Devils v Stars - Home & Away - Playoff QF's - Chat/Updates

Finny

Re: Devils v Stars - Home & Away - Playoff QF's - Chat/Updat

jimmy snels said:
Dispite the mocking manner in which your approaching this finny we 100% choked this year and im not suprised other fan bases are calling us out on it. The reasoning can be discussed i would suggest in the off season but to again offer no opinion on a subject but post just to dismiss others is incredibly frustrating. Can i assume you think everything we could possibly have done was done, the players were fully motivated, we were tactically sound and the scheduling was perfect for example? As a forum it's here to discuss the team not just to repeatedly say "we're the best", "our owners are amazing" & "its the refs fault". If a fan thinks he didn't see enough coming from the bench (i assume he sits close to it :? ) why not say so? It could be a factor in our poor end of season form
I posted that I agreed with bdevils's thoughts. I could have re-typed the whole thing again but I was on my iPad and felt that was enough.

They mentioned that to say we choked is too clichéd. I 100% agree with that. For me, choking is when it's easier to win than it is to lose. I never saw that. It wasn't like we were 5-0 up in a game and lost. That would be choking. We were a couple of points ahead but the other teams had games in hand. And I'd be surprised if anyone didn't agree we had a tougher schedule than our other title rivals. Belfast got themselves right back in the title race. Did they choke too? Did everyone choke except Sheffield? Although they lost the CC SF 10-0. And got knocked out of the Playoffs by the lowest placed team. Perhaps they did choke too?

I also don't agree with the suggestion we choked in the big games. How do you define a big game? Hence my suggestion "it's only a big game if you lose".

I bet if you go through the inferno game threads from the start of the season, most of them have at least one person claiming "this is a big game".
The away win in Sheffield was a big game we won. The following night was a big game we lost. The two CC Semi-Finals against Belfast were big games, and we won them both. The CC Final was a big game, and we lost in OT.
Those two opening games at IAW against Belfast were both big. We won them both. The game in Belfast was big, we lost it. The two games on the final weekend were both big games. We won them both.

I'd actually say the Playoff 1st leg against Dundee wasn't a big game. And perhaps that was the problem - we didn't treat it like it was. The 2nd leg was definitely a big game. And we won.

bdevil

Yes Yes Yes to the above.

We lost the league because we went on a bad run at a bad time. That is not choking. If some feel it is, that is their opinion. With our run in, we needed more from the Sheffield Home - Nottingham away fixtures. 4 league fixtures in a row without a point being picked up. This run ended still with 5 league games to play. That to me is too early in the season to call it a "choke". If we were 4 points ahead with 3 games to go, lost the 3 and lost the league then that's a choke.

And KaneDevil, I apologise, but I can never put my rose tinted specs aside, The Devils are my team. I get annoyed as much as anyone when we play poorly and when we lose but this season has been a huge success. Period.

jimmy snels

bdevil said:

We lost the league because we went on a bad run at a bad time. That is not choking. If some feel it is, that is their opinion. With our run in, we needed more from the Sheffield Home - Nottingham away fixtures. 4 league fixtures in a row without a point being picked up. This run ended still with 5 league games to play. That to me is too early in the season to call it a "choke". If we were 4 points ahead with 3 games to go, lost the 3 and lost the league then that's a choke.

And KaneDevil, I apologise, but I can never put my rose tinted specs aside, The Devils are my team. I get annoyed as much as anyone when we play poorly and when we lose but this season has been a huge success. Period.
Do you think we've improved since last season? Not setting u up for an argument just intrigued as to your view

Wannabe2

jimmy snels said:
bdevil said:

Do you think we've improved since last season? Not setting u up for an argument just intrigued as to your view
Think if we hadn't we wouldn't be going to the POffs.

KaneDevils

We lost the league because we lost our momentum, started to play bad and lost hockey games. Sheffield had to play Coventry, and won. They also had to go to Fife, they did, and won. Maybe 'bottled' would be a more suitable word than 'choked'?

bdevil, yes of course, we all hate it when we lose, but be honest in defeat. (in general, not necessarily yourself) Too many times when losing a game, people say we lost because of "bad luck", "poor officiating", "bus legs", etc. If we've played shit, then say it.

To me, after a defeat, if your opinion is, "oh well, onwards and upwards", simply shows a lack of passion. As a Devil, I don't want second place. Determined, gutsy, 100% hockey comes as standard. Sometimes this season, that has been missing, and certain players have not given their all.

Wannabe2

What I do think is that we were a feistier team last season, do you agree or am I way off, I thought we stuck up for each better last season.

I'm sure it happens on all teams that all the players don't seem to be giving their all on some nights whether it's because of illness, injury or fatigue.

However, there have been nights when I thought certain players because of their effort deserved more ice time than they received but didn't get it.

jimmy snels

Wannabe2 said:
What I do think is that we were a feistier team last season, do you agree or am I way off, I thought we stuck up for each better last season.
Spot on we won the CC as well as being more entertaining IMO. I hate seeing any team push a devils around on home ice.

Electro

Finny said:
That's a very odd comment to make unless you spend the whole game watching the bench instead of the action on the ice. Which would again be very odd.
Not really, most animated coaches can draw the attention of fans.

drainage

KaneDevils said:
We lost the league because we lost our momentum, started to play bad and lost hockey games. Sheffield had to play Coventry, and won. They also had to go to Fife, they did, and won. Maybe 'bottled' would be a more suitable word than 'choked'?

bdevil, yes of course, we all hate it when we lose, but be honest in defeat. (in general, not necessarily yourself) Too many times when losing a game, people say we lost because of "bad luck", "poor officiating", "bus legs", etc. If we've played shit, then say it.

To me, after a defeat, if your opinion is, "oh well, onwards and upwards", simply shows a lack of passion. As a Devil, I don't want second place. Determined, gutsy, 100% hockey comes as standard. Sometimes this season, that has been missing, and certain players have not given their all.
As I head towards my 30th season following Devils I disagree the onwards and upwards sentiment displays a lack of passion .......it does however show an acceptance of situation

No team enters a season wanting not to take the cups/leagues on offer surely ? But the beauty of this sport is the highs and the reality is the lows , can we point to some games that cost us ? course we can can 8 other teams find more to fault yes they surely can. I would take what we have now over any team below us

Without a doubt some players had bad days or games but when did we declare they weren't human beings ? Yes they are professional players I am a professional project manager I have crap days in work (and likely earn more than them but don't get sacked vilified or berated for an off day)

I would love us to win league and believe we will .....but regardless I will be back next season ploughing in money that would get me an all inclusive month in the Carribean to follow my team and enjoy the ride !

Hockey is to me more than a sport .....it's given me memories , friends , enjoyment , tears , anger, laughter , and some of the best times ever