***Devils v Panthers - Sun ****9PM**** - Chat/Updates

nmase20 said:
0 point weekend, not good enough.
I agree with you. I know its still tight with the top 5 teams, but we can't keep losing to many games as we could be in trouble. We must try and win our home games though.

august04

Despite the delay, I enjoyed the game tonight. A real tough encounter and I thought the Devils played well, gave everything they had but were beaten by a better team. Some of the refereeing was terrible from Darnell again (hope we see more of Dean Smith in the coming weeks) but he wasn't the reason we lost. I was impressed with Nottingham, the best team I've seen so far this season by a long way. We are badly missing the creativity of Smithy and need him back soon, or a replacement needs to be sorted out if we're going to challenge for the title.

Dai Vader said:
We must try and win our home games though.
Ah that's where we're going wrong, we weren't "trying" to win our home games - genius idea...

Now where is that sarcasm icon????

Despite the loss, it was an enjoyable game, fast tempo against two of the leagues best teams IMHO - this is probably the hardest weekend to get results - away to Belfast followed by a home game against a very good Panthers team....I actually thought we played well tonight, and the game could have gone either way...

My only concern is our line changes - we coughed up 2 goals from poor line changes and that needs to be sorted out...but the effort was there from the players tonight, especially Miller, who was my MoM - he just never stopped tonight...

Long way to go yet....

Overall I am a very dissapointed fan this week.
I don't mind the delays, as they couldn't be helped.
I don't blame the team for losing tonight, as I thought they played well.
I DO mind the standard of officiating that took place. DARNELL SHOULD BE BANNED FROM REFING, he hasn't just had one bad game (Belfast) where he missed blatent trips and punches etc. but he managed to somehow do this again...

I am so annoyed.
I don't know how the league can put these reffs out onto the ice without feeling embaressed???
The sad thing is, I love hockey so much that I wouldn't be able to just not go anymore... atleast untill another high quality alternative was provided locally in Cardiff. e.g. EPL

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Alright then Smart arse, *WE MUST WIN OUR HOME GAMES THEN* DOH, CLOWN
Dwoods said:
Dai Vader said:
We must try and win our home games though.
Ah that's where we're going wrong, we weren't "trying" to win our home games - genius idea...

Now where is that sarcasm icon????

Despite the loss, it was an enjoyable game, fast tempo against two of the leagues best teams IMHO - this is probably the hardest weekend to get results - away to Belfast followed by a home game against a very good Panthers team....I actually thought we played well tonight, and the game could have gone either way...

My only concern is our line changes - we coughed up 2 goals from poor line changes and that needs to be sorted out...but the effort was there from the players tonight, especially Miller, who was my MoM - he just never stopped tonight...

Long way to go yet....

scottydoesntknow said:
The sad thing is, I love hockey so much that I wouldn't be able to just not go anymore... atleast untill another high quality alternative was provided locally in Cardiff. e.g. EPL
But would the reffing be any better in the EPL? The guys we've got are the best available....worrying I know!

Ger-Devils

bluedevil said:
scottydoesntknow said:
But would the reffing be any better in the EPL? The guys we've got are the best available....worrying I know!
Two of the rest were infront of us in Block 1. Hicks and Smith. Not sure what was wrong with them, maybe ill or taken a knock but would have preferred either out there than Darnell!

DevilDom

I agree that Darnel was (AGAIN) very poor tonight, however i'm not sure if having a different ref would have changed the result?

I thought we played well and should almost have had the game out of site by the end of the 1st. The goal we gave away at the end of that period was a killer and Nottingham pounced on that in the 2nd and punished us every time we made a mistake.

Very good game, dissapointed with Darnell and the result.

Darnell was unbelievably poor... AGAIN. While he didn't cost us the game, i think he certainly cost us a point and possibly 2. Not so sure the first goal should've been allowed. I thought it hit Lyle on the mask but Darnell didnt stop the game after it. This let them back in the game.

Didnt see the fight start but i struggle to see how G managed to get 10+5+2 for fighting when the panthers seemed be able to rough us up all night as they wished with no penalies...

Brads penalty for 'charging' seemed very harsh. Looked like a clean check to me unlike a few of their hits.

How did Darnell not call the trip on Miller?

The list goes on.

The general standard of reffing is quite low but what ive seen of Darnell is a just a joke. Not really any other way to put it.

Something needs to be done on the reffing front.

Tough weekend for the team. Seemed to play well apart from a few dodgy changes and defensive errors but no need to worry just yet. We're nicely poised

Ivydrive said:
Didnt see the fight start but i struggle to see how G managed to get 10+5+2 for fighting when the panthers seemed be able to rough us up all night as they wished with no penalies...
G got to 2+10 for instigating the fight by stepping off the bench and giving Richardson the pasting he deserved.
All in all I enjoyed the game, the panthers are a good team to play against and I would much prefer to see there style of hockey then the clutching grabbing Giants.

No shortage of effort from the Devils last night - just a bit short on execution.
Miller was absolutely everywhere and must have been in contention for MOM.

Whilst some have said on this topic that Mr Darnell didn't cost Cardiff the game - He certainly made it easier for the Panthers to take more from the game than they should have.

The big problem the Devils seem to have with Mr Darnell's version of the rules is the lack of CONSISTENT DECISIONS - now I imagine that if Mr Darnell reads this forum that will be a difficult concept for him to understand - it means your treat both sides the same YOU PILCHARD!!

phil PLT said:
Ivydrive said:
G got to 2+10 for instigating the fight by stepping off the bench and giving Richardson the pasting he deserved.
All in all I enjoyed the game, the panthers are a good team to play against and I would much prefer to see there style of hockey then the clutching grabbing Giants.

Clutching and grabbing hmm yes that must be why they scored 11 goals this weekend and conceeded 1 :shock:

Rempel16

Darnell, for the 2nd time in a week, lost the game completely and unfortunately it makes a mockery of the sport.

The guy doesn't have the resilience to make the calls when blatant infringements happen right in front of him! That goes for both sides mind.

All in all it was a good game that was ruined by a referee, Voth told him what was going to happen if he didn't make the calls and that is what it led to. Fortunately for us i would imagine the camera was watching the play for the empty net goal, so Voth might get away with his cross check to Richardson.

It was great to watch G jump the bench to put that little idiot Richardson on his backside. He was more than happy to perform the chicken dance to Jay, but when G stepped up you could literally see Bruce pants himself.

I thought Miller had an excellent game, as did Max. Romfo looked rather solid too.

I felt that we were unlucky to not get anything from the game, but for a couple of errors which led directly to Panthers goals.

I feel that we will still be in the mix come March, but we do need Smithy back soon to provide that extra notch of quality.

James

Administrator
I enjoyed the game despite the reffing and result. Dean Smith apparently still isnt well so Darnell stood in. I'm glad we had someone to ref the game but why o why does it have to be him. Shocking, shocking calls. Misses every initial infraction and calls the retaliation. Miller was awesome last night, I did loose count of the amount of cross checks to the face he took without anything being called. He still battled for every puck. Max was excellent too and Romfo is looking very solid.

I'm sure Coach Corey only leaves the ice when he takes a penalty.

Finny

august04 said:
Despite the delay, I enjoyed the game tonight. A real tough encounter and I thought the Devils played well, gave everything they had but were beaten by a better team. Some of the refereeing was terrible from Darnell again (hope we see more of Dean Smith in the coming weeks) but he wasn't the reason we lost. I was impressed with Nottingham, the best team I've seen so far this season by a long way. We are badly missing the creativity of Smithy and need him back soon, or a replacement needs to be sorted out if we're going to challenge for the title.
Seconded.

I actually thought we were the better team for a lot of the game last night - it was a very good game despite Darnell best efforts to ruin it. He was shocking as stated - but he did not cost us the game.

I thought the Devils energy levels were really good, and apart from the usual poor 2nd period where we coughed up some soft goals due to poor line changes, we looked good and hungry for the win.

Thought Miller played a very impressive game for us, and was definitely my MoM...cannot fault the effort from the team last night that is for sure...

But Nottingham are a very good team don't forget...

Gazza272

When oh When is Darnell going to learn, when you go to a player to tell him not to do something again he is instantly going to know to do it again! Darnell loses control of every single game by going to have his naughty boy chats with the benches, Frustratingly against Belfast and Nottingham now he has been talking to the away bench a lot more.

Last night could have got seriously out of hand, by the third period Miller and Danny Meyers (i think could have been another D man) were trading Cross checks to the face how one of them didnt get seriously hurt by being that silly i will never know.

In some ways i feel Franny should take some of the blame for last night, two of the goals came from poor line changes, and the usual steady ship Franny runs on the bench came apart in that second period. Still we were always in the game and if it wasnt for a post and a god knows what keeping the puck out late in the third we'ed have got something from that game.

Having seen both games of the weekend i would Say Miller was the stand out guy and he looks really settled now. And after Criticising him last week i will turn it around and say a big well done to Romfo. Solid all weekend, best weekend in a Devils jersey for my money, i hope he keeps it up!

Frustrating weekend again, we desperatly need Smith to give opposition teams something to think about. And it will be interesting to see if G does de register himself weather he is going to go looking for a guy to help out with the scoring, as i do think we need another puck in the net guy, just to give teams something extra to worry about.

Obviously comedy moment of the night was Richardson going from doing a chicken dance, to being sprawled on the floor then going to the bench whinging 'oh look ref the nasty man hurt me' I have never seen a player take so many ass Kickings over a career. Still i dont think he will be going near Mr Adams anytime soon :lol:

Finny

Up until he got the crap beaten out of him, Richardson always used the door to the bench nearest the Devils bench.
Afterwards, and for the rest of the game, he used the far entrance! :lol:

I agree about Romfo too. Our defence struggled at times last night but Romfo seemed to have one of his better games.

Gazza272

Also, why wasnt Miller Awarded a penalty shot in the third period? clean through on goal and hooked?

Franny was shouting for it and i believe i am correct in that the ruling would allow such a call to be made?