the game itself as I wasn't there but we managed to drawn against one of the "easier" teams, had the home leg first but couldn't even get a win on the board. Very disappointing but we know that they can play and are capable of turning the result around. Let's hope that they turn up.
See, with respect I didn't see Dundee as an easier team as we always seem to struggle against them. They play on the break and with too many rushing D men we are always vulnerable to a team like that.

We need to be disciplined tonight and take our chances, no need to go gung ho early on and certainly no need for our D to jump into the play without bring certain we have cover. Culli is superb at giving us cover, other forwards less so....
I agree which is why I put it in quotes. I think before hand we would have rather had them than Coventry or Belfast. Dundee is a tough place to get a result which is why I hoped we could have racked up a good win at home.

august04

Wannabe2 said:
Hope to god Hendo gets the nod tonight, this guy commits his body more than any of the other to the Devils cause, he would go through a brick wall for our club, how many of the others can that be said about. He really is a fans favourite, and give everything for this club. Fans by the bucket load has said he has been our best D Man for quite awhile now, but if we ain't carefull he could be pummelling a few Devils players next season, Jesus we even play he came in like a wrecking ball numerous times when he is playing, well the wrecking ball ain't being allowed to wreck, Justin Faryna who I would love to see at Cardiff had a friggin field day last night, levelling Hotham, and a few others, could have done with the wrecking ball to stop that nonsense. Hope the lads do it tonight, but it could just be a bridge too far..
Agreed. Hendrikx would be one of the first I'd re-sign for next year but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he'd decided he's had enough and signed elsewhere. I think he's been treated unfairly on the playing front this year. Shame Faryna has signed up at Dundee for next year too, I like the way he plays and he would have been a good fit for the way Devils used to play.

Makes me wonder if things are just a little bit too comfortable in Cardiff for the squad and Lordo.

Look at Sheffield this season, and credit to Thommo (although I cringe in writing this), he's prepared to gas underperforming players should they not be performing - and rightly so as a professional coach. Same for many other sides.

Lordo hasn't gassed a player in the past 2 years - and quite a few could have been shipped out for under-performing!

Is the coach too close to the players? Is Cardiff too relaxed with imports knowing that once signed they are certain to see out their contracts?

Major changes required to this team for next season.

Would be happy to see Bowns and all the brits return plus Martin, Hendrickx and Hervato but the rest can go.

Gospel

Having watched the game last night i dont understand how we let Dundee out muscle us in our own barn in a play off game. Dundee were far hungrier than us and were first to pretty much everything and if they were second they made things as difficult as they possible could. They finished there checks and stuck to their game plan.

We seem to be stuck in game plan of trying to score the perfect pass pass pass goal when we need to mix it up. G was heavily criticised for the dump & chase game that he employed, now we are at the opposite end of th scale. It wouldnt hurt us to dump it into the corner & crash somebodies once in a while.

Lordo needs to take a step back to, he doesnt seem to trust anybody else to do things on the ice like take face offs.

Id love us to win tonight but i just dont think we'll play the game or style of hockey that will be able to do it.

backrow

I'm sorry but I can't see any of the Brits and those 3 players wanting to come back under those conditions!

Electro

I agree about Sheffield, Tommo is under no illusion that not only players are gassed, if he isn't making the right calls he's out as well.

You can't say the same for Lord or Franny. In my opinion it's the roles both are in that needs changing.

Looking back its been a good season, we are finally out of the bbt. Tonight maybe a different chapter in a turbulent year, l think we can pull of a win a get to the next round. For the changes the club has gone through winning the league, the CC in yr 2 was always going to be ambitious.

Foxy

kettdevil1 said:
Anyone pondered the fact that Dundee executed their game plan to perfection, Koenig played a stormer and Lefevre rode his top lines to exhaustion?

Frustrating night.... Three individual errors cost us and we allowed frustration to get to us. I still think the tie is finely poised and wouldn't want to call it.

The Inferno appears to be turning into The Cage....
Trouble is Koenig didnt play a stormer he didnt have too. There was no offensive threat until the third period and that was for a spell of 10 minutes. Apart from Hervato, Haddad and culligan nobody finished a check. Too many turn overs from defense and no heart..... which isnt a devils team. This is two seasons in a row when the pressure has been on and the team has bottled it. This is taking nothing away from Dundee they played a good play off road game. If only the passion Clarkson showed last night could be found in our team :(

Its not over we have still got tonight but the team has to play for a full 60 minutes get the two goals back quick and not sit on their arses

Russky

To be fair I thought that Dundee played out their game plan and effectively executed an ideal 'road game' in closing down the Devils down in the neutral zone denying them space and time to get any offensive moves going.

Admittedly Devils did play well below par apart from the 6 minutes leading up to the Dundee time out in the 3rd.

It seemed to me that Hervato Martin and Bowns were the only ones to turn up last night. Hudson and Culligan kept getting caught out of position in the D zone and generally playing too much suicidal hockey in that zone, getting turned over repeatedly.

I can understand to a degree why they rested Hendo as Dundee didnt have an out an out enforcer, having said that they did forecheck hard, finish their hits and play with alot more intensity and physicality than the Devils seemed to.

I am hoping for Lazurus like recovery from the boys in order to turnover the two goal deficit into a tie winning margin and therefore onwards to Nottingham next weekend - More in hope than expectation.

backrow

Russky, Culli was playing forward all night. Actually, he is excellent at reading the play, helping in the corners in the D zone, intercepting passes to the slot area and picking up players going into the slot area.

He was guilty of having a short pass to Hervato outside the Stars blueline knocked down just before the 3 on 2 rush by the Stars that led to their 3rd goal.

Actually Hervato, Haddad and Culli were probably the Devils most effective and hardest working line and probably deserved more ice time than they received.

ASHIPP

Wannabe2 said:
Hope to god Hendo gets the nod tonight, this guy commits his body more than any of the other to the Devils cause, he would go through a brick wall for our club, how many of the others can that be said about. He really is a fans favourite, and give everything for this club. Fans by the bucket load has said he has been our best D Man for quite awhile now, but if we ain't carefull he could be pummelling a few Devils players next season, Jesus we even play he came in like a wrecking ball numerous times when he is playing, well the wrecking ball ain't being allowed to wreck, Justin Faryna who I would love to see at Cardiff had a friggin field day last night, levelling Hotham, and a few others, could have done with the wrecking ball to stop that nonsense. Hope the lads do it tonight, but it could just be a bridge too far..
Spot on. What is infuriating is that there are other players who clearly need to be benched because they haven't been playing well recently, being allowed to play ahead of a solid defeceman who is also a fan favorite.

Give a good player a reason like that to get frustrated and he won't want to play here anymore. Imagine how many fans will be angry about that...just like Matthew Myers' departure....which I don't doubt the Club regrets now.

Ocko

I'd disagree Russky. Dundee have two legit heavyweights in Clarkson and Faryna, as well as Lidhammer who hits everything. They are light on D admittedly but not in their forwards. We needed a tough D man.

I didn't think they played a 'road game' in a traditional sense as they forechecked hard with 2 men, not 1. We just can't seem to cope with a 2 man forecheck and have been found out. Every team that has adopted it has had success against us. Our forwards sit too high and the D man is pressured to make a pass, usually a bad one, from his own end across the neutral zone. It's so simple and easy to fix, we just never adjusted for whatever reason. They just need to go back to basics with a 2 or 3 forward break out from their own end - the sort of thing you teach juniors. That's how you get around it, then they get out numbered defensively. Even when they played a trap we kept forwards high, it's strange why we persisted with it when it wasn't working. We don't earn the right to be in the opponents end of the ice enough, lazy breakouts with high forwards cost us. No timeout either, despite needing one. Dundee called one at the right time and it got them back ahead in the game.

Russky

backrow said:
He was guilty of having a short pass to Hervato outside the Stars blueline knocked down just before the 3 on 2 rush by the Stars that led to their 3rd goal.

Actually Hervato, Haddad and Culli were probably the Devils most effective and hardest working line and probably deserved more ice time than they received.
Point taken. Just stating an opinion based on what I saw from my position sitting high up in Block 5.

If i was a devils player i wouldn't be happy anyways!

End of the season and no one knows who there paired with from one game to the next!!

It's terrible coaching and someone tell me what Francis is doing on the bench surely he must know of Lord don't by now??

Lord is a really nice guy but we need a professional coach not amateur.

BostonBart22

whats happened to our two dummies stood on the players bench, ok franny is a good recruiter , but for me they dont get the team fired up when the chips are down , they both should have being laying into those players after going 4...2 down , no time out, no shouting , its as if they have booked their summer holidays and just wanted the season to end last night. :x :x

Wannabe2 said:
Salters ditched not sure who else
Doucet is the other one!

MASSIVE call by Lordo. Should have maybe dropped himself an played Doucet! .... I hope this pays off.

august04

kingmo19.2 said:
Wannabe2 said:
Salters ditched not sure who else
Doucet is the other one!

MASSIVE call by Lordo. Should have maybe dropped himself an played Doucet! .... I hope this pays off.
Doucet has been pretty much anonymous for weeks. His goal scoring record is superb but his work rate and the rest of his game isn't up to the same level for me. He's an out and out sniper though and gets goals. Brave call.

backrow

Dickinson clamped down on Russell's stick under his arm to draw one early penalty.